Professional Web Applications Themes

change color in Find Edges filter - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I want to outline some yellow letters in black. When I use the Find Edges filter it makes the letters white with a yellow outline. I see not adjustment for outline color. Please advise....

  1. #1

    Default change color in Find Edges filter

    I want to outline some yellow letters in black. When I use the Find Edges filter it makes the letters white with a yellow outline. I see not adjustment for outline color. Please advise.
    Richard Klimesh Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default Re: change color in Find Edges filter

    Richard,

    The way I would do it is by doing this: Using Edit>Stroke

    First you much get your text off the text layer so this can be accomplished. This is what I just tried:

    1) I typed the text in yellow (on its own text layer)

    2) Created a new white layer below the text layer

    3) Go to Layer > Merge Visible and merge these two layers

    4) Select the white background with the Magic Wand (I used a tolerance of 32)

    5) Go to Select > Inverse

    6) Go to Edit > Stroke (here you will be able to outline your letters). Choose your pixel width, color (click on the color box to open the color picker if you want other choices) and location. Hit OK.

    7) Go to Select > Deselect and you should have your letters outlined.

    I'm not sure if there is an easier way, maybe someone else has a better method. Hope this helps you.

    EDIT: Forgot the last step:
    8) To remove the white background around the text do the following:
    Use the Magic Wand, select the white background, go to Edit > Clear and then Select > Deselect. The outlined text will now be on a transparent layer.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry about the multiple postings - my monkey got loose and kept hitting "reload". Please don't shun me.
    Richard Klimesh Guest

  7. #7

    Richard,,,we don't ' shun' here...we aren't that kind of forum. Welcome ! Poop happens ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Good to hear, thanks.
    Richard Klimesh Guest

  9. #9

    Richard, glad that worked. I tried it with a 72pt font so I didn't encounter the jagged edges.

    Give this a try: With the letters still selected go to Select > Modify > Smooth and set it at various pixels and see if that helps get rid of the jagged appearance.

    EDIT: Last step is go to Select > Deselect to see the results. If that doesn't help to smooth it maybe try a lower pixel # on the stroke.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  10. #10

    Barb, good one!!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    Chuck, thanks! You mean you can understand my convoluted instructions? I'm trying to keep it short...not easy for me! The simplest of tasks always appear way too complex.

    ;-)

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jodi Frye Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Jodi, some things just can't be simplified and still be effective....

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  14. #14

    Chuck, i have been spoiled with full photoshop program...can do quite a bit with Vector text in there ;) I have to say it's where I go to do the heavy stuff.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  15. #15

    Richard, send it along. My e-mail address is under imacgirl here on the forum, click on it.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  16. #16

    Rich, my address is also available by clicking on my name.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  17. #17

    Jodi,

    I just looked at Richard's file and it is indeed jagged. I tried it also and mine looks the same at 100%. Must be doing something wrong here...

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  18. #18

    Barb, what are the pixel dimensions of Richard's image?

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  19. #19

    Chuck,

    They're 300 X 150.

    Did you check your mail?

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  20. #20

    Barb, I think the problem is that there aren't enough pixels for any smoothing to occur; the largest numeral (the 0) is only about 45 pixels by 68 pixels plus or minus. That really doesn't leave any room for smooth arcs as you can't split a pixel.

    But it's late and I'm tired, so someone else better check me on that...

    :-)

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast