Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #25 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

The images for the 25th challenge are now up. The Weary LandCrab is the submitter. I selected this image because it is one I would have liked to be able to claim as my own, but it is Weary's so rather than covet I think we should all have fun with it. Last week someone wanted to match the colours I was to use in the Challenge so from now on I will publish them at the start of the Challenge. Text: 37231C Frame: 865342 Background: E6D2CC [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html[/url] Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the ...

  1. #1

    Default Challenge #25

    The images for the 25th challenge are now up. The Weary LandCrab is the
    submitter. I selected this image because it is one I would have liked to be
    able to claim as my own, but it is Weary's so rather than covet I think we
    should all have fun with it.

    Last week someone wanted to match the colours I was to use in the Challenge
    so from now on I will publish them at the start of the Challenge.

    Text: 37231C
    Frame: 865342
    Background: E6D2CC

    [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html[/url]

    Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the then
    the Present will be Past and new images will be posted.

    * Important notice to all the new people in this forum. This is not a
    close shop you are all invited to submit an image. If you don't think you
    are good enough this is your first mistake, I think most have found that
    working on the Challenge has improved their personal level. So young and
    old, hot shots and cool dudes now is you time to post.
    --
    Grant

    Home Pages [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm[/url]

    Challenge Pages: [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/[/url]

    Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while
    discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and
    better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

    Alexander Osborn (1888 - 1966)

    Grant Dixon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Challenge #25

    That someone was me. Thanks Grant! It was really nice of you to help me with that last week!

    :-)

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  3. #3

    Wow! That is some terrific image, WLC. I'm guessing it's very near the
    ocean, based on the deteriorated condition of the galvanized steel roofing.
    Would like to hear some history on the image if possible...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    Is my friend's computer weirding out or does Challenge 24 thread have the new challenge pic posted on it ? Can someone check that for me...I wanted to look at the #24 challenge again.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  5. #5

    Looks OK from here, Jodi

    "Present Challenge" is still the butterfly.

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  6. #6

    from here, my friend's house when I click on it I get the first page as the new 25 challenge and when i click on the present challenge i get the first page of butterflies with robert shraven's name above them...anyways, I was able to look at the images and there are quite a few new ones since the last time I checked...some prrrrrty wonderful ones. I barely have anytime these days to be on my system so not sure if I'll get much done with challenge 25 ...will try to do one. I like the image alot. I'm one that would rather give my %100 to my work than do it at all. Not sure I'll be able to get that done.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  7. #7

    I'm hoping that I have time this week to play with everyone else. I had some ideas for the butterfly but very little time to do anything with those ideas.

    Weary - lovely photo. :-)
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  8. #8

    Grant,

    Looks like I'm blocked by a spam list. I couldn't submit a
    challenge entry. The bounce back message is given below. Any ideas how I can get around this??? Anyone else getting bounced back???

    Bob
    **** rejection message follows ****

    Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
    The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
    each recipient was rejected.

    Recipient: <challengecogeco.ca>
    Reason: Service unavailable; Client host [64.8.50.181] blocked using
    dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received See:
    [url]http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?IP=64.8.50.181[/url]

    RobertHJones Guest

  9. #9

    Bob

    If you were blocked by a spam blocker it was not me but my provider. While
    this has never happened before to my knowledge the way around it is to
    change the name of your file and wording of you email . Sure hope it gets
    through as I do love your work

    G.

    Grant Dixon Guest

  10. #10

    Guess I must be tired

    What that means is that the images will be posted in the morning and once I
    return home. So all will be the same with the understanding the posting may
    be a bit slower than usual.

    G.

    Grant Dixon Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Grant,

    I know it's your provider and not you but there's not much I can do about
    this one.

    Apparently, last night, someone sent a spam email and it reached a spam
    honey pot where it triggered an automatic block on one of the spam lists
    your provider subscribes to. My provider's outgoing email server is blocked
    at the IP address level so everything from that server is blocked.

    I've notified my provider but I have no idea how long this will last.

    Hope this resolves soon!

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  12. #12

    Just tried sending it again and it hasn't bounced yet. Crossing my
    fingers...

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  13. #13

    Bob, if it doesn't work this time, please feel free to mail it to me and I'll be happy to forward to Grant.

    Chuck

    (chuck-snyderhouston.rr.com)
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks Chuck, I really appreciate the offer. Thankfully, it looks like my
    provider was able to do whatever it was they needed to do and it's working
    again.

    I hope this never happens again, but if it does, I'll gratefully take you up
    on the offer.

    Thanks again,
    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  15. #15

    Grant,

    I feel slightly "guilty", that as all of these landmarks are being reached showing the success of the "challenge site" that it translates to a lot of work for you.

    Since I'm a "newbie", I certainly can't offer any suggestions, but if there was a way that others could "share the load" through technology, I know you would have lots of volunteers.

    It doesn't seem right that your work pressures/problems and deadlines are compounded by your "weekly challenge deadlines."

    Can we help??

    Patty
    Patty Clarke Guest

  16. #16

    Way to go Patty! Your solution this week is fantastic! I love it!

    <http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/25PattyClarke1.html>
    Linda King Guest

  17. #17

    Nice job Weary! Looks authenticly old. I like it.

    <http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/25weary1.html>
    Linda King Guest

  18. #18

    Patty

    You are so thoughtful to offer but the truth is the Challenge is fairly
    automated. Occasionally I do pull a bonehead move and press the wrong
    button but that is a sort-of-guy-thing. What does cause a slowdown is when
    I have to adjust images. I do make sure that no image is larger than 800
    pixels and not much more than 100 k . Well I resize images when they are
    larger than 140 k, unless they are an animation and I cut them a bit of
    slack. Then I do make sure all the images conform to the naming practice.
    I also change PNG to JPG but leave GIF alone ... but for smallest and best
    results JPG is what to use in most case. If I have to change a file it does
    cause a bit of delay as I do try to get the best possible results from the
    change. While I really don't mind doing this it does slow me down a bit. So
    folks if you want to help you can do this part for me. That being said I
    you have troubles doing that have no fear I will cheerfully do it for you.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  19. #19

    I am impressed with several entries this time. I would mention names but there are so many that I like.
    Linda King Guest

  20. #20

    Hey Guys,

    Like Linda said, there is some really terrific stuff--just keeps getting more impressive each week.

    Grant when you said:

    You are so thoughtful to offer but the truth is the Challenge is fairly automated... What does cause a slowdown is when I have to adjust images. I do make sure that no image is larger than 800 pixels and not much more than 100 k .

    This seems a perfect intro to ask people to "detail" their creation process--because I "fear" that I am one of those "slowdown people."

    Because of my "newbie" status and my search for knowledge, I do tend to confuse myself. This week I learned about the "degradation" of the jpeg process. I was under the wrong impression that as long as you were downsizing your image that you were saving, that you didn't have to worry about losing quality. Now I've learned that with the jpeg format, each time you "save as" you do experience a loss.

    I do not have Elements---I work in photoshop. I also learned recently that Elements has a "stitching feature" that would be an important tool for me, so I'm wondering if it would be a wise investment for me to add the Elements program to my library.

    Anyway, I know it would be helpful to me and probably others to know the best work and submission process. Perhaps a mini-tutorial.

    TIA,

    Patty

    I'm inspired and learning at the same time by participating in the weekly challenges. It's great.
    Patty Clarke Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast