Professional Web Applications Themes

change hostname and ip - SCO

Hi all, I am running SCO openserver enterprise 5.07. This is a new server I set up to replace an SCO Openserver 5.05 machine. I have completed all of my configuration and installed all applications and data needed. Since this is a replacement system, I needed to change the hostname and ip address. So I took the old system off line and changed the new system hostname and ip address via the gui interface. After I clicked on ok, the system said I was successful. Then when I left the gui window, I had to relink the kernal which I ...

  1. #1

    Default change hostname and ip

    Hi all,

    I am running SCO openserver enterprise 5.07. This is a new server I set up
    to replace an SCO Openserver 5.05 machine. I have completed all of my
    configuration and installed all applications and data needed.
    Since this is a replacement system, I needed to change the hostname and ip
    address. So I took the old system off line and changed the new system
    hostname and ip address via the gui interface. After I clicked on ok, the
    system said I was successful. Then when I left the gui window, I had to
    relink the kernal which I did, but the system hung on the relink.
    Eventually (1/2 hour later) I rebooted. When typing hostname, the system
    returned the new hostname and when I pinged the new hostname, the server
    returned the proper ip address.

    this machine is running as a NIS slave server and as a DNS secondary server.

    Why doesn't my kernal relink, and what can I do about it?

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    acis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: change hostname and ip

    acis typed (on Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:36:07PM -0500):
    | Hi all,
    |
    | I am running SCO openserver enterprise 5.07. This is a new server I set up
    | to replace an SCO Openserver 5.05 machine. I have completed all of my
    | configuration and installed all applications and data needed.
    | Since this is a replacement system, I needed to change the hostname and ip
    | address. So I took the old system off line and changed the new system
    | hostname and ip address via the gui interface. After I clicked on ok, the
    | system said I was successful. Then when I left the gui window, I had to
    | relink the kernal which I did, but the system hung on the relink.
    | Eventually (1/2 hour later) I rebooted. When typing hostname, the system
    | returned the new hostname and when I pinged the new hostname, the server
    | returned the proper ip address.
    |
    | this machine is running as a NIS slave server and as a DNS secondary server.
    |
    | Why doesn't my kernal relink, and what can I do about it?

    It's "kernel", not "kernel"

    Just cd to /etc/conf/cf.d and run ./link_unix. See any error messages?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks JP,
    When I ran the link_unix from the command line, link was successful. So,
    does this mean that the relink kernel via the console gui is broken? I
    obviously won't use it again.

    PS. Thanks for the spelling lesson, I wanted to say it was a typo, but since
    I did it twice, that would be hard to believe. I know your correction was a
    typo since you spelled it twice correctly.

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > acis typed (on Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:36:07PM -0500):
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | I am running SCO openserver enterprise 5.07. This is a new server I set
    up
    > | to replace an SCO Openserver 5.05 machine. I have completed all of my
    > | configuration and installed all applications and data needed.
    > | Since this is a replacement system, I needed to change the hostname and
    ip
    > | address. So I took the old system off line and changed the new system
    > | hostname and ip address via the gui interface. After I clicked on ok,
    the
    > | system said I was successful. Then when I left the gui window, I had to
    > | relink the kernal which I did, but the system hung on the relink.
    > | Eventually (1/2 hour later) I rebooted. When typing hostname, the system
    > | returned the new hostname and when I pinged the new hostname, the server
    > | returned the proper ip address.
    > |
    > | this machine is running as a NIS slave server and as a DNS secondary
    server.

    > | Why doesn't my kernal relink, and what can I do about it?
    > |

    > It's "kernel", not "kernel"
    >
    > Just cd to /etc/conf/cf.d and run ./link_unix. See any error messages?
    >
    > --
    > JP

    acis Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:36:07 -0500, "acis" <acissolution-group.com>
    wrote:
    >Since this is a replacement system, I needed to change the hostname and ip
    >address. So I took the old system off line and changed the new system
    >hostname and ip address via the gui interface.
    Not good enough. See:
    [url]http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/sco/new_name.txt[/url]
    for a shopping list of files to check.

    No clue why y'er colonel doesn't link.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home