Professional Web Applications Themes

Character Switching Problem - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Can anyone tell me when/why Dreamweaver MX would switch an apostrophe, for example, to ? Then there's for an em dash, when I know I used the "Insert em dash" pull down menu originally, just to avoid this problem. I have just gone through a 35-page site page by page for final proofing. I ran the spell checker on each page, got them to where I thought they were all perfect and later when I went to look, most of the pages had these odd characters. I've been working on this site for months and the odd characters only ...

  1. #1

    Default Character Switching Problem

    Can anyone tell me when/why Dreamweaver MX would switch an apostrophe, for example, to ? Then
    there's for an em dash, when I know I used the "Insert em dash" pull down menu originally, just to
    avoid this problem.

    I have just gone through a 35-page site page by page for final proofing. I ran the spell checker on
    each page, got them to where I thought they were all perfect and later when I went to look, most of
    the pages had these odd characters. I've been working on this site for months and the odd characters
    only showed up today. I suspect the spell checker, or perhaps making text edits in layout mode? I
    searched MM and this group, but couldn't find reference to this problem.

    It happened to me once before when I was doing a final proof for another site. It's an awful,
    time-consuming mess cause now I have to go back and minutely proof every page all over again. Search
    and replace won't work for all of it cause I don't know how the characters correspond, and I don't
    know all of the ones it switched.

    It would help a lot if I knew why this happened and especially how I can prevent it in the future.
    Could it be an obscure Mac bug (I'm running DW MX 6.1 on OS 10.2.3), or is there something everybody
    else knows about these characters that I've missed entirely.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Vicki
    Vicki Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Character Switching Problem

    Vicki <vsm1656> wrote:
    To transmit special, non-ASCII characters, you need to set
    Edit > Preferences > Message Options >
    Composing messages > Send with MIME
    [url]http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/Preferences.html#Send_with_MIME[/url]

    And please restrict your line length to 70-75 characters.
    > Can anyone tell me when/why Dreamweaver MX would switch an apostrophe, for exa
    > there's ? for an em dash, when I know I used the "Insert em dash" pull down me
    > avoid this problem.
    Write ’ for apostrophe and — for em-dash.
    [url]http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual2.html#symbols[/url]

    --
    Top posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

  3. #3

    Vicki <vsm1656> wrote:
    > I have reset my preferences to send with MIME and to restrict the line
    > length to 70 characters. My apologies, if my message appeared garbled.
    Thank you!
    > Your links on special characters were very helpful, but my real
    > question is how Dreamweaver MX handles them. For some reason,
    > Dreamweaver substituted, as an example, for an apostrophe that was
    > already in the text. This was not on newly entered text or text I had
    > typed in. It was an apostrophe in a word that has sat there unchanged
    > for weeks while I tinkered with other parts of the page - until today,
    > when suddenly these apostrophes turned into .
    This is the result of confusion between the Macintosh Roman character
    set und Windows Code Page 1252. Character 213 = xD5 is an apostrophe
    in MacRoman but a "capital O with tilde" in cp1252.
    [url]http://czyborra.com/chts/codepages.html#CP1252[/url]
    [url]http://czyborra.com/chts/codepages.html#MacRoman[/url]
    You (or Dreamweaver) shouldn't use such special Windows encodings.
    The OS-independent way to write an apostrophe is ’ . If you
    insert ’ into your code, Dreamweaver shouldn't touch it.