Professional Web Applications Themes

chat within asp.net? - ASP.NET General

Hello microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet! Is this possible to write very simple chat within asp.net (asking google I got only commercial components' websites)? BTW: How can I dynamically add LinkButton to my WebForm? TIA -- OJO "You cannot say, that everybody's happy, But you can say, that everybody is now Safe from each other." King Diamond...

  1. #1

    Default chat within asp.net?

    --
    OJO

    "You cannot say, that everybody's happy,
    But you can say, that everybody is now
    Safe from each other."
    King Diamond

    OJO Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: chat within asp.net?

    Sure, I can envision a chat page where multiple clients keep posting back
    and the server keeps track of the conversations.
    A more efficient solution might be to use a windows forms app and call a web
    service to manage the conversations.

    Dim myLinkButton As New LinkButton()
    myLinkButton.Text = "This is my LinkButton"
    Page.Controls.Add(myLinkButton)

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "OJO" <o_ojopoczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    > Hello microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet!
    >
    > Is this possible to write very simple chat within asp.net (asking google I
    > got only commercial components' websites)?
    >
    > BTW:
    > How can I dynamically add LinkButton to my WebForm?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > OJO
    >

    > "You cannot say, that everybody's happy,
    > But you can say, that everybody is now
    > Safe from each other."
    > King Diamond

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD Guest

  3. #3

    You could write a html chat app that refreshes on a timer. Store the
    messages in the Application object.

    Thanks.
    Gavin Joyce

    nTierGen.NET Code Generator - [url]http://www.nTierGen.NET/[/url]

    Stored Procedures (Get, GetPaged, Insert, Update, Delete)
    Data Access Layer - C#
    Business Rules Layer - C# & VB.NET
    Strongly-Typed DataSets - C#
    Web Services - C#
    "OJO" <o_ojopoczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    > Hello microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet!
    >
    > Is this possible to write very simple chat within asp.net (asking google I
    > got only commercial components' websites)?
    >
    > BTW:
    > How can I dynamically add LinkButton to my WebForm?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > OJO
    >

    > "You cannot say, that everybody's happy,
    > But you can say, that everybody is now
    > Safe from each other."
    > King Diamond

    Gavin Joyce Guest

  4. #4

    Użytkownik "Steve C. Orr, MCSD" <SteveOrr.net> napisał w wiadomości
    > Sure, I can envision a chat page where multiple clients keep posting back
    > and the server keeps track of the conversations.
    :D
    > A more efficient solution might be to use a windows forms app and call a
    > web service to manage the conversations.
    Ok, "chat" was only unfortunate pretext. Actually I need another feature. I
    have instaled windows service on my machine. I control that service over tcp
    using System.Runtime.Remoting. Now what I need. I need my page to show some
    informations, got using technique described above. So the page should be
    constantly refreshed. I could use some client-side script, but want to
    refresh only if data is changed. That's the problem. Anyone could help me?
    > Dim myLinkButton As New LinkButton()
    > myLinkButton.Text = "This is my LinkButton"
    > Page.Controls.Add(myLinkButton)
    Yes, I tried it milion times today. Control is added to Page.Controls, but
    doesn't appear on the WebForm (Control.Visible=True doesn't make any trick)
    :(

  5. #5

    Two options:
    1) Use Smartnavigation. IE will appear to refresh only the parts of the
    page that have changed.
    Here's more information on that:
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemwebuipageclasssmartnavigationtopic.asp[/url]
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/cpconpage.asp[/url]

    2) Use web services. Use client side code to manually call back to your
    server and then update the necessary parts of the UI yourself via DHTML and
    javascript. For this you'll probably need to use the web service behavior.
    Here's more information on that:
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp[/url]

    The linkbutton add code should work well from within the Page Init and Page
    Load events. If you are trying to add it from other places in the event
    model then things get a bit more dicey.

    --

    > Użytkownik "Steve C. Orr, MCSD" <SteveOrr.net> napisał w wiadomości
    > > Sure, I can envision a chat page where multiple clients keep posting
    back
    > > and the server keeps track of the conversations.
    >
    > :D
    >
    > > A more efficient solution might be to use a windows forms app and call a
    > > web service to manage the conversations.
    >
    > Ok, "chat" was only unfortunate pretext. Actually I need another feature.
    > have instaled windows service on my machine. I control that service over
    tcp
    > using System.Runtime.Remoting. Now what I need. I need my page to show
    some
    > informations, got using technique described above. So the page should be
    > constantly refreshed. I could use some client-side script, but want to
    > refresh only if data is changed. That's the problem. Anyone could help me?
    >
    > > Dim myLinkButton As New LinkButton()
    > > myLinkButton.Text = "This is my LinkButton"
    > > Page.Controls.Add(myLinkButton)
    >
    > Yes, I tried it milion times today. Control is added to Page.Controls, but
    > doesn't appear on the WebForm (Control.Visible=True doesn't make any
    trick)
    > :(
    >
    > --
    > OJO
    >

    > "You cannot say, that everybody's happy