Professional Web Applications Themes

Characters overlapping in pdf doent created from a Word doent - Adobe Acrobat Windows

We are using Adobe Acrobat 6.0, Word and Excel 2002 and Windows 2000. We create a portion of a doent in Word and a portion in Excel. Then we print to Adobe PDF (through the file/print menu in both programs)so we can bring the doents together and collate pages and apply certain securities to them. Our problem only happens sometimes and we really can't find a reason for it but some of the text characters will overlap one another in the newly created pdf file. Not on all pages and only some of the words. When we created the pdf ...

  1. #1

    Default Characters overlapping in pdf doent created from a Word doent

    We are using Adobe Acrobat 6.0, Word and Excel 2002 and Windows 2000. We create a portion of a doent in Word and a portion in Excel. Then we print to Adobe PDF (through the file/print menu in both programs)so we can bring the doents together and collate pages and apply certain securities to them. Our problem only happens sometimes and we really can't find a reason for it but some of the text characters will overlap one another in the newly created pdf file. Not on all pages and only some of the words. When we created the pdf a second time - there was no problem.

    Any ideas on what causes this?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sandy
    Sandy_Pirkle@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Make sure you are using Acrobat 6.0.1 - thjis alone may solve the problem.

    There are various explanation on why this happens, for example

    Low system resources

    Combining 2 PDFs that have different embedded subsets of the same font.
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sandy,
    I just posted a reply to someone having similar problems in PowerPoint. The problem now only occurs when PDFs are combined. No one has suggested how to solve having different embedded subsets of the same font. (my recent posting below)

    I am having the same problem. Using Windows XP Professional, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard, new Gateway desktop-type (tower) computer, converting Word 2000 files to PDFs. This problem is maddening. I bought ATM Deluxe 4.1 (have also installed patch). No solution. The only answer I received on my previous post was from Ian Burton (March 5, 2004) "I was just prompted by another post to recall that something similar to this was caused by merging two PDFs with different subsets of the same font. If you suspect that this may be the issue you have, you must ensure that PDFs to be merged have only fully embedded fonts and no subsets at all. Apparently Acrobat does not know which font subset to use for a particular set of characters - hence it can use the wrong subset - that is a font subset that does have the metrics for some of the characters being displayed - hence overlapping or crushed characters." By researching and changing my PDF-creation settings, I can now create individual PDFs that do not have the overlapping text problem. However, when combined, the problem is still there. We are also having this problem in PowerPoint as well as Word.

    Joan
    Joan_Terrell@adobeforums.com Guest