Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #26 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

The images for the 26th challenge are now up. This is the half year-aversary of the challenge. We started with a photo to fix and it has gone in many new and exciting direction. For this challenge I have decided to return to an image to fix as a tribute to the first challenge. This being said I do suspect and expect that many will run with the artistic merits of this image. So for the 26th I have selected an image by Stu Bloom. Stu entered this challenge many months ago but I do keep these things in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Challenge #26

    The images for the 26th challenge are now up.

    This is the half year-aversary of the challenge. We started with a photo to
    fix and it has gone in many new and exciting direction. For this challenge
    I have decided to return to an image to fix as a tribute to the first
    challenge. This being said I do suspect and expect that many will run with
    the artistic merits of this image. So for the 26th I have selected an
    image by Stu Bloom. Stu entered this challenge many months ago but I do
    keep these things in the back of my mind.

    Challenge colours.

    Text: 585038
    Frame: ADA07D
    Background: D9D3C4

    [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html[/url]

    Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the then
    the Present will be Past and new images will be posted.

    * Important notice to all the new people in this forum. This is not a
    close shop you are all invited to submit an image. If you don't think you
    are good enough this is your first mistake, I think most have found that
    working on the Challenge has improved their personal level. So young and
    old, hot shots and cool dudes now is you time to post.
    --
    Grant

    Home Pages [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm[/url]

    Challenge Pages: [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/[/url]

    Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while
    discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and
    better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

    Alexander Osborn (1888 - 1966)

    Grant Dixon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Challenge #26

    Same here.

    Barbara
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  3. #3

    me neither ;(
    Jodi Frye Guest

  4. #4

    it's working now...
    Nancy S Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, although I'm not sure I don't wish it still weren't. Cheery, isn't it?
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  6. #6

    Barbara (> Yes, although I'm not sure I don't wish it still weren't.
    Cheery, isn't it?)

    Just think of "Night Of The Living Dead ll". That was a really funny horror
    show..... especially the "split dogs":)

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  7. #7

    The picture was taken in 1868 at Gettysburg. Wasn't that where the battle of independence was decided?

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  8. #8

    Sorry guys, but I don't think this is an image that should have been picked as a challenge.

    Any restorations made to the picture would distract from the actual emotional impact of the shot.
    Any alterations would show dis-respect to the souls who did not have any say about being in the picture.

    In my opinion, nothing can add to the shot, and it should be taken for what it is.
    History is never clean, sanitised, touched up or renewed. These things happened, and should be remembered that way.

    Sorry for getting on my soap-box.
    My appologies especially to Grant and to Stu, this is an open forum and these are my thoughts, there is nothing personal.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  9. #9

    I understand where Ray and Paul are coming from but I think that the image should remain. The subject is what it is, not pretty or cute.It reflects a sad part of my Nation's history and to ignore it because it's not pretty is also to ignore the lesson that the original artist may have been trying to point out - that there is a cost for freedom, and it is never cheap.

    I think what Grantand Stu were trying for was an image that would be a challenge to restore - one of the reasons I bought Elements for- not a challenge to make cute.

    Could there have been a nicer image? Sure, but I think there's more of a challenge in restoring or altering this image while still maintaining the sense of dignity that the image demands than there would be with a cute image.
    Chris Rankin Guest

  10. #10

    I'm with Paul and Ray on this one. (Paul put my feelings about it pretty exactly). It's too emotional an image in its own right for me (personally) to play with. I wouldn't get upset if others wanted to - but this image isn't one I feel comfortable messing about with.

    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  11. #11

    Robert Schraven,
    Gettysburg occured in July of 1863. It was a one of two major battles that sealed the Confederacy's fate, the other occured at Vicksburg. The Civil War dragged on for almost another two years after Gettysburg but the South never was able to recover it's momentum.

    CR
    Chris Rankin Guest

  12. #12

    I totally agree with Paul on this one. What if one of the descendants of
    the Battle of Gettysburg (and there are thousands) were to look in and see
    us do something humorous or otherwise disrespectful with this solemn image?
    I'm very uncomfortable with it, and will steer clear of this week's
    Challenge as both a participant and a viewer...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #13

    First of all, war is never an easy subject to deal with, but corpes are even
    worse.

    Ray Guest

  14. #14

    Paul
    I have to agree with you and some others about this weeks challange.
    The picture is NOT one that I'm comfortable with. I spent an hour or
    so last night trying to come up with something that could be done to
    the image, and yet still show respect. After an hour I realizied I
    can't. Maybe someone else will. Good for them if they do. I will look
    at what ever is produced, but will not submit anything this week.

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 04:58:21 -0700, "Chuck Snyder"
    <csnyderhouston.rr.com> wrote:
    >I totally agree with Paul on this one. What if one of the descendants of
    >the Battle of Gettysburg (and there are thousands) were to look in and see
    >us do something humorous or otherwise disrespectful with this solemn image?
    >I'm very uncomfortable with it, and will steer clear of this week's
    >Challenge as both a participant and a viewer...
    >
    >Chuck

    Stanley Guest

  15. #15

    Grant,
    Suggest that this week's challenge be taken down in the interest of the sensitivity of the topic.
    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  16. #16

    I think what Grantand Stu were trying for was an image that would be a
    challenge to restore - one of the reasons I bought Elements for- not a
    challenge to make cute.

    Yes, I do see that, Chris, but the point is that ANYTHING you do to that image, even basic restoration, would take away rather than adding to it. As it is, it fully conveys what the original photographer wanted to capture and even adjusting focus, removing fading and so on would lessen rather than add to its impact as a historical doent.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  17. #17

    I second this opinion.
    Warfare is a too serious subject, antique images like this one should not be (re)touched.
    This is a convincing testimonial of the barbaric effects of violence, as many historians and politicians try to convince of us of the glory of "succesful" wars. It should remain as it is to convince others of the real face of a war.

    I'm glad Grant put it up; this way we might learn something about how careless "leaders" think about human sacrifice.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  18. #18

    I've thought long and hard about this challenge. I live within 45 minutes of Gettysburg and I know the struggle the residents have experienced trying to maintain the battlefield. (At least they were finally able to raze that gawd-awful observation tower.)

    Changing the challenge photo would be like changing the battlefield. How do you do it and still honor those who died there?

    I love the Challenge but perhaps an alternate photo could be offered this time?
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  19. #19

    A few points:

    1. Yes the image is very powerful and evocative. It would be hard to use it in the Challenge and treat it with the respect it deserves but not impossible.

    2. I'm not sure that the original photographer would want his image to slowly fade and deteriorate to the point that it was unrecognizable which, if some of the opinions expressed were followed to their natural conclusion, would be the result.By this same line of thinking the restoration of Da Vinci's Last Supper would not have occured and a great work would be lost.

    3. Based on what I've seen of the past challenges and the threads I've read in this forum, I really don't think that anyone wouldn't have treated the image with respect.

    4. It probably wasn't the best choice for the Challenge based on what people seem to want from the Challenge Image but I don't think that it was a bad choice either.

    And as my idol Forrest say's "That's all I got to say about the matter."

    CR
    Chris Rankin Guest

  20. #20

    In response to Chris's cogent comments, I'll withdraw my earlier visceral and probably misplaced concern about the type of entries that might be submitted; I wasn't being at all fair to the wonderful group of people who inhabit this forum and I apologize for that. Having said that, I'm still uncomfortable with doing anything with this image other than looking at the original and feeling its message.

    If anyone had any doubt about the emotions that a photograph can trigger, this thread should be instructive...

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast