Professional Web Applications Themes

Change first page of chapter from recto to verso? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Suppose I've already formatted a chapter of my book, with the first page set as a recto, and suddenly I realize I need to make the first page of the chapter a verso. How do I do this? I can deal with rearranging my header/footers; what I can't figure out continued...

  1. #1

    Default Change first page of chapter from recto to verso?

    Suppose I've already formatted a chapter of my book, with the first page set as a recto, and suddenly I realize I need to make the first page of the chapter a verso. How do I do this? I can deal with rearranging my header/footers; what I can't figure out is how to make the first page a spread rather than a recto.

    I know how to do this for a *new* chapter -- you just delete the first page, and you keep pages 2-3 together as a spread. But in this case, I've already got a first page of the chapter, and I don't want to delete it -- I just want to shift everything from verso to recto and vice-versa. How do I do that?
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's traditional that the
    first page of a new chapter is always recto...
    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    Well, that would be my preference -- always recto. But my publisher seems to begin chapters on either verso or recto, and the Chicago Manual of Style says that's OK.

    So suppose I've got all 11 chapters starting on recto, and the publisher makes me change half of them to start on verso to save space. How do I tell InDesign to treat page 1 as a verso, not a recto -- i.e., to make new spreads 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, instead of 1, 2-3, 4-5, etc.
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Grotius,

    InDesign won't and can't do it. It won't do it because all of western language book-making convention since Johann Gutenberg's day have always numbered one on recto.

    I don't have Chicago in front of me at the moment, but perhaps it means that it is alright to start chapter content on either left or right pages.

    Another question for you: why restart numbers to 1 on each chapter? Wouldn't it be better to run the numbers straight thru the book?

    One last thought: Could you edit the chapter content to fit an even number of pages to satisfy both JG, the publisher, yourself, and civilization?

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Mike,

    Yes, it would be better to number straight through the book. I dunno, I thought first I'd lay out all nine chapters, then add them all to a book project, then redo the numbers. That way I can keep the file size down while I'm working on each separate chapter. For now, my numbers are mostly placeholders anyway.

    Heh, I misstated my question. I didn't mean that Chapter 1 has to start on a verso. Of course that's on a recto. I meant that later chapters might need to start on a verso; that's quite common practice, near as I can tell, looking at books here in my room (and the Chicago Manual). My question is: suppose the publisher suddenly tells me Chapter 4, say, needs to start on a verso? Can I easily redo chapter 4 to start on the left rather than right side of the page? The problem actually isn't the first page of the chapter; I'm numbering that with a folio at the bottom. The problem is the first spread, and all the succeeding spreads, which will need to be rearranged. Any way to do that?
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Grotius,

    Compare two things:

    In a single doent, page numbering is controlled in the Pages palette menu button > Numbering and Section Options. You can start page numbering with any page number you want. You might want to set it to Automatic Page Numbering.

    In a Book -- a collection of single doents -- page numbering is controlled in the Book palette menu button > Book Page Numbering Options, where you have all sorts of overriding options for the set of doents in the book. You can continue the numbering from the previous doent, continue on next odd or even page, automatically inserting a blank page to make up the difference, etc.

    So, if the publisher said to make a change, you could control it either per the doent, or let the book renumber all of them. You need to pay close attention to QC either way.

  7. #7

    It is trivially easy to start a chapter on a verso. Just start the page numbering with an even number.

    I often work on books that do this.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Mike: Ah, that's what I was hoping to hear. Great! Thanks.

    Dave: Yes, I know that I can set the chapter page to an even number; but that alone isn't enough. My inner margins are narrower than my outer ones, so I'd also want to be sure that chapter page was a verso page, not a recto, in the InDesign layout.
    Grotius@adobeforums.com Guest