Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing Computers and Broken Links - Macromedia Dreamweaver

When I changed computers, the path to all the files on my local site changed from: C:\My Doents\My Websites\Webst2\prtfolio\ to C:\Doents and Settings\Owner\My Doents\My Websites\Webst2\prtfolio\ (basically the same except for the 2nd and 3rd sections of the path). Also, I went from Win98 to WinXP. Now, it appears to me that all the images, etc. will have to be reinserted. Isn't there a quick way to fix this without going to each individual page and redoing everything? I already performed "check links", but I don't know what to do from that point. This may sound silly, but one fix I ...

  1. #1

    Default Changing Computers and Broken Links

    When I changed computers, the path to all the files on my local site changed from:
    C:\My Doents\My Websites\Webst2\prtfolio\
    C:\Doents and Settings\Owner\My Doents\My Websites\Webst2\prtfolio\

    (basically the same except for the 2nd and 3rd sections of the path).
    Also, I went from Win98 to WinXP.

    Now, it appears to me that all the images, etc. will have to be reinserted. Isn't there a quick way to fix this without going to each individual page and redoing everything? I already performed "check links", but I don't know what to do from that point.

    This may sound silly, but one fix I thought of was moving "My Doents" to directly under C:\. It might solve the problem, but I don't know if it is dangerous to do so.

    Thank you,
    Paula

    PaulaJune webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:Changing Computers and Broken Links

    mmmmmmmmmmm...when you go to another computer..place the folder with all you htmls and graphics on the hard drive....make no differents were you put it...open dreamwearer....open new site and link to that folder.....i move folders around on my hard drive all the time...or move folder to another hard drive...never had a problem...going to another hard drive or moving the folder to another area is the same as going to another computer...takes a few seconds to make another site map...

    discman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    have you uploaded thes files to a sever....i bet you linked your graphic to your hard drive and not to your site map with the with the html...

    ok let say you have a folder and that has all you graphics and htmls in it...your graphics and html are not in seperate folder...(i'm trying to make this easy)...

    now you have an html called 001.html open from that folder.

    you link a gaphic from that folder to the html called sam.jpg

    in the properites window the path to that graphic will be
    sam.jpg.......that's it

    now if in that same folder you have all the graphics in a folder called graphics
    the path to sam.jpg will be

    graphic/sam.jpg.......that's it...so on and so on....

    you need to define the site map and then save a newly open html with nothing in it before working on a new page...if you don't first define the site and then begin to work on it and import graphics. The graphics path will be to you hard drive...and not to the site....that is why you have C: and such a long path to your images...

    discman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    here try this

    make a new folder on your desktop....
    put a graphic in it......

    open dreamwearer
    go to you menu and go to site then to new site.

    now navitgate tothe folder on the desktop with the graphic in it
    choose the folder...don't open it just choose it

    now close that out.....................

    open a new html and save it to that folder......
    now import the graphic into that new html...........

    look at the properties window...that is the path to the graphic.......and it does not matter if you have that folder buried deep into your hard drive...it will have that same path

    discman webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re:Changing Computers and Broken Links

    What do the links look like? Can you post one of them here?

    --
    Colm
    [url]http://www.moosepucky.com/links/links.cfm[/url] > Links

    "PaulaJune" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the quick response. So maybe the problem is with how I defined
    the site on the new computer? I had already placed all the files on the hard
    drive of my new computer. The only difference, as I stated, is with the
    beginning of the path. "Doents and Settings\Owner" precedes the "My
    Doents" folder. Everything else is exactly the same.

    colm Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    YES--THEY WERE ALL ALREADY ON THE WEB BEFORE CHANGING COMPUTERS. IT'S WHEN I WANTED TO GO IN AND CHANGE ONE OF THE PGS ON MY HD THAT I REALIZED THE PROBLEM. MY WEBSITE ADDRESS IS [url]www.pbdesigns.net[/url]

    ok let say you have a folder and that has all you graphics and htmls in it...your graphics and html are not in seperate folder...(i'm trying to make this easy)...
    now you have an html called 001.html open from that folder.
    you link a gaphic from that folder to the html called sam.jpgin the properites window the path to that graphic will besam.jpg.......that's it
    now if in that same folder you have all the graphics in a folder called graphics
    the path to sam.jpg will be graphic/sam.jpg.......that's it...so on and so on....
    YES, I REALIZE THAT. THEY WERE ALL SET UP THAT WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE. WHEN I OPENED THE FILES LOCALLY ON THE NEW COMPUTER, SUDDENLY THE ENTIRE PATH (INCLUDING THE TWO, NEW, DIFFERENT FOLDERS: Doents and Settings\Owner) WAS INCLUDED IN EACH ASSOCIATION PATH, EVEN THOUGH I NEVER SET THEM UP THAT WAY. I JUST DISCOVERED WHEN I ELIMINATE THE BEGINNING PART OF THE PATH, THE IMAGE WILL APPEAR AGAIN. IT'S JUST THAT I HAVE HUNDREDS OF IMAGES, AND THOUGHT THERE MIGHT BE SOME FASTER WAY BESIDES GOING IN TO EACH IMAGE PATH.

    you need to define the site map and then save a newly open html with nothing in it before working on a new page...if you don't first define the site and then begin to work on it and import graphics. The graphics path will be to you hard drive...and not to the site....that is why you have C: and such a long path to your images...
    THE FIRST THING I DID AFTER I CHANGED COMPUTERS, WAS TO PUT ALL THE WEBSITE FILES ON MY HARD DRIVE UNDER "MY DOENTS". THEN, I DEFINED THE SITE. IF YOU WANT TO GO FURTHER WITH THIS AND GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL, I CAN SEND THE SCREEN PRINTS OF THE SITE DEFINITIONS. MAYBE THAT'S WHERE I MESSED UP. IF IT MATTERS, I ALSO SWITCHED FROM USING DREAMWEAVER 2 TO MX.
    I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME. THANK YOU.

    PaulaJune webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi,

    I tried that, and it works for the new site, but as I said in my last message, the entire paths were added to each image source for the already-established site.

    If you're willing, I'll send screen prints of my site definitions, but need your email.
    Thank you so much,