Professional Web Applications Themes

changing numbers as CS2, search and replace - Adobe Illustrator Windows

The problem is this: It will recognize a "whole word" but not a "whole number". If I have the words big and bigger in my file and click "whole word" and search for big I can change the word big without changing the b-i-g in bigger also. However, If I have a number 55 and another number 655123 it will find the two fives in both numbers and change them. I could convert the log numbers to outlines before changing numbers but then we don't have text to change log numbers for future re-orders. Also, a dialogue box pops up ...

  1. #1

    Default changing numbers as CS2, search and replace

    The problem is this:
    It will recognize a "whole word" but not a "whole number".
    If I have the words big and bigger in my file and click "whole word" and search for big I can change the word big without changing the b-i-g in bigger also.
    However, If I have a number 55 and another number 655123 it will find the two fives in both numbers and change them.
    I could convert the log numbers to outlines before changing numbers but then we don't have text to change log numbers for future re-orders.
    Also, a dialogue box pops up to tell you that you've made 2 or 4 or however many changes that you have to click OK for after you change your numbers - an extra step.

    Why wouldn't the "whole word" function work with "whole numbers" too?
    Dan_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: changing numbers as CS2, search and replace

    wonder if there is a way to make a selection of objetcs which may contain both graphics elements and text objects...then sell it to find and replace say all capital "E" s with "R"s? but not affect NON-selected objects.

    ?
    tim_d@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Dan:

    I just tried to do what you are asking about, and it worked like you expected it to. Did you type the numbers in Illustrator? steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    For me it works like Dan is describing. It appears to be that digits are treated as word delimiters, the same as white space is. So "big" also matches the big in big555 or 2big4me, but, as you say, not the big in bigger or biggest.

    That isn't the way "whole word" functions in Word, or BBEdit, or CodeWarrior. It would be interesting to compare some other programs as well.
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Teri & Dan:

    I tried this at work, so when I got home I tried it again and got what you did. I was busy and must have forgotten to hit Find Next. Sheesh. So, in order to make a positive contribution to this thread I tried this in:
    PowerPoint- OK
    Word Pad- OK
    Illustrator 10- OK
    Illustrator CS- It did not work

  6. #6

    Yes the numbers are entered in Illustrator. Now just to make one thing clear. Words arent a problem its numbers. If I have the words big and bigger in my file and click "whole word" and search for big I can change the word big without changing the b-i-g in bigger also.
    However, If I have a number 55 and a log number 655123 it will find the two fives in both numbers and change them.
    Dan_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Dan:

    Teri will probably report more information on this. But, I think you have found a bug in CS and CS2 because it works OK in ver. 10. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Should I submit a bug or will Teri?
    Dan_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Teri always says that user bug reports carry more weight than Adobe employees, so you should do it. I will too for that matter. However, Teri may report back here about how and why this happens, and maybe even a workaround. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I suspect it was an intentional change designed for mixed numeric/alphabetic strings like Studio54. But the last time I worked on anything text related was AI 7, so I have no inside knowledge on it.
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    If it is intentional it does serve the intention very well: if someone wants to change a mixed string it should still work on the whole word level. What if Studio54 moves from Easter Lane 54 to Sunset Boulevard 674 and they wish to keep the name?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I submitted, we'll see what they say.
    Thanks everyone for you help.
    Dan_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    How do I know if they got it, or get a status on the bug?
    Dan_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Dan,

    While you are waiting for the search and destroy bug to be acknowledged and fixed (Teri has been suggesting a certain improvement since 1987), you may search and replace the stand alone number including either or both spaces.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest