Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #26 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Challenge 26 I think it's a great picture and a great challenge - v. thought-provoking, and that's what photography is all about - active reaction. I probably won't have an image to submit but work on them all and find it's an exciting way to learn new skills (I got sidetracked here into the history of photography. Question for Marylin Lee (and excuse my ignorance!) who is the figure in your first image, and the second.? All the images are so impressive. B.L....

  1. #41

    Default Re: Challenge #26

    Challenge 26
    I think it's a great picture and a great challenge - v. thought-provoking, and that's what photography is all about - active reaction.
    I probably won't have an image to submit but work on them all and find it's an exciting way to learn new skills (I got sidetracked here into the history of photography.
    Question for Marylin Lee (and excuse my ignorance!) who is the figure in your first image, and the second.?
    All the images are so impressive.
    B.L.
    Bonnie L. Guest

  2. #42

    Bonnie - I'm pleased to answer your question about the figure in my pictures. He is General Robert E. Lee, who commanded the Confederate Army of the South during the Civil War. Following is information that might explain why I chose him to express my sadness generated by the Gettysburg scene of the Challenge picture:

    At the onset of the Civil War, he [Robert E. Lee] resigned his commission in the US Army and took command of the Army of Northern Virginia. His string of victories throughout that war earned him praise on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line and he has since earned a well-earned reputation for excellence in the art of war. Lee's surrender to Ulysses Grant at Appomattox Court House ended the Civil War and he was finally pardoned of all wrong doing by President Jimmy Carter.

    In July of 1863, General Robert E. Lee's Army Of Northern Virginia of 75,000 men and the 97,000 man Union Army Of The Potomac under General George G. Meade met, by chance, when a Confederate brigade sent forward for supplies observed a forward column of Meade's cavalry.

    Of the more than 2,000 land engagements of the Civil War, Gettysburg ranks supreme. Although the Battle of Gettysburg did not end the war, nor did it attain any major war aim for the North or the South, it remains the great battle of the war. Here at Gettysburg on July 1, 2, and 3, 1863, more men actually fought and more men died than in any other battle before or since on North American soil.

    Lee's retreat began on the afternoon of July 4. Behind him, this small town of only 2,400 was left with a total (from both sides) of over 51,000 casualties. Over 172,000 men and 634 cannon had been positioned in an area encompassing 25 square miles. Additionally, an estimated 569 tons of ammunition was expended and, when the battle had ended, 5,000 dead horses and the other wreckage of war presented a scene of terrible devastation.

    The Confederate army that staggered back from the fight at Gettysburg was physically and spiritually exhausted. Lee would never again attempt an offensive operation of such proportions. Meade, though he was criticized for not immediately pursuing Lee's army, had carried the day in the battle that has become known as the High Water Mark of the Confederacy.

    The war was to rage for two more terrible and tormenting years but the Confederacy never recovered from the losses of Gettysburg. And through the deepening twilight of Confederate military might, all who had been to Gettysburg would remember.

    * * * * * Farewell to the Army of Northern Virginia - by Robert E. Lee

    After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

    I need not tell the survivors of so many hard-fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them; but feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that would have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen. By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged.

    You may take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed, and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection.

    With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.
    Marilyn Lee Guest

  3. #43

    Carl - I wish you peace in your heart and mind.
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  4. #44

    Carl,

    I am sure JoAnn speaks for all us who have had the great pleasure of you presence in this forum community. Our heartfelt support is very much with you.
    Mark Reibman Guest

  5. #45

    This image seems to be haunting me in more ways than one.

    I saw the movie "The Gangs of New York" this weekend and that image appears
    in the movie near the end. I also saw it on TV recently on one of the
    educational channel programs.

    Coincidence is eerie at times.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  6. #46

    I would like to chime in on the subject of the appropriateness of this image. This is a personal opinion and in no way reflects the views of Adobe.

    One of the great uses of Elements and Photoshop is restoration and archiving. Someone posted a link to Wilhelm Research recently, which is a wonderful resource on the subject of achiving. Traditional film will decay left alone, so the need to restore, digitze and archive film is essential to retain our history and art. A world without images that remind us of our history and the ravages of war would be an uninformed world. And a world without the works of the great photographers we all try in our small way to emulate would be a sadder world.

    For those who chose to participate in this challenge (and believe me I wish I had more time to take part), this is an opportunity to either work on restoration techniques or to make an artistic statement about war as many artists have done (think Picasso's Guernica).

    Participation is always a matter of free choice and not every image will appeal to everyone. This is an emotional picture and I understand it is not for everybody.

    Thanks Grant for offering the Challenge and to all those who contribute. It makes me proud to be part of the Photoshop team and to know that the software we work on can be used in creative and important ways by a fantatsitc group of artists such as yourselves.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  7. #47

    Rich,

    That was a very nice comment you posted. Thank you.

    We miss seeing you having an entry. Hope time will allow you to send one in
    one a near future challenge:)

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  8. #48

    Nicely said Richard!
    Linda King Guest

  9. #49

    One more thing, i have barely been home all weekend ( parties etc...) and did not have time to do my usual 8-11 images...otherwise i would have. I sent 2 more to Grant today. This is challenge # 26
    Jodi Frye Guest

  10. #50

    Richard,

    Well-thought and well-written. Are you head of public relations for Adobe? If not, get me the name and address and I will nominate you.

    I have enjoyed your images on the Challenge. Hope to see more.

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  11. #51

    a fantatsic group of artists such as yourselves

    Let me expand upon this a little. I have not, for various reasons, participated in the discussion of this Challenge nor have I voiced an opinon. I have, however, attentively read every single post. And I am delighted with the multitude of thought provoking contributions that were made to this thread. This is a very special group of people in this forum that makes the forum the undoubtedly best of its kind on the web. I am grateful to be a part of it.

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  12. #52

    Richard, you may want to check out the latest version of Katrin Eismann's
    book - a real classic! Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #53

    Richard H.,

    Haven't seen you here before, welcome. Don't be shy about posting and joining in, everyone here has excellent manners and are helpful and friendly :)

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  14. #54

    For twenty years I was surrounded by relatives who turned every discussion into a loud argument. My upbringing did not include heated arguments so was glad to leave that period of life behind me.
    This discussion has been calm and steadily enlightening on all sides and does show the quality of PSE Forum participation.
    I know what I want to do with my emotions and thoughts but have had a difficult time putting them into action.
    I think 'many' have shown "Professional" Restoration techniques. Mine will be, as others have done, opening my heart and soul.The aftermath of WW1 touched our family very deeply.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  15. #55

    LINDA and STU,
    Please son't think I have tried to copy your ideas. I am flattered that someone else has had the same feelings as I.
    There has been another thought in my mind which I hope to put on 'paper'.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  16. #56

    Carl,

    While reading entries in a networking forum one day, I happened across a link to Sgt. Fats' website. The writings, the photographs, and the graphics posted by "Sgt. Fats" and the other Vietnam Vets woke me up to the tragedies of that war not only to those who did not survive that conflict but also to those who did.

    I wish you well.

    Marilyn
    Marilyn Lee Guest

  17. #57

    Gary,

    Was the image for the Challenge a 'cropped' version and you found the complete one or did you merge two images together?

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  18. #58

    Nancy,

    Thanks for the welcome. This is a pretty cool group. The challenges are quite interesting, and the interpretaions are quite impressive.

    This was a difficult image to work on. I enjoy looking at the challenges,
    and decided to do one myself.

    This picture really spurred me though. The discussions about whether it was appropritate or not were very enlightening. And I think the discussions were what prompted me to do it.

    This was a difficult image to work on. I tried to imagine how it would be to walk on the battlefield after such a
    battle, and see men whom I may have known lying dead around me. It would
    have been very eerie; as if I were walking in a dream--no, a nightmare. So I
    tried to pick colors that reminded me of my own dreams and fears. It would
    have been a very strange place to take a picture. So I wanted to have
    the surrealty of a dream, but still wanted it to carry the impact. As one
    person on the forum asked, if someone's great great granddad is there, how
    would they feel looking at this. So I tried to consider that as well.
    Definitely a challenge.

    Richard Hanlon
    [email]bearwolf1centurytel.net[/email]
    Richard L Hanlon Guest

  19. #59

    2

    ..... if not for scenes such as these .....

    ..... where would we be today?

    would there be an Internet?

    .......... to even discuss these things?

    When you see a wrong, do you turn away and pretend it's not there? Hopefully not. Is it an easy decision? - not usually. Must a decision be made? - most likely (IMHO).

    Most (if not all) of what I have seen of the submissions for this challenge do great honor to those that came before us.

    I think it's good for us to revisit the value of what it is we have today. It's not without a huge price.
    buz Guest

  20. #60

    CARL,
    Good Luck with your trip down the "not so cheery" memory lane. I think ex-soldiers help us realize the reality of War by telling about their experiences. I'll never forget the letter I got from a boyfriend. He was on watch sitting up in a tree on a pitch black night. He talked about the little cottage we'd have with a white picket fense....a rather one sided love affair but he did end up marrying a little Chinese girl and bringing her to the States.
    I like your frisby jumpers. I no longer have Borders but raised one litter of Tri colored. (Or do you have Australian Shepherds...I forgot to check out the tails)?
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast