Professional Web Applications Themes

Change Machine Name For Windows 2000 Server Domain - Windows Server

I just installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SQL Server 2000, some other applications and made that pc a domain. Once I did that I realized that I want to change the machine name for that pc. If I then go into Control Panel | System and select the Netork Identification Tab, I see that the Properties button is gray out and a message saying "Note The identification of the computer cannot be changed because the computer is a domain controller" Does this mean that if I want to change the name that I have to do a clean reinstall of ...

  1. #1

    Default Change Machine Name For Windows 2000 Server Domain

    I just installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SQL Server
    2000, some other applications and made that pc a domain.

    Once I did that I realized that I want to change the
    machine name for that pc.

    If I then go into Control Panel | System and select the
    Netork Identification Tab, I see that the Properties
    button is gray out and a message saying "Note The
    identification of the computer cannot be changed because
    the computer is a domain controller"

    Does this mean that if I want to change the name that I
    have to do a clean reinstall of Windows 2000, SQL Server
    2000, etc or is there another way?

    Thanks.

    Rick

    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    You cannot rename DC's in Windows 2000 so if there is another DC on the
    network you could dcpromo down to a member server, rename, and then
    re-promote.

    "Rick" <rickrbdata.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SQL Server
    > 2000, some other applications and made that pc a domain.
    >
    > Once I did that I realized that I want to change the
    > machine name for that pc.
    >
    > If I then go into Control Panel | System and select the
    > Netork Identification Tab, I see that the Properties
    > button is gray out and a message saying "Note The
    > identification of the computer cannot be changed because
    > the computer is a domain controller"
    >
    > Does this mean that if I want to change the name that I
    > have to do a clean reinstall of Windows 2000, SQL Server
    > 2000, etc or is there another way?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Rick

    Simon Geary Guest

  3. #3

    Replied in m.p.windows2000.general. Please don't multipost - if you need to
    post to multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by posting a single
    message to a handful of relevant groups (separate the NG names with commas)
    so that everyone can follow the thread. Thanks :-)

    See [url]http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm[/url]

    Rick wrote:
    > I just installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SQL Server
    > 2000, some other applications and made that pc a domain.
    >
    > Once I did that I realized that I want to change the
    > machine name for that pc.
    >
    > If I then go into Control Panel | System and select the
    > Netork Identification Tab, I see that the Properties
    > button is gray out and a message saying "Note The
    > identification of the computer cannot be changed because
    > the computer is a domain controller"
    >
    > Does this mean that if I want to change the name that I
    > have to do a clean reinstall of Windows 2000, SQL Server
    > 2000, etc or is there another way?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Rick

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] Guest

  4. #4

    Depending on your reasons for the rename, and if you decide not to follow
    Simon's good advice, you could try this as a workaround:
    [url]http://www.msresource.net/kb/multipleNames.html[/url]

    --

    Paul Williams
    [url]http://www.msresource.net[/url] - Under construction, but coming soon...

    Join us in our new forums!
    [url]http://forums.msresource.net[/url]

    "Rick" <rickrbdata.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SQL Server
    > 2000, some other applications and made that pc a domain.
    >
    > Once I did that I realized that I want to change the
    > machine name for that pc.
    >
    > If I then go into Control Panel | System and select the
    > Netork Identification Tab, I see that the Properties
    > button is gray out and a message saying "Note The
    > identification of the computer cannot be changed because
    > the computer is a domain controller"
    >
    > Does this mean that if I want to change the name that I
    > have to do a clean reinstall of Windows 2000, SQL Server
    > 2000, etc or is there another way?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Rick

    ptwilliams Guest