Professional Web Applications Themes

changed cases, now freebsd won't boot! - FreeBSD

Hello, I just switched my computer to a new case yesterday and now it won't boot. However, Windows boots fine (I dual boot). Here are some of the messages that FreeBSD has while it is starting up: ad3: WARNING - READDMA UDMA ICRC FAILED Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a set root by name failed ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp Root mount failed: 6 Then there are a couple more messages and it goes to this prompt: mountroot> What can I do to get this working again? Thanks /Brian...

  1. #1

    Default changed cases, now freebsd won't boot!

    Hello,
    I just switched my computer to a new case yesterday and now it won't
    boot. However, Windows boots fine (I dual boot). Here are some of the
    messages that FreeBSD has while it is starting up:
    ad3: WARNING - READDMA UDMA ICRC FAILED
    Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
    set root by name failed
    ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
    Root mount failed: 6

    Then there are a couple more messages and it goes to this prompt:
    mountroot>

    What can I do to get this working again?

    Thanks

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: changed cases, now freebsd won't boot!

    I'm far from being the expert... But is it possible you have your hard disk
    plugged in differently?
    look at the boot messages for what is the hard disk being detected as and
    compare with what was?

    Maybe somebody else has come across this before though and could offer more
    insight... But hopefully this can help

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: RE: changed cases, now freebsd won't boot!

  4. #4

    Brian John wrote:

    And the only, I repeat *only* thing different is the **case**?
    You have the same motherboard, same power supply ....

    Kevin Kinsey
    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    On Thursday 10 March 2005 16:18, Andrew Seguin wrote:

    > I'm far from being the expert... But is it possible you have your hard disk
    > plugged in differently?[/ref]
    I found I had to plug my IDE cables in _upside down_ on one box for the drives
    to be detected. No idea what happened there but it worked so I left it. I do
    now what way up they're supposed to be, I've done plenty of this sort of
    thing before.
    Very strange. Maybe the plug was in the motherboard upside down too? I didn't
    investigate in case it stopped working. Good thing IDE have "idiot diodes" so
    they don't burn up when they're in upside down.

    --
    /Xian

    "An expert is someone who learns more and more about less and less until they
    know everything about nothing"
    Unknown author
    Xian Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    El Vie 11 Mar 2005 11:12, Brian John escribió: [/ref][/ref]

    is your cable a 80-conductor IDE/ATA cable?

    maps
    Martin Guest

  8. #8

    Default Decent HTML editor?

    Is there a simple HTML editor that is known to be pretty good in the
    ports tree?

    I've been using Abiword for wordprocessing, and it has a "Save as HTML"
    feature which I plan to try. I was just curious if there was something
    else I should try using. I'm not using OpenOffice, as it seems a little
    bloated lately. My desktop is Fluxbox, though I have Gnome installed.
    Maybe KDE has a really good one? I prefer to keep my system lean if
    possible (its a P3-650 laptop).

    thx

    bsdzz Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: Decent HTML editor?

    On Saturday 12 March 2005 10:59 pm, bsdzz <net> wrote:

    Are you talking about an HTML generator? As for editing pretty much any
    web code, I prefer vim with syntax highlighting, then I use Firefox
    with HTML Tidy to validate. I know, that's pretty old school (I used to
    use Tidy with other tools for validation, and sometimes still do), but
    it's simple and efficient and I can use it pretty much anywhere. I've
    never been happy with any HTML generator, so I'm not too familiar with
    all the varieties - Dreamweaver is the only one I personally know to be
    decent, though it's commercial and not ported to *BSD. Quanta (now part
    of kdewebdev) is a pretty decent gui web development tool by KDE, have
    used it on occasion, though from what I gather it's more useful if you
    have a large project and/or use something besides flat HTML, like php.
    If you just need simple, flat HTML and you really don't want to learn
    how to code it yourself, you might want to try Amaya.
    /usr/ports/www/amaya - http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
    I haven't done more than play around with it, but the code should at
    least be better than most office-suite generators, as it's made by w3c.

    - jt
    Joshua Guest

  10. #10

    On 2005-03-13, Joshua Tinnin <com> wrote: [/ref]

    nvu (best)

    amaya (confusing)

    mozilla (too simple)

    Sergei Guest

  11. #11

    Amaya, and nvu (which the other fellow mentioned) look like what I am
    seeking. I will try them both.

    Thanks!

    bsdzz Guest