Professional Web Applications Themes

Changing Web Page Galleries - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

HELP: I am a high school teacher and webmaster for a school in Ohio. I am trying to modify the Web Page Gallery templates to mimick what we have been doing by hand. I want the file size of each image to appear under the photo name - so a user knows how long they will have to wait for the download. So far, the only solution I can come up with is to mannually insert the file size in the File > File Info > Caption field. I tried to figure out how to create an Action do do ...

  1. #1

    Default Changing Web Page Galleries

    HELP:

    I am a high school teacher and webmaster for a school in Ohio. I am trying to modify the Web Page Gallery templates to mimick what we have been doing by hand.

    I want the file size of each image to appear under the photo name - so a user knows how long they will have to wait for the download. So far, the only solution I can come up with is to mannually insert the file size in the File > File Info > Caption field. I tried to figure out how to create an Action do do this... to no avail.

    I would also like to have the links on the thumbnail pages in this format:

    Page 2 of 7
    Turn to page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
    rather than the way Photoshop does:
    Previous | page 2 of 7 | Next

    Also, when the user is viewing page 2, I don't want that link active (so user doesn't accidentally re-load the same page). I realise I could modify the template before creating the pages and set the number of pages in the current photo set, link mannually i.e. 2 = index_2.htm, and then after creation open the pages and turn off the link to the current page, but I'm looking for a quicker way.

    Below is an example of what I'm trying to re-produce:
    <http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/football/photos_vs_perry_8-30-2002_p2.htm>

    Below is how "close" I am getting to reproducing the above affect using Photoshop Web Page Gallery:

    Note the file size does appear on the first photo (I inserted the size mannually), be sure to check out the links at the bottom.

    <http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/football/july_14-17_camp/index.htm>

    I would love to "add" the ability of a user to go from one big image directly to the next, which is the neat feature of Adobe creating all the HTM pages, but I don't want to lose the "user friendly" features of our pages right now - warning users of file sizes and allowing them to "jump" to a certain page.

    HELP!
    KHS Webmaster
    email: [email]KHSKenstonLocal.com[/email]
    KHS Webmaster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Changing Web Page Galleries

    I'm sorry you haven't got any response, as this is a very active forum with many helpful and knowledgeable people. You are very unlikely to have offended anyone.

    I wonder if it's because the Web gallery facility is not widely used by PS 7 users. It is a slightly "amateur" approach by many people's perception. [I don't think this, but I may be the exception.] What you might like to try is repeating this post on the Photoshop Elements forum. PSE has, I believe, basically the same functionality and there may be folks over there who know about it.

    Sorry I can't help further.
    Colin Walls Guest

  3. #3

    there's 2 approaches you can use. combine them both. they are copying and modifying the source, and hand editing. the html output to fix things the way you want.

    I don't know if all you want can be achieved auto-magically. you can modify the web gallery templates on the hard drive. they're in:

    D:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\WebContactSheet

    where D: is your drive where PS is installed.

    copy one that closely matches your starting point, rename it uniquely and it'll show up in PS. Now you can edit those pages, but you need to be careful not to mess with the variables ps has embedded to facilitate the automation. You'll know the variables because they're all surrounded with percent signs, like "%TITLE%".

    Hope that gets you started.

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  4. #4

    COLIN: Thanks for your response. Hmmm- Is there a software program designed specifically for building Web Page Galleries? We have been using Thumbnails Plus made by Cerious software... I spoke with them four years ago asking if a future version would have the ability to make the htm sleves needed for going directly to the next big photo, they said they were working on it, but their most recent version still has not implemented such a feature.

    DAVE: Thanks for the input. I have done what you suggested - My obsticle is in creating the "links". PS must have in its scripting the ability to know how many pages are being generated (since it does supply the "page 2 of x" feature). Can I modify that to turn it into:
    Turn to page: 1 | 2 | 3 etc.
    And my second biggest problem is inserting the file size into the File > File Info > Caption field automatically, so the file size will show up under the photo. The file size does appear in the Info tool bar, and it does appear in the "save as" window - can I somehow creat an Action that will copy it to the Caption field, and then run a batch?

    Thanks!
    KHS Webmaster
    KHS Webmaster Guest

  5. #5

    Can I modify that to turn it into: Turn to page: 1 | 2 | 3 etc.

    good news and bad news. bad is no, not automatically. good news is you should be able to type it once and copy/paste it to each page...

    And my second biggest problem is inserting the file size into the File
    > File Info > Caption field automatically, so the file size will show
    up under the photo. The file size does appear in the Info tool bar, and
    it does appear in the "save as" window - can I somehow creat an Action
    that will copy it to the Caption field, and then run a batch?

    I don't know if that can be done automatically either. Tony's our "ActionMan". :) TONY! Any ideas?

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  6. #6

    MS FrontPage does a reasonable job of making galleries. I am not really sure if it'll do what you want, but maybe it's worth a look.
    Colin Walls Guest

  7. #7

    I made a Web Page Gallery in photoshop, then took it into Dreamweaver and modified the elements of the HTML from there. Dreamweaver can also create a decent Web Photo Gallery.
    Barbara Felix Guest

  8. #8

    DAVE: Thanks... I understand what you are saying, this is how I do it now.

    BARBARA: Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I use Dreamweaver... but didn't know it will make web page galleris. I'll play with it today.
    KHS Webmaster Guest

  9. #9

    I understand what you are saying, this is how I do it now.

    do what? edit the html by hand? you need to know html and you need to use an editor like notepad or wordpad or else an app like frontpage or dreamweaver.
    dave milbut Guest

  10. #10

    No, You do everything from the doent window using the Properties inspector in Dreamweaver, unless you are adding or changing the Javascript.

    If you create it in Dreamweaver, the templates are under the Command Menu. I recommend that you just have to have all your photos sized and in one folder. It's really cool and easy because it happens in seconds and it's totally editable.
    Barbara Felix Guest

  11. #11

    I agree w/Barbara. If you're not comfortable coding html and you have (and can use) an app like dreamweaver, that's probably you're best bet.
    dave milbut Guest