Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing the filenames in Canon 20D - Photography

Do anyone know if its posible to change the filename _MG_0.JPG that the camera generate? It would be nice to be able to rename the MG to the photographers letters in advanse and even better to add info in the EXIF. ex: photographers name, phonenumber, e-mail, etc. So if you give your CF card to the journalist to take to the paper the info is already there and you get the correct credit. Hope someone kan help :-)...

  1. #1

    Default Changing the filenames in Canon 20D

    Do anyone know if its posible to change the filename _MG_0.JPG that
    the camera generate?
    It would be nice to be able to rename the MG to the photographers
    letters in advanse and even better to add info in the EXIF.
    ex: photographers name, phonenumber, e-mail, etc.

    So if you give your CF card to the journalist to take to the paper the
    info is already there and you get the correct credit.

    Hope someone kan help :-)
    han Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Changing the filenames in Canon 20D

    not on the camera but you can with most image editing programs such as
    ACDsee, Qimage, PSP or PS-CS
    "han Per" <com> wrote in message

    Canongirly Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:18:24 -0000, "Canongirly" <com> wrote:

    >[/ref]
    OK.... I need to ask....how is that reply relevant to the question?
    It seems to me to be just a short step from saying "print the
    pictures then use a sharpie on the back of each print" ;o)...
    ZONED! Guest

  4. #4

    ZONED! <net> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
    [...]
     [/ref]

    1. it answers: "No" (which is correct)
    2. it hints at a work around.

    Would you like a simple, short 'You cannot' without any other
    words better or is your computer unwilling to do repetetive work
    as directed?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Guest

  5. #5

    After quoting the entire prior post as opposed to the relevant part,
    "ZONED!" <net> wrote in message:
    > OK.... I need to ask....how is that reply relevant to the question?[/ref]

    It was relevant because it fully answered the OP's query, i.e., you can't
    modify the file naming format in the camera. The post then offered
    suggestions for workarounds. Those suggestions probably didn't help the OP
    but may have been of use to someone following the thread.

    jfitz Guest

  6. #6

    "han Per" <com> wrote in message

    I don't believe this can be done without a software hack.

    The photographers name can be uploaded to the camera using Remote Capture.
    It will then be added to the EXIF data.

    jfitz Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:27:30 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <com> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    >[...]
    > [/ref]

    >1. it answers: "No" (which is correct)[/ref]

    True, my mistake

    I do not consider it a workaround when it is not in the parameters of
    the problem. Quite literally the OP asked if it is possible to change
    a file name, It most definately is. However I read into the post that
    the intent was to set the camera up to generate a different file
    prefix such as the Nikon D2h is capable of. I would imagine that most
    people (just a generality, mind you) who would be concerned about file
    names generated by a digital SLR camera would indeed know how to
    change one outside of the camera. Suggesting the answer is a "work
    around" seems to suggest the OP does not know the most basic
    principles of renaming a file.

    >Would you like a simple, short 'You cannot' without any other
    >words better[/ref]

    Yes, why do you ask?

    I do not understand the question

    P.S. I will make every attempt to remember from now on to address my
    posts to whom I am posting to so there is no misunderstanding whom I
    seek an answer from. Thanks.
    ZONED! Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:52:07 -0500, "jfitz" <com> wrote:

    >> OK.... I need to ask....how is that reply relevant to the question?[/ref]
    >
    >It was relevant because it fully answered the OP's query, i.e., you can't
    >modify the file naming format in the camera. The post then offered
    >suggestions for workarounds. Those suggestions probably didn't help the OP
    >but may have been of use to someone following the thread.
    >
    >[/ref]
    See my earlier reply to "workaround"
    ZONED! Guest

  9. #9

    ZONED! <net> wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    That is what a workaround is. Otherwise it would be a
    solution, wouldn't it?

    I believe --- unless you want to change CF cards --- that
    this is the easiest solution there is for now.
     [/ref]

    Most people consider that as rude as you did consider the answer.
     [/ref]

    It is rather easy to automate the renaming, to the point that
    you could shoot a black frame as a marker for the automatic
    name changes.

    Please do pay the usual professional rates to the people whom
    you want to answer you first. And do fix your email and name,
    or you might miss the answer.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Guest