Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #25 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Patty, a couple points and questions: Yes, resaving an edited image as JPEG degrades the image somewhat; how much has been the subject of great debate here for many months. I guess it would be fair to say that the more editing you do, the more the compression associated with JPEG can cause degradation, but it's probably not that simple. The safest bet is to use PSD or TIFF for saving your working images and go to copies in JPEG for e-mail and web purposes. What version of Photoshop do you have? Version 7.0, the latest to be released, has ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Challenge #25

    Patty, a couple points and questions:

    Yes, resaving an edited image as JPEG degrades the image somewhat; how much
    has been the subject of great debate here for many months. I guess it would
    be fair to say that the more editing you do, the more the compression
    associated with JPEG can cause degradation, but it's probably not that
    simple. The safest bet is to use PSD or TIFF for saving your working images
    and go to copies in JPEG for e-mail and web purposes.

    What version of Photoshop do you have? Version 7.0, the latest to be
    released, has the Photomerge (stitching) capability you're seeking; it also
    has Save for Web, which makes it easy to generate a small JPEG for forum
    use. Not sure what the upgrade cost is for registered users of prior
    versions of Photoshop, but it may be in the $150 range - which, in my mind,
    would make it a good investment for all its extra capabilities. On the
    other hand, if you think that may be 'overbuy' for you (more features than
    you would use), the price of Elements is less than $100 and with rebates and
    coupons sometimes as low as $30 or thereabouts.

    Have fun, whichever way you decide to go!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  2. #22

    Marilyn,

    The eyes under the log... that touch adds so much, for me. Bravo!

    Weary,

    Who's lurking in the shadows?

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  3. #23

    Patty, hi again! You absolutely did not commit a forum 'faux pas' - the
    only faux pas on this forum is treating someone in an unfriendly manner,
    something not done around here...! The JPEG discussion is one worth
    repeating, and we've had new input on it as more folks join the dialogue.

    In Photoshop 7, you'll find the Photomerge function buried under
    File>Automate along with a bunch of other useful functions. It appears to
    be identical or at least very similar to that found in Elements, so anything
    you read about Photomerge in one should be applicable to the other.

    With respect to the Challenge image, I download it in the largest form Grant
    posts it (which is a JPEG), then save it as a TIFF or PSD after I begin to
    fiddle with it. That's usually necessary anyway, because I use layers for
    most editing and want to preserve those layers between editing sessions;
    TIFF and PSD will do that, but JPEG will not. Then when I reach the end of
    the trail and I decide it's time to send it to Grant, I go to Save for Web.
    To get the size I need to meet the Challenge specs, I go first to the Image
    Size box in the lower right and change the longer pixel dimension to 800
    (which automatically changes the shorter dimension to 600 or whatever,
    depending on the proportions of the original image). Then, at the bottom of
    the optimized picture display, there's a number in the left corner that's
    the file size in k bytes. I want that to be 100k or thereabouts, so I go to
    the upper right corner of the desktop to the box marked 'Quality' and click
    on it. That gives me a slider, which I move to the left (usually) until the
    file size is 100kb. Then I hit OK, give the file a name and a convenient
    folder destination and that's it.

    Hope that helps; please come back if I've made it more confusing. I think
    it's okay we're discussing a 'big' Photoshop technique here, as it's almost
    identical to the steps I take in Elements.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #24

    Byron - I doubted if anyone would notice the tiny eyes under the log. You're very observant!

    Chuck - Your ranch picture looks like 40-acres-to-the-cow kind of country. I'd sure hate to think that I had to start plowing that 40 acres :)

    MLee
    Marilyn Lee Guest

  5. #25

    Chuck,

    Thank you for explaining how you work the challenge pictures. Especially the way you "save them for the web". I guess I (am) must have been one of those people who supplies Grant with more work as I wasn't aware of the funtion of saving for the web in relation to the challenge so I always saved an image with a volume of just under 1 MB or whatever I could squeeze out of it. I now understand that meant that Grant had to downsize the image.
    I will better my self next time around.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  6. #26

    Patty

    Without getting into a great long discussion as I am off to work once again
    here is a short break down.

    For web use there are only three formats that can be displayed and they are
    GIF, JPG and PNG. While PNG arguably gives the best image it is generally
    large and is not available to all browsers. For this reason I do not
    support it. GIF only produces 256 colours and for some applications this
    is good .... but does support animation and that is where it shines. JPG
    allows you to save up to 16 million colours and you can vary the
    compression. While at the smallest level it is horrid. At the best level
    it is extremely difficult to see any degradation even in an A/B test. With
    proper balance it does create excellent images and thus it has become the
    back bone for web work. As other have said if you save and resave you
    images as JPG you will loose data so only do it at the last step.

    Grant Dixon Guest

  7. #27

    Marilyn, it's actually 25 acres of freshly-burned Texas prairie, so you were
    pretty close! (I participate in prescribed burns at our local prairie
    preserve and had the opportunity to doent this one; the before and after
    shots were quite different, as was the one taken about six weeks later which
    showed the restoration)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  8. #28

    Chris, That folded tattered and pencil marked photo is just excellent.
    Really high marks for creativity and excecution. 10.0, 10.0, 10.0,
    10.0, 10.0.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  9. #29

    Chuck,

    I think your image is just great. How did you get the plow to look like it does? Is that the result of sharpening or did you do something else? It has a "modern" look I've never seen first hand or in a photo.

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  10. #30

    Pete,
    Thanks but it's software that does it.Canon's Publishing Suite has a photo editor that gives the folded effect.The image was made this way:
    1.Weary's image.
    2.Used Jodi's Summertime Fizz Style to lighten it.
    3.Saved as JPEG then opened with Canon and used the Old Photo effect (the folds and some tatter, made it a little darker too.)
    Opened this as a seperate window in PSE and copied the image as a layer back above #2.
    4. Adjusted the transparency down about 15% to lighten it then used Jodi's B&W layer style to get what I got. Added some stray doodles trying for a cracked look but looked more like scratches or pencil marks after I SFW'd.

    But still, Thanks.

    CR
    Chris Rankin Guest

  11. #31

    Images go from Charming to Eerie to downright Scarry. What an assortment!
    Bob W...Reserve that cottage for me for September 2nd.
    Chuck...The antique topped off the deserted house. I was going to call it a plow or tiller, probably pulled by a man with a mule.
    Dave...I like your addition of the Rhino, or is that a Hippo, Hmmmm
    Jodi...The morning fog is so real I can smell it.
    Juergen...Fascinating Colors! By the way, how in blazes do you pronounce your name.
    I've been saying Jurgen (sp?) like the Hand Lotion.
    Marilyn...The kids certainly seem to fit that place.
    Nancy...Giggle, giggle or should I be saying gurgle gurgle.
    Patty...Are those Samoyed pups? So Cute!
    Robert J...Absolutely amazing, when I learn to do that I will give myself an A+.
    Everyone else's images are super. I just didn't want to hog front stage.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  12. #32

    Carl, thanks for your comments. I really didn't do anything special to the
    plow, although there are so many layers in the image that I'm not sure what
    serendipitous effects might have occurred above the plow layer. I didn't
    use any sharpening in the final image, although the plowed (or, more
    accurately, burned) ground layer had probably been sharpened when I first
    edited that image. With respect to the plow, I cut it out of another
    picture, used a mask to improve the selection, and used a hue/saturation
    layer to drain all but a little color out of it. Mostly blind, dumb luck
    I'm afraid...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #33

    Susan S. - Re your image #2, great job of renovation! Love the flower bed in front, too.

    :-)

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  14. #34

    Marty

    The building looked like something we had seen in Zimbabwe and that is
    why I chose to add the Rhino from my Zimbabwe picture collection. Most
    of the buildings like this don't have any windows and there was one
    similar in Lake Kariba that was used for showering. I had gotten all
    lathered up one day and found that the water had been shut off. When I
    cleared my eyes, I found the reason why. An elephant had its trunk on
    the shower head gulping all the water.

    Dave

    Dave Hamer Guest

  15. #35

    Thanks Chuck - that flower bed usually resides in my front garden! I thought the cottage would make a nice little weekender with a bit of paint and decoration - although I'm afraid I didn't reroof totally - just a cosmetic job with a coat of paint and the really rusty bits patched over with some recycled sheets of iron (if you look carefully you can see the joins!)
    Susan S. Guest

  16. #36

    Hi all,

    Great job this week! That building has such character. All the entries look marvelouuuusss. :-)

    Beep Beep,
    Darby :-)
    Darby Stone Guest

  17. #37

    Hey guys.
    I am about to explode and must tell someone. I went to the "Photoshop for Photographers" seminar yesterday and had a BLAST!!! I talked to Dave Cross in the back of the room for about 45 minutes uninterupted. Ben Willmore was up front teaching. Dave is very familiar with the challenge and thinks what you're doing is great Grant (I concur). I was unaware that he actually did something in here early on. Grant, can you enlighten us? I could ramble all day about the seminar, but let me just say this... It was like taking guitar lessons from Stevie Ray Vaughn. Take care. I have some work to do on my entry.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  18. #38

    Hi Greg,

    I can imagine your excitement. I was at a similar seminar by Martin Evening some time ago. Very interesting for about 20 minutes and then I got lost.....
    So much information in such a relatively short time. During the break I told him this was an overload for me. Wisely he replied he could imagine my problem and told me to enjoy the sunlight for the second part. So I did. And we had some nice talk afterwards at my level. That brought me -and a few others- much more than the whole seminar.

    These seminars are wonderful, but usually my attention span is too short. I suppose I'm not the only one.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  19. #39

    Leen-
    Surprisingly enough we didn't need to take notes. The information he provided was very cool with alot of pictures, and all the notes are in the workbook. I also suffer from the short attention span and was pleasantly surprised at how I was glued to the presentation. I hope they stop by my area again soon. Without sounding like a plug, it was worth every penny.

    Greg
    cookgreg Guest

  20. #40

    I am sorry that the Challenge was not kept up to date but I had to spend a
    massive amount of time away from my home virtually living at my work.

    I do hope I caught all the email sent to me and updated everyone's lovely
    images. If I missed please resend your works of art and I will get them up.

    I will extend the length of time the challenge is up so on one gets cheated
    of exposure.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast