Professional Web Applications Themes

Change to Newsgroup View - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Just noticed that in Newsgroup view in Outlook Express all the "From" indications on the Adobe forums have changed from the name of the individual poster to 'com'. Are other newsgroupers seeing the same thing? If so, and it's a permanent change, it makes it much more difficult to use the newsgroup approach. If not, and it's just a hiccup with the forum or my 'puter, I'm relieved; the newsgroup is the only efficient way for me to participate anymore. Chuck...

  1. #1

    Default Change to Newsgroup View

    Just noticed that in Newsgroup view in Outlook Express all the "From"
    indications on the Adobe forums have changed from the name of the individual
    poster to 'com'. Are other newsgroupers seeing the same
    thing? If so, and it's a permanent change, it makes it much more difficult
    to use the newsgroup approach. If not, and it's just a hiccup with the
    forum or my 'puter, I'm relieved; the newsgroup is the only efficient way
    for me to participate anymore.

    Chuck

    Snyder, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Change to Newsgroup View

    I'd like to think that was changed purposefully. I wouldn't rule out some of these newsgroups being used as a way to harvest addresses. This might have been an attempt to make that harder to do and thereby reduce the number of people whose addresses are being used in the worm attacks. Or not. I haven't had much experience with worms and even less with newsgroups. But why does it make it harder for you to use? That's the way my address appears all the time, or so I've been assured.
    Haney, Guest

  3. #3

    Beth, it just changed again, and now it's acceptable - if it stays there.
    The view now is the last name of the poster - before, it looked like every
    post was coming from the same anonymous place, making it very difficult to
    direct a reply. I was guessing that the change was made to deter
    harvesting - and I heartily concur with that, having been blasted with these
    worms for a week now...

    Chuck

    Snyder, Guest

  4. #4

    Chuck, Beth,

    I just tried to post a new thread with a similar question. From the newsreader. It has not showed up. Also, the names are back on the newsreader, but only last names. They must be doing some experimenting?!

    Juergen
    D, Guest

  5. #5

    OK, I'm glad you're happy again, Chuck! As long as they keep my e-mail address off, I will be, too. :)
    Haney, Guest

  6. #6

    p.s. Beth et. al. - the change does appear to be purposely directed at the
    address problem. Now, in newsgroup view, my address shows as
    com, even though I didn't suppress my real address (as I
    should have...). This is a very good change - you can still see who is
    participating, but the address is no longer public.

    Snyder, Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, Juergen - you have become "D" on the newsgroup view; fortunately, when
    responding to you, you become com and I know it's you.
    I'll bet when Pete D chimes in, we're going to have two D's.....oh, well

    Snyder, Guest

  8. #8

    I don't know... maybe first and last name?? I now show up as 'D' :)

    Juergen

    D, Guest

  9. #9

    Chuck,

    In OE, in the preview pane, you can see the same, 'com'.
    I guess it's not too bad, but the message needs to be highlighted. And I
    just changed my login, so I could have a hidden address. I had gotten fed
    up with the virus mail. oh, well... I guess I can use the other login
    again.

    Juergen

    D, Guest

  10. #10

    Does this mean that Adobe is supplying the From: name base on our Adobe
    profile, as opposed to the value we place in our newsreader account
    properties?

    I've changed my Name in OE from Byron Gale to Gale, Byron to see whether it
    says this is posted by Byron, or Gale.

    BG

    Gale, Guest

  11. #11

    Chuck,

    I have to refresh my view to see how my posts are going to look. (and I
    sure hope I don't have to change my name:)

    PeteD FF

    D, Guest

  12. #12

    And now we know... the Name I provide in OE is ignored, and Adobe uses the
    name stored in their account information as Last; com...
    but only the value they have as Last is displayed in OE... because OE
    interprets the semicolon as a delimiter. So the messages appears to be from
    Gale, and from com.

    I bet if they used a comma, we'd see Gale, Byron as the From name in OE.

    Byron

    Gale, Guest

  13. #13

    Aww mannnn. Now I have to open the thread to see who is posting.
    Everyone's (well most) look odd. And my name shows as just D. How you
    gonna find me if there are half a dozen D's. (well you probably weren't
    looking to begin with).

    PeteD

    D, Guest

  14. #14

    Byron,

    I'd be glad to type in all the commas for them if that would allow the full
    name.

    Guess I will get used to this and not complain but it sure feels odd. And
    it takes a while on some posts trying to match the first and last name.

    D, Guest

  15. #15

    Oh and if I don't sign the post like that last one......How you going know
    who posted it? Just D I guess.... :-)

    PeteD

    D, Guest

  16. #16

    Pete, fortunately the From of the individual message contains both first and
    last.

    Snyder, Guest

  17. #17

    Chuck

    NOT on mine. Only last name and in many cases only last initial....like
    mine.

    Pete

    and

    D, Guest

  18. #18

    Byron,

    Hopefully they are reading all our comments?!

    Juergen

    D, Guest

  19. #19

    Bob Hill,

    Are they reading out comments??

    Pete

    D, Guest

  20. #20

    Pete, I use Outlook Express with a preview window. In the list of messages
    (upper window), the From appears as 'D', but in the preview window, the From
    appears in the gray bar as 'D; com '(note semicolon).
    Would certainly be better if they took Byron's advice re comma...

    Snyder, Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast