Professional Web Applications Themes

Change stuff from layer to layer - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is there a way to change (text, graphics...) something from layer to layer? Instead of cutting/copying the object into a new layer (which would involve my realigning of the objects), I would like to simply tell the object it is no longer in layer 5, but it is now under layer 6. I periodically get so involved that I forget to create the new layer and make the object in that old layer. Since it is in the old incorrect layer, I just would like select the object in question and tell it is now in a different layer. Using ...

  1. #1

    Default Change stuff from layer to layer

    Is there a way to change (text, graphics...) something from layer to layer? Instead of cutting/copying the object into a new layer (which would involve my realigning of the objects), I would like to simply tell the object it is no longer in layer 5, but it is now under layer 6. I periodically get so involved that I forget to create the new layer and make the object in that old layer. Since it is in the old incorrect layer, I just would like select the object in question and tell it is now in a different layer.

    Using CS2 and Win xp.

    Thank you for any guidance.

    Nick
    NickSims Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Change stuff from layer to layer

    Nick:

    In the Layers Palette just drag it into a new layer. Or, select and cut (Ctrl + X), select the new layer, and paste in front (Ctrl + F). It will be aligned with its original position. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    CTRL+F!

    Perfect. The alignment was the critical part for me. I love it when the answer is so simple.

    Thank you very much.
    Nick
    NickSims Guest

  4. #4

    Or just select your object/s and drag the little colored square next to the target icon in the layers palette to the desired layer.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Dean,

    I like the sub-layer. I have to play with it a bit, but I can see where that would come in handy.

    Thank you.
    Nick
    NickSims Guest

  6. #6

    Nick,
    "Control l" (lower case L) makes a layer above the current layer and do what the others said.
    :>)Cathy
    Catherine_Villasurda@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Or ALT+DRAG the coloured selection square in the layers palette to another layer to create a copy.

    Richard
    richard_s_hards@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If you tons of layers in your layers palette, dragging the colored square to the desired layer may become a pain. You could just select the object, highlight the desired layer in the layers palette and choose Object > Arrange > Send to Current Layer. You could also assign a keyboard shortcut for the same if you frequently need to move objects this way.
    Galumph@adobeforums.com Guest