Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing from half letter to letter doent size - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have a doent that was created in the size it will be (5.5" x 8.8") and it will be punched on the spine side. It has a slightly larger margin on the spine side to accomodate the holes. The person doing the printing would like me to submit it on full letter size (2 copies on each page) in order to facilitate the printing. They could then use "regular" size paper and cut it into two parts. Is there any utility or feature that I could use to facilitate this procedure. In trying it on one portion, the process ...

  1. #1

    Default Changing from half letter to letter doent size

    I have a doent that was created in the size it will be (5.5" x 8.8") and it will be punched on the spine side. It has a slightly larger margin on the spine side to accomodate the holes. The person doing the printing would like me to submit it on full letter size (2 copies on each page) in order to facilitate the printing. They could then use "regular" size paper and cut it into two parts.
    Is there any utility or feature that I could use to facilitate this procedure. In trying it on one portion, the process is laborious, especially with having to preserver the extra margin on the inside.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received!
    Jane_Evans@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Changing from half letter to letter doent size

    Is this going on a copier or printing press? How many pages? If the printer is trying to save you money, he should be printing this on an 11 x 17 sheet, not letter size.

    Is the size correct? A letter is 8.5 x 11. You wrote down 8.8 x 11 which doesn't fit 2-up on a letter size sheet any way you slice it.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I suspect she meant to write 5.5x8.5

    So is "The person doing the printing" a printer by profession, of just a friend helping you out?

    If the former, I would have to wonder why they are having you set the job up in final printing configuration. That is a printers job.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Is this a booklet, brochure, what? If it's a book, there's a script floating around that will put pages into printer spreads. You can then export the resultant book as a PDF and remit to printer. As long as the original file allows for X" needed for the 3-hole punch, you should be okay.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    This is definitely the printer's job to set up the pages to print the way he wants them.

    However, if you must do it yourself, you can use the InBooklet SE plug-in that comes with CS2 to get a usable set-up. You have the choice of 2-up Booklet, 2-up Perfect Bind, or 2-up Consecutive. None of these will give you same page duplicated twice on one sheet, but one of the choices above will give you an imposition that will work.You just need to figure out which one fits what you are trying to do.
    terrapindesign@carolina.rr.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry, hit the wrong key. It is 8.5 x 11. When I deal with "real" printers, this would not be an issue. However, this is a printer like Kinkos, etc. I give them a pdf, not a full InDesign package.
    With the printer he is using, it wants to do its own imposing. I had given him an imposed newsletter that had 8 pages on an 11x17 setup, and it ended up (not in my version) with the last page first and vice versa.
    So I need to give it to him unimposed.
    He had sent me a file on how he would do it, and he would center each page. This would not allow for the inside larger margin.
    I had hoped that there might be a script that would do page duplication. To go through 100+ pages is a very laborious process, but it seems to be the only way to have the job done properly.
    Jane_Evans@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    We've done this with books for our inhouse digital press. What we do is create a PDF of the book and then use the "place all pages" option for the PDF on a fresh doent created at the correct size for 2 up. You can set up the page as 2 column with no margins and you would then just be able to place the PDF in each corner. You can then go back and either drag duplicate each page to the column beside it or place the PDF a second time to populate the second side of each page. It is time consuming, but the nice thing about the final is that if there are changes to the book later on, all you have to do is update the PDF and then refresh the links in your 2-up doent.

    I'm not a script writer, but I bet that would be an easy script to write.
    Diane_King@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I had been somewhat concerned about the possible later changes that might be needed, especially if there were several pages of flowed text. This sounds like the easiest thing to do. Thank you so much.
    Jane_Evans@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Jane I never give a packaged job to even "real printers" everyone gets a PDF from me.

    just set up your job on the top half of of an 8.5 x 11 sheet. select everything copy.

    now step and repeat 1 copy 5.5 inches vertically
    by_Buko@adobeforums.com Guest