Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing Color across all embeded illustrator objects... - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi all - I have a simple InDesign doc (2.0) with a number of placed illustrator 9 objects - all of which are simple line drawings with "Global" color swatches assigned to them. I'm trying to configure my .indd file so that I can change the color of EVERYTHING (text, emeded illustrator art, & objects) easily. Is there a way to change the color of embeded (placed) illutrator objects in InDesign? thanks again!...

  1. #1

    Default Changing Color across all embeded illustrator objects...

    Matthew_Mirande@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Yes, if you've pasted them as paths/geometry - you can treat them as a drawing/stroke/shape done in CS

    pasting from Illustrator uncheck preferences>file handling and clipboard>clipboard on quit

    placed/linked Ai files should update automatically in CS if youve amended them in Illustrator
    simon_biddell@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Matthew,

    I have a bunch of these type of logos in one of my projects. I use a separate color swatch for them. I can then redefine the color swatch and all of the logos change.

    Kirk
    Kirk_Dickinson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    yes... but... how?

    I can't really assign a color swatched to my placed line art... when I do, it updates the color of the container / frame... as opposed to the art itself.

    There's something about assigning "process" colors in the help files but i've already tried that with no luck.
    Matthew_Mirande@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Matthew,

    I see what you are saying now. Back when I used Pagemaker, you could assign a swatch to a placed AI or EPS and the art would change not the container.

    I thought you wanted to change embedded AI art. That you can do. I looked at your original post and you said embedded and placed. Different things.

    If you embed the AI artwork, you can assign any swatch you want to the object and even apply stroke and color to the outline. You cannot do that with a placed AI. Not that I have ever figured out.

    Interesting enough, you can actually reassign the color of a placed greyscale tiff though. Go figure?

  6. #6

    cool... thanks. i tried this with embeded AI art but still no luck...

    I basically clicked on the placed art within Ind... then selected "Embed File" from the Links Palette menu. The file still behaves in the same way (any color change effects the container exclusively).

    if it's not too much trouble, can you give me a step-by-step walkthru?
    Matthew_Mirande@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Matthew,

    I am sorry, I used the wrong terminology.

    AI files can be placed, embeded, or converted to outlines. The third is what you need.

    In AI, select your logo with the Direct Selection tool and Copy. Go to ID and paste. You now have the paths directly in ID. You can assign stroke and color directly to the outlines. You can even edit the path with the tools in ID.

    Generally the cut and paste method is verboten with DTP and it does run against the grain for me too. I was trained in DTP to place/link everthing and to only use EPS or Tif. This is one of the few instances where Cut & Paste is actually beneficial.

    Hope that helps and sorry for the mis-statement before.

  8. #8

    In order for that to work, you must change the AI clipboard preference
    to AICB with preserve paths.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  9. #9

    Bob,

    That has always worked for me from AI. I don't remember changing the preference, but may have. Have always been irritated that Corel Draw wouldn't do it. Have saved CDR's as AI's so I could copy and paste from AI.

    Actually, I just checked and the preferences are set to PDF. At least the setting that says "Clipboard on Quit" only has PDF checked.

    Has been working for me. It only works if I use the Direct selection tool. If I use the regular selection tool, it will act the same as a placed AI file.

  10. #10

    That's because it comes in as a group. Ungroup it and you can use the
    regular selection tool.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest