Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing an Image to Greyscale when already in InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, a quick question if anyone can help me. Is there a way to switch an image that you already have in InDesign from color to Greyscale? With the setup they have here at work, it would be great if this is as easy to do as flipping the image horizontally. So basically the question is: How do I change a graphic on a color page to greyscale without changing the rest of the page or having to open the image in Photoshop to make the change?...

  1. #1

    Default Changing an Image to Greyscale when already in InDesign

    Doug_MacRostie@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You essentially can't do that.

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    The only way is to edit the image in the original application. It is easy in InDesign CS or CS2. On the links palette flyout menu, click edit original. The graphic will open in the associated program and you can change it, save it (same name and place), and it will be changed in InDesign.

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    Deland, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you want to maintain the original color version, you can (in Photoshop) add a Channel Mixer layer (or a Hue/Saturation layer) as the top layer in the stack and use that to get your grayscale version.

    Often when I'm preparing photos for publication, I do not know whether they will be used as color or B&W. I put a Channel Mixero layer on the top, and use it for the B&W conversion. I save the photo as a PSD. Then once it's placed in InDesign CS2, I can turn the top layer on or off, depending on whether it's going to be color or B&W.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Great tip, Stu! A great use for the new feature in CS2 for being able to turn Photoshop layers on and off from within InDesign!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That is clever, Stu! I salute you.

    Mike
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  7. #7

    Often when I'm preparing photos for publication, I do not know whether
    they will be used as color or B&W. I put a Channel Mixero layer on the
    top, and use it for the B&W conversion. I save the photo as a PSD. Then
    once it's placed in InDesign CS2, I can turn the top layer on or off,
    depending on whether it's going to be color or B&W.

    Slick. I'll file this one away for future use.

    Thanks for the tip.
    Roger_Meeker@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Yeah - thanks everyone. I was hoping their was a simple function that would convert the image within the InDesign doent (I'm e-lazy...), too bad I have 2.0

    Thanks again!
    Doug_MacRostie@adobeforums.com Guest