Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #33 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

  1. #41

    Default Re: Challenge #33

    > in all my Alaskan winter garb

    Robin,

    Good heavens!.....That looks like a lot of clothes. I don't believe I
    even own that many.

    (But you look cute)

    PeteD

    Pete Guest

  2. #42

    ROBIN,
    Yes, I thought it was you, Robin. You are certainly an asset to this group!

    JOHNNY,
    See what you did?? Got me all fired up so I just had to go ahead with the cow and moon. 'aint it all fun!

    RAY, Thanks for the COW. It brought out the kid in me.
    Marty
    Marty Guest

  3. #43

    Marty, I really enjoyed every entry!
    I'm sorry not have been able to participate, but Bryce is taking evey moment I have.. :(

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #44

    Pete,

    Things have changed, I felt pretty dumb when I asked for 100 and 400 asa film and the clerk asked "asa, what type of film is that, oh you mean iso". As for film speed 400 asa (iso now) was the fastest film you could get, now you can get 1000 + iso film. Seven and thirty-two segment auto focus, whats auto focus. You want how much for that 400mm tele !?

    How long will it take to get these B/W films developed? A week to ten days, you have a full lab out back. We have to send it out, unless you want to use c-41 processing, we only do color here.

    If I had kept up on what was happening in the photogarphy field for the past 20 years. I would have seen the small changes year to year put coming back to it after 20 years it amounts to one big change. By the way when did they change the standard from asa to iso ?

    Pete, this is not a knock on your posting but I am at a total loss when it come to modern photography. With digital darkrooms, digital medium and large format cameras, and so much automation on even the low end cameras, I'm like a babe in arms,lol.

    I bought a Canon Elan7 35mm, it has so many bells and whistles it's overwhelming. It has shutter speed priority and apiture priority, heck I even asked how much it would cost for an auto-winder for it (built in). I love what the technology has done for photography and I love my camera but to me it's like starting all over again (well to be truthful, I am)

    Pete, I really apreceate your posting and help, and feel I will be in these forums quite often. If you know of any photo forums (not specialty ones like these)I would be greatfull for the info.

    Sorry for the long windedness of this posting. Once again thank you all for the help. I hope some of my enteries make the cut on these challanges. Here's to the new age of photography, I hope I don't drownd in it.

    Emeril.
    Emeril Guest

  5. #45

    Emeril, take it one (technology) step at a time, and you won't be too
    frustrated!

    I believe there are a couple black&white films that are formulated for C-41
    processing; not sure how good they are, but for re-learning your photo
    skills, they could give you faster feedback via one-hour processing.

    I missed the change from ASA to ISO, too - in between there was a guide
    number (in the 20's) that was absolutely inscrutable to me. When I buy film
    now (which is not very often) I still say ASA, and most of the clerks just
    know I'm an old guy stuck in the past and they do their own translation to
    ISO.

    Re shutter priority, aperture priority, etc., I still revert to good old
    'P' mode on my Elan (first edition) for a lot of shooting; aperture priority
    is my second favorite (for managing depth of field), while shutter priority
    is most often used when I have a telephoto lens that I want to assure is set
    above the minimum shutter speed to avoid the 'shakes'.

    Hope you enjoy your return to the photography world!

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  6. #46

    Emeril,

    Ha ha ha..... I stand corrected.... Photography has changed. I guess I
    did not stop to think about film and cameras and how "modern" they would
    appear to anyone that has not touched one in that length of time.

    But I guess the biggest thing I was thinking is "imaging". The settings
    you used before like an aperture of 22 to increase depth of field....those
    kind of things remain the same for the most part. If you used a meter and
    made manual settings it should all come back quickly.

    Any replies, questions or new discoveries are always welcome here.

    Ritz Camera (.com) had a forum on their site that was fairly good for
    straight photography. I have not been there in a while so can't say what
    it is like now.

    Yahoo "groups" probably has a number of classifications for photography.

    Glad you posted. Come back often.

    PeteD

    Pete Guest

  7. #47

    PeteD (aka FF):

    On those occasions when I venture back into film, I prefer the relative
    simplicity of my Canon A1 to the EOS Elan; just fewer bells and whistles to
    worry about. Guess I'm regressing....next step will be to reach into the
    back of the closet and pull out my Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F and my
    LunaPro lightmeter!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  8. #48

    Well Pete, I shoot in manual mode on my elan and don't use many of the auto or program modes. It kind of reminds me of my last 35mm I owned an old miranda. I still have that kicking around somewhere, a little beat up, I was going to try and get it fixed but most people now don't even remember that make yet alone tring to find parts. I guess I am getting a little old. I will try that site you suggested and I'll do some checking into the Yahoo sites, Thanks.

    Emeril
    Emeril Guest

  9. #49

    Emeril,

    Welcome to the forum and the digital world! I've also made the switch from film recently, 35mm color slide & black & white print. Presently, I've been scanning my old images and shooting new ones exclusively with digital.

    You said you wanted to know of a place to show your images, tryPBase <http://www.pbase.com>. It's cheap, $23 for 100MB of space for one year, I've loaded up my galleries and have only used 24MB so far. They used to offer a free trial period, not sure if that still exists. The founder of PBase, Slug, has a very informative link here <http://forums.pbase.com/post?post_id=279> which describes how he scans his images and what he uses in Photoshop to edit.

    See you around on the forum!

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  10. #50

    Bob W.

    Thanks! Love your "Wanted" poster, that cow's in some serious trouble! ;-)

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  11. #51

    Emeril, if your last camera was a Miranda -BTW, a wonderful piece of quality equipment- a lot of things seem to have changed, but every camera still has shotterspeed, aperture and focussing and that's all. These functions have been automated, but they still function the same way as before.
    IMO the best improvements in these years have been the inroduction of aperture priority to be in control of the depth of field and autofocus as my eyes are as old as I seem to be.

    The only real reviolution is digital photography. This is to change photograhy completely, just like the invention of photography made painters to change their ways of ezpressing their ideas.
    Going digital means -after a lot of studying- a whole new world is right in front of you with completely new ways of imaging next to the traditional techniques.

    It is a wonderful new world, don't be afraid, just enjoy it!

    Leen
    Leen Guest

  12. #52

    Funny how 'Miranda' is associated with pictures and video. First the camera (from apparently many years ago), and then miranda.com which does video.

    And, uh, I have no relation to either.

    Lou (Miranda)

    P.S.--we won't mention the Miranda association with criminal rights and banana-wearing ladies. Also no relation. ;-)
    Lou Guest

  13. #53

    Miranda brings back some long-ago nostalgia. The comments give me some perspective on the age and experience of some of you. Hello brothers/sisters. Anyone for Argus, or the square Kodak boxes.

    Correct me, but if my memory doesn't fail me, I think Miranda represents the period when focal the plane shutter came into being.

    I'm still stuck on film- don't own a digital, but get the film processed with a picture CD or Photo CD- hence digital and Photoshop.

    Al
    Al Guest

  14. #54

    Addendum- today I'm still a Pentax guy- ME, ME Super, LX, 645. Never went for autofocus. I still like to squint through the little thing.

    Al
    Al Guest

  15. #55

    Emeril,

    I have a Canon EOS Elan 7e (same as yours, except a few more bells and whissels...), so if you have
    any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I might be able to help.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  16. #56

    Al,

    yes I do remember the old kodak box cameras not to mention the old brownings boxes. I have an old, heck I don't even know what it's call the little metal lable fell off. It was one of my dads old cameras I think it uses 120 film, it's a thin rectangle, with a large front cover, when you pull it down the old baffle lens extends. Kind of like the medium/large format cameras, to adjust the focus you slide the baffle in and out. It has an apiture adjustment and the shutter is on the side of the lens, the baffles have dried out causing I few holes. It would be fun to see if it still works, and someone suggested using black electrical tape to patch the holes. I don't think there is much else that could have gone wrong with it.

    If I do find out the film size and patch the holes, I'll try taking some pics with it and up-load them. The question is... is there still somewhere I can get film for it and get it proccessed ?

    Emeril.
    Emeril Guest

  17. #57

    Emiril- you're my man.

