Professional Web Applications Themes

Change role settings = create new key? - Adobe Dreamweaver & Contribute

When you edit the existing role permissions of a Contribute site in Dreamweaver, Do you need to create a new key and send this to the users? The user guide seems to imply this as the role permissions are included in the key. Do the users have to do anything special to update their configuration or just double click the new key file and it will overwrite the old permissions. If the new permissions were downgrading the user's permissions could they just simply ignore the new key file and continue to use the old settings from the original key to ...

  1. #1

    Default Change role settings = create new key?

    When you edit the existing role permissions of a Contribute site in
    Dreamweaver, Do you need to create a new key and send this to the users?
    The user guide seems to imply this as the role permissions are included in the
    key.

    Do the users have to do anything special to update their configuration or just
    double click the new key file and it will overwrite the old permissions.

    If the new permissions were downgrading the user's permissions could they just
    simply ignore the new key file and continue to use the old settings from the
    original key to avoid being given new restrictions?

    sculptor Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Change role settings = create new key?

    My experience is that you do not have to sent a new key when you change the
    role-settings/permissions.
    The role settings will be updated for your user when they connect to the
    website, they are saved in the _mm folder on the server and on the users
    computer.
    I suppose you only have to sent a new key when you want them to have another
    role (say Writer instead of Publisher).

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Actually, you do not have to send a new key unless you need a new key. I am
    using multiple roles (Writer, Publisher, plus a couple of custom ones). I move
    users between roles when necessary and never have to send them a new key.

    In fact, since I am using CPS for the user management, I don't send them keys
    at all. The user just has to enter the correct connect:servername.com
    information into the address bar and CPS does the rest.

    Andy

    arfore Guest