Professional Web Applications Themes

Change a GIF into a button for re-use? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi all, I have inherited a web site that I need to update. I have a requirement to create a new button to match an existing style already used throughout the site. I am wondering if it is possible to use Fireworks to create a new matching button from the previously created button.GIF? If this is possible, could somebody point me in the right direction as I have failed miserably to get anywhere with the task in hand. I have tried importing, duplicating etc, but always end up with something that is un-editable. Any advice gladly received. Many thanks Steve...

  1. #1

    Default Change a GIF into a button for re-use?

    Hi all,

    I have inherited a web site that I need to update. I have a requirement to create a new button to match an existing style already used throughout the site. I am wondering if it is possible to use Fireworks to create a new matching button from the previously created button.GIF? If this is possible, could somebody point me in the right direction as I have failed miserably to get anywhere with the task in hand.

    I have tried importing, duplicating etc, but always end up with something that is un-editable.

    Any advice gladly received.

    Many thanks

    Steve

    r3skt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Change a GIF into a button for re-use?

    r3skt wrote:
    || Hi all,
    || I have inherited a web site that I need to update. I have a
    || requirement to create a new button to match an existing style
    || already used throughout the site. I am wondering if it is possible
    || to use Fireworks to create a new matching button from the previously
    || created button.GIF? If this is possible, could somebody point me in
    || the right direction as I have failed miserably to get anywhere with
    || the task in hand.
    || I have tried importing, duplicating etc, but always end up with
    || something that is un-editable.

    Steve,

    To my knowledge you can't change a .gif back into an editable FWs .png file.
    However if you post the example you speak of I'm sure more and better advice
    will be available.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Peter, thanks for the response... when you say post an example, do you mean actually paste in the button.gif I am referring to?

    Not sure how to do that, so here's a link to our web site, with the blue nav bar buttons running down the left hand side needing a new addition.

    http://www.evansgraphics.co.uk

    Thanks
    Steve

    r3skt Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Why not try opening the old button .gif in Fireworks. Then open a new/blank
    Fireworks file, set at the same dimensions - have them open side by side,
    and simply te the colours / style etc, in the new window?

    You can use the dropper thingy to copy exact colours, or is there perhaps a
    way to use the "clone" tool (ehm, I think it's called Rubber Stamp in
    Fireworks now that I think about it!). Maybe use that to exactly copy the
    thing?

    Is there some kind of photo background perhaps? Maybe that's what's causing
    you grief?

    HTH
    Nath.

    "r3skt" <com> wrote in message
    create a new button to match an existing style already used throughout the
    site. I am wondering if it is possible to use Fireworks to create a new
    matching button from the previously created button.GIF? If this is possible,
    could somebody point me in the right direction as I have failed miserably to
    get anywhere with the task in hand.
    that is un-editable.

    tradmusic Guest

  5. #5

    You could reproduce one of the buttons, but it would be just as easy to
    make a copy of one of the existing ones, sample the background color and
    use a small rectangle of the color to cover up the existing text, then
    add new text.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  6. #6

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the tips and advice, there might be something in there for me to have a go at. Sorry for the delay in responding today. I had to leave the office for a few hours.

    Peter, thanks for the input, can I kindly ask for you to send the .png file to the following email address please; r3skt[remove]btinternet.com

    I will try the tips and such like and let you all know via the forum message how I fare.

    Again, many thanks

    Steve

    r3skt Guest

  7. #7

    Hi all,

    OK, following Peter R's kind effort in sending me a .png file, I have been able to copy and paste the background successfully into a new symbol, and so far, all seems OK. I have to admit to needing to learn the software more thoroughly, but time is always pressing.

    I thanks all those who helped with comments and advice.

    Regards,
    Steve

    r3skt Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pop-up Menus not popping up in correct position

    Murray,

    Ok, now I have the site updated with the faulty pop-ups doing there thing.
    Check it out at http://testweb.bethelcrc.ca/ if you can figure out what the
    problem is, I will owe you a life debt of a sort....maybe I will just give
    you a virtual high-five actually...

    Thanks a ton for your help

    Dubs

    Steven Guest

  9. #9

    I just viewed the site on my PC and the pop-ups appear to work, except that
    they are going behind the flash animation instead of on top?

    So the pop-ups don't seem to work when I view them on my Mac which I made
    them on in either IE or Safari, then they sorta work in IE on a PC. WHAT THE
    CRAP!!!! arrrrrrgh the frustration is running deep here. Why can't I just
    make it how I want in FW and then simply insert it into DW and have it work.

    Dubs

    On 1/27/04 11:32 AM, in article BC3BFCB6.4071%com, "Steven

    Steven Guest

  10. #10

    Default I'm in pop-up Hell, help!

    If anyone can help me out and tell me why my FW pop-ups sorta work and sort
    of don't I would greatly appreciate it: http://testweb.bethelcrc.ca

    Dubs

    On 1/27/04 12:10 PM, in article BC3C05B5.477C%com, "Steven
    Dubbeldam" <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Steven Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re:I'm in pop-up Hell, help!

    If you "save as" a .png, it saves every detail that you created. You can still save it as a .gif, but save the original as a .png.

    So, if you have a button that you make, for example, but need to make a duplicate later, or you just need to change the text, you can go into the "nameofyourbutton.png", open it and edit it.

    To make a duplicate you can "select all" (or pulling your mouse/pointer tool over the entire image will select everything), copy it and paste it to a new file. Then just change what you need.

    Saves a lot of time, especially making animated gifs. I have a png folder that I keep on my destop, where I keep all of my originals, so I may edit them later, if needs be.

    =)
    Tiff

    homepage
    etiphany Guest