    I think it's possible modern 120 film may still fit the camera.

    The baffles could be made of leather, as I think they were on the better class of this type camera. The cheaper ones were some kind of strong papery stuff.

    The main question would be if the shutter still clicks. Springs could be worn out, or the mechanism clogged with dirt over the years.

    Al
    Al Guest

  18. #58

    Al, I'll give that film a try and check the shutter. I don't know if there is a company here that might be able to clean the camera. One thing I do know though is if I take it in they will try to sell me another one of these new fangled cameras.

    It sounds like you like the old cameras yourself, there is a company out here call Kerrsdale Cameras, one of the owners likes to collect the old ones. As for the Argus, I wouldn't be supprised if he had some of them, and they do sell the old cameras and lenses, that's if you can get them before the other owner buys them himself, lol. I have seen some pretty nifty old ones there.

    If you collect I could send you thier address and phone number, you never know you might be able to pick up an old argus or even something older.

    Now back to the task at hand, in the challanges, how does one clear the back ground. I have cut the main item out via cut to new layer, ie: the cow. Then I cleared the background layer, but I get a colored background, not the checkered patern that shows me the background is clear. When I try to add a new background, it won't let me, so I tried to start a new photo and paste the cut out to it. I would prefer to have a cutout mask on the background, then just paste the cutout to it. How do I do this ?

    I will leave this where it stands, so I can ask step by step, if I can't work it out myself. I do like to try on my own first, then if I get stuck I can ask.

    Emeril.
    Emeril Guest

  19. #59

    Hey Ray,

    The elan7e, that's the one with the eye focus point isn't it. The one that picks the focal point by where your eye looks thru the view finder ? How does that work for you ? If I'm correct that also has more focus points, 11 as opposed to 7 in mine.

    I went with the Cannon Elan as a starting point, for when I upgrade to the Cannon 10D or sell my frist born for the Cannon 1D. I couldn't afford the 10D at the time I got back into photography, $2500 can for the body alone. As for the 1D, that's just around $12,000 can for the body alone (any one want to buy an arm and a leg ???).

    I thought it would be better to buy the elan and a few lenses first, to build up the outfit, with the hope that by the time I could afford the 10 or 1D the prices would come down. That way I would have a backup and an assortment of lenses that I could use for both.

    My ultimat dream would be to have the 1D an assortment of lenses including the 1200mm tele ( I'd need to sell my soul for that one, only $125,000 us, a drop in the bucket compared to the national debt)

    "SLAP", back to the real world, I use to do some real good photo work, but these old eyes don't see as well as they use to. My real job is starting to wear thin, I could put in 35 plus years and wind up with a sh--y pension, driving me batty. So I thought I would get back into something I realy love, taking photographs. If things go good enough, I might be able to make some extra cash,and get as good as some of the old pros, I still have a few good years ahed of me I hope.

    Sorry, running on. I would love to talk to some of the pros and get some critque on my photos. Most of the field trips/workshops I see avalable appear to be state side not many on the west coast of Canada.
    Beutifull province here in BC, all sorts of clamates from deserts to glassiers, not to mention wild life, mountains and great sunsets. Till next time, may your eyes never fail you, and the light always be right.

    Emeril.
    Emeril Guest

  20. #60

    Miranda, Argus, and Topcon (!) were all quality cameras at about the same level as Nikon, Canon and Pentax. About 25-30 years ago these manufacturers couldnot keep up with the pace of their competitors.
    Others like Konica, Fuji, Ricoh, Mamiya and Petri decided to stop the production of 35mm SLR cameras a few years later. Olympus and Yashica continued the battle but left the arena about a few years ago, so we are left with Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax and the odd Leica and Contax. Most other "makes" are produced today by Cosina.
    Just only Fuji has made a remarkable come back as they started to produce the new Hasselblad H1 and Expan.

    I suppose I'm getting old as I remember selling -with exception of Argus, hardly on the European market- all these makes. Time obviously flies. Suddenly I realise I belong to another generation..And they promised me the older I got I would get wiser too.... Unfortunately, no such thing.

    Leen
    Leen Guest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast