Professional Web Applications Themes

Character style has a little + after style - Adobe Indesign Windows

Sometimes when I try to change some copy to a particular character style, the font won't fully change. Instead I get a small + after the style. How do I force the text to change to the character style I've chosen. Indesign 2.02, windows....

  1. #1

    Default Character style has a little + after style

    mark_jewell@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Character style has a little + after style

    Hold the alt key down while selecting the style. That will override the
    local formatting.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Character styles trump paragraph styles; but direct formatting trumps all else. The plus sign might be something you want to get rid of; but often you want to keep things like bold and italic which show up as a plus sign indicating attributes in addition to the paragraph and/or character style. Many in this forum replace all direct formatting with a character style doing the same thing. This maximizes your control over all the text.

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks! I knew there had to be an easy way to override that.
    MJ
    mark_jewell@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    This is totally off the topic, but, I grew up next door to a Mark Jewell, in Toronto on Pine Crescent. I know this is a shot in the dark, but you wouldn't be him, would you?

    If not, you can feel free to ignore this message.

    Thanks.
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    HELP!! I have a doent that I am working on...I am using character styles...I am getting the little plus sign...I am alt+clicking...it isn't going away. This always worked in Quark, now I am banging my head against the wall. I have looked in the InDesign Bible, Indesing Help and now here. What do you do when you can't get rid of the plus and use the character style to override all manual styles.

    TIA,
    Megan
    Megan_Larson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Is the + only against the character style or also against the paragraph style? Try alt-clicking the paragraph style name.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'm not using paragraph styles right now, just character styles.
    Megan_Larson@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I was having this same problem. I had a paragraph style with a "+", and a character style selected that I didn't want. I alt-clicked on the paragraph style, choose "no character style" (the + would go away), and as soon as I started typing, it would GO BACK to the character style. In my case it was inside a table. I'm interested in hearing advice on this one too. It was driving me crazy! I ended up erasing the contents of the cell and selecting no style and retyping it again.
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Ah well there's your problem. Character styles are designed to augment paragraph styles. If you use them on unstyled text the result will usually be a mess.

  11. #11

    Ok, so I am going back and adding paragraph styles. I am confused though. In Quark, you could associate paragraph and character styles, but in ID it looks like you can just associate paragraph styles to paragraph styles and character styles with character styles. How do you link, say, "Body Text" character style with "Body Text" paragraph style?
    Megan_Larson@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Quark and InDesign work differently in this regard. InDesign's approach is much more flexible for the vast majority of situations but it does mean you have to unlearn some XPress habits.

  13. #13

    >but in ID it looks like you can just associate paragraph styles to
    paragraph styles and character styles with character styles. How do you
    link, say, "Body Text" character style with "Body Text" paragraph style?

    Create the body text par style first. Apply that style to a paragraph. With
    your cursor in that text, create a new character style. In my case, this
    will be an italics treatment, or some such.

    The way I see it, the char style says: "look at the par style...then look at
    the char style and do 'this' (some usually minor modification) to it."

    Play with this a bit...absent any previous expectations this was easy for
    me. :-)

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest