Professional Web Applications Themes

Change background - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi there, I was hoping someone can help me. I have a pic that I want to change the background behind the person and have a single colour from the pallet. I know I can use the lasso tool but the person is too detailed. How can I accomplish this? I found this on another message but couldn't find how to do it: "In the middle of the dialog is a dropdown for Knockout". I appreciate any advice I could get. Cheers....

  1. #1

    Default Change background

    Hi there, I was hoping someone can help me. I have a pic that I want to change the background behind the person and have a single colour from the pallet. I know I can use the lasso tool but the person is too detailed. How can I accomplish this?

    I found this on another message but couldn't find how to do it: "In the middle of the dialog is a dropdown for Knockout".

    I appreciate any advice I could get. Cheers.
    JW James103 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Change background

    Can we make this a FAQ?
    Cheesefood Guest

  3. #3

    Cheese is suggesting you do a search on the forum ...

    As a starter, you might like to take a look at the Extract tool, which can be very powerful. Otherwise, Magic Wand? The list is well-nigh endless.
    Colin Walls Guest

  4. #4

    No, more than that I'm suggesting this be made into an FAQ. There's a few of these that pop up each week, and it's such a basic process that it should be FAQ material.

    At least if we had a place to point them for tutorials or the appropriate help pages, it would save the time of not having to re-post the answer.
    Cheesefood Guest

  5. #5

    I agree, Cheese.

    I had answered the Type-on-a-path question so many times, both here and on other forums, that I finally composed a fairly comprehensive answer and asked that it be placed in the FAQ section in the Photoshop for Mac forum here.

    While the FAQ section generally isn't meant to be a tutorial repository, by the sheer number of times that transparency questions are asked, a similar entry is deserving of residence in these forum's FAQ sections.
    Phosphor Guest

  6. #6

    Sounds like a "Basic Tut" section may be in order ...
    Colin Walls Guest

  7. #7

    Then we need to add a "You have pirated software if....." section.
    Cheesefood Guest

  8. #8

    Odd isn't it: the people with illegal software often ask the dumbest questions. Maybe they aren't smart enough to pirate the manual/help. Or perhaps they want to steal our time too.
    :->
    Colin Walls Guest

  9. #9

    Colin,

    You wouldn't be refering to someone like the person who e-mailed me asking where the Quick Reference Card was would you?

    My reply was a gentle; "It is in the factory box."

    Bill
    Bill Lamp Guest

  10. #10

    JW,

    What you are asking is difficult to answer. In truth, how you do it depends on: Your familiarity with Photoshop's tools, the intent of the finished image, and the background of the "source" image.

    For a relative beginner, I recommend using the Extract Filter. Use smart highlighting. Read the help file on this subject. An alternative approach is to use your magic wand to select the background, then Invert the selection, then use QuickMask.

    Once the person is extracted, you need to play some games to blend them nicely into the background. This involves feathering the edges.

    Here's my advice. Practice with the Extract Filter, once you've isolated your subject reasonably well, come back and you can ask about blending the subject in better with the background.

    Fwiw, you will get far better help if you can post the image on the web somewhere and tell us the link.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest