Professional Web Applications Themes

Challenge #39 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Halloween part 39 ... sounds so scary. The Challenge is posted with a tinge of Halloween and a whole lot of warm fuzzes with it. Thanks to Raymond Robillard we have a great image for the Challenge. On you mark, get set and manipulate. http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the then the Present will be Past and new images will be posted. * Important notice to all the new people in this forum. This is not a close shop you are all invited to submit an image. If you don't think you are ...

  1. #1

    Default Challenge #39

    Halloween part 39 ... sounds so scary.

    The Challenge is posted with a tinge of Halloween and a whole lot of warm
    fuzzes with it. Thanks to Raymond Robillard we have a great image for the
    Challenge. On you mark, get set and manipulate.

    http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html

    Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the then
    the Present will be Past and new images will be posted.

    * Important notice to all the new people in this forum. This is not a
    close shop you are all invited to submit an image. If you don't think you
    are good enough this is your first mistake, I think most have found that
    working on the Challenge has improved their personal level. So young and
    old, hot shots and cool dudes now is you time to post.
    --
    Grant

    Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

    Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

    Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while
    discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and
    better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

    Alexander Osborn (1888 - 1966)

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Challenge #39

    Bumping this up.... !!

    Stanley, thanks for the 8:11 laugh

    Chris....it came from Canada ? It had to die ??? At least it was too cute.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    WOW !
    Every single entry is just fabulous! Bravo everyone ;-)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Well against all odds I got them up. The Challenge and the Artist in
    Residence Pages that is .

    The night went like this. There was tap tap on the door and the usual
    cacophony of dogs and Doreen calling "Oh you have to see this one" and I
    did, they were so cute ... the little monsters. While this was going on I
    was making dinner not much but still doing it. Then the main event of the
    evening is that I am in the baking process of baking baklava for a party we
    are off to tomorrow. Phew ... and in between it was edit photos, tweak
    html, and up load. I do hope you like both shows as much as I do. Please
    enjoy.

  5. #5

    You guys and gals are SO GOOD!!!

    There's definitely more treat than trick!

    Beth Cooper, love both images but especially your #1.

    Bob Warren, your #1 and #2 are great. I especially like the pyromaniac in
    #2.

    Chris, What can I say??? Elementally Challenged? <chuckle>

    James, liked the "dinner with lunch" idea.

    Jodi, I especially loved your #1.

    Juergen, the "reunion" was a great idea.

    Marilyn, I liked that lighthouse the first time around too. I like what
    you've done with her hat.

    Nancy S., real sweet! I liked the new expression and the change of basket
    contents.

    Patti, Quidditch anyone? good transformation but he might look a little
    more like Michael Jackson than Harry P.

    Stanley, liked your surfer especially #1. Hang 10 dude.

    I really have to give Bob Warren credit. It isn't easy to acknowledge
    everyone's efforts. Much appreciated Bob!

    Good work everyone!

    RobertHJones@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    <<Quidditch anyone? good transformation but he might look a little
    more like Michael Jackson than Harry P.>>

    I think you're right, Robert! LOL However...I _had_ to leave some part of the challenge image in it. :)

    When I started out, I was just going to place this little witch/scarecrow on a broom, but then I thought of Harry Potter and Quidditch. I tried to put a red robe on him/her, but when I couldn't do that, I just went the other way and put the head on Harry Potter! That's the fun part about these challenges, one idea just leads to another...learning all the way!

    BTW, I could use some pointers from some of you pros on how to make flapping wings (e.g. the Golden Snitch or a humming bird wings). I tried several things, but ended up with more of a glowing ball. :)

    Patti
    Patti_Anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Robert J:
    Thanks for the kind words on my #1 & #2. In #2 I was experimenting with the fire tutorial discussed in another thread and thought it would be neat in a Halloween setting. Used the type warp tool to arch the letters, then had to use the shear tool to get the reflection right.
    Bob Warren
    Bob_E._Warren@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Nancy, I have to tell ya...I've been admiring your image since it was first posted. It's just so darn well done...not to mention a real cutie ! It would make a great card. I suppose you would need Ray's permission to make a few mil from it ? ..maybe you could slip him something under the table ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Jodi,

    I appreciate your mention of my image, though once again I sent Grant the wrong version, the one I meant to send had a nice cast shadow...however, YOUR images are the my heros. Incredible and impressive how you conveyed the donkey's coat and mane. Damn you can draw/paint! I have stared long and hard at it, imaging your brush strokes. The web bridle and reins are also amazing, not to mention the textured pants and manipulated leg/foot. The animal's eye is very expressive and alive. I bow to your talent.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Nancy, I would have never guessed you weren't 'finished' or sent the wrong one...it was meant to be girl ! I love it ! I also appreciate your thoughts on my work but i really owe it all to Elements...which makes it real easy for me. That bridle is the layer style called 'dry mud' ...it's under the 'complex' in our PE1 styles...just a basic painted line and one click of the dry mud...voila! I made a pile of 'hair' brushes a long while back when I was working on the wolf ( in my gallery )so again, click click click...and a couple of 'angled strokes' here and there. I do also have that freebie 'eye candy 3' which also has a 'hair' option so I tweeked it up with that as well. The eyeball just has a 'glass' layer style that I made with big bro PS...all very simple when you have all the right tools ;) ...ya, that little guy is mine, kind of my logo when I'm in my 'good' place ;) Thanks
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Gulp, these are great ! Anyone looked at these lately ? Marilyn I love your last one...he looks like he needed tumbling for sure. I had similar visions but never followed through...glad I didn't and you did. Anyways, after looking at all the great images the original looks extremely dull ;) Nancy your first is my favorite.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks, Jodi. And I agree--there were lots of great renditions that certainly jazzed up the original. Your #6 ice skating picture would make a great Christmas card!

    Bob Warren - How did you ever get the trail effect through the snow? That was wonderfully done. And Grant was perfectly cast in his Harry Potter movie role.

    James Hutchinson - I can't keep from laughing every time I get to your cat picture.

    Robin - Love that expression!

    This one was fun. Thanks, Grant and Ray!

    Marilyn
    Marilyn_Lee@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hi - Wow! I am dumbfounded by all the wonderful challenge pictures. You all are so good that it scares me. LOL.

    I loved this little figure and saved it as "CutiePie."

    I do have a question, though. Mine came out so huge this time when you double-click it. I checked properties and my overall dimensions were about half as much as Juergen's were, yet my picture is way too big. I always try to keep it under 100K, and thought I had.

    Could someone help me in figuring out a good size to save it for the Web as a JPG? I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Lorace

    ps - just off the top of my head, Jodi, that one with the little earrings and buttons in her hair and the cute creature on the hat. How adorable.
    Lorace_Graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Lorace

    If you have trouble with sizing it just send it along and I will resize it
    but in the morning as I am off to bed now.

    g.

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Marilyn --
    Glad you enjoyed the Sorting Hat image -- it came to me after reading Grant's description of all he had accomplished on Halloween in addition to getting the Challenge gallery up.

    The snow trail was actually easy. The base photo is of a heavy snowfall in front of my house. I used the lasso to select the irregular area that makes up the 'top' of the trail, then sampled the color of the snow with the eyedropper and darkened it to the pale lavender you see and filled the trail. Then I added a lavender to black gradiant to simulate the fall-off in translucency in the snow as you go deeper in the pack. Added some noise to make it fit better with the rest of the picture and done.

  16. #16

    Ray Robillard's little figure seems to have bewitched us
    this week. Some very imaginative images!

    BETH C: Looks like you and I had the same witch-
    broomstick association (#1) -- the little sparkles (a
    brush?) are neat -- nice work!

    BYRON G: Nice composition -- are the spooky tree
    branches generated or drawn from some other source?

    CHRIS R: I like the movie poster (#1), but my favorite
    is the black and white version with the leaf left in
    color -- striking!

    IRENE K: I see you thought of cauldrons (#2), too! What
    did you use for the bubbles? I like the stars on the hat
    -- gives it that wizardly touch.

    JAMES H: Your cat seems to share an attitude with the
    cats in 'Sylvia' -- one of my favorite comic strips.

    JODI F: Another tour-de-force this week. I have to go
    with #1 (for it's color, lighting effects and background
    integration) as my favorite. #3 really shows off your
    artistic skills. How did you get the applique effect in
    #5? Your #6 (ice-skating) inspired me to try my hand at
    a winter scene, too.

    JEURGEN D: I count six challenge images integrated into
    this one -- that's the tractor in the background, right?

    LORACE G: I like the mood you created in your #2 -- the
    vignetting works nicely for that.

    MARILYN L: Great images! I like the way you used the
    curlicuing to match the lighthouse image (#1) The tree
    in #2 is deliciously creepy. My favorite is the tumble
    with the acorns (#3) with the hat and basket flying --
    it's terrific!

    NANCY S: I love the way you made what look like simple
    changes to totally alter the image -- #1 is great --
    could have been one of the little trick-or-treaters that
    came to my door last Friday. I like the spirit of fun in
    #2, too.

    PATTI A: Your Harry Potter image gave me a nudge when I
    was looking for a way to express my admiration for
    Grant's Halloween evening efforts -- nice work!

    ROBERT J: Do I sense the Fire tutorial in the
    background?

    ROBERT W: Which filter(s) did you use to get your gold
    foil? I like the way the interior detail is preserved
    in areas like the basket weave.

    ROBIN B: Looks like our witch is trying out for a
    Coppertone ad!

    STANLEY U: Your surfer images are great -- where did
    you shoot those waves?

  17. #17

    Hi, Bob.

    The "branches" are lightning... I picked up a set of lightning brushes,
    somewhere, and thought that they looked interesting in black.

    Thanks,

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    <com> wrote

    I found them on the Adobe Studio Exchange... http://tinyurl.com/thbl

    The Moon is a brush, as well... http://tinyurl.com/thc9

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Bob W, re; my # 5...I'm not sure what part of the image you refer to as the 'applique' effect. Sooo, I'll just go through what i did real quick. The background crushed/wrinkled paper is just that. I crushed up a plain piece of white paper and scanned it in. Applied it over the image with the 'multiply' blend mode. Can be a better effect by duplicating the layer. The texture is 'craquelure' in textures with the spacing and depth set all the way to the left, 2 and 0. This works well with images that have alot of contrasting straight edge color ( try it after applying a 'cut out ' filter ). Was there anything else you saw that i missed mentioning with this image ?
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Hi Bob
    Yes, I think we had the same basic idea with our #1's. I love your Potter reference with Grant's picture. :)
    I have to agree with your thoughts, as it is amazing what everyone comes up with and I too thought Byron's tree (lightening effect) was well done!

    beth
    bethC@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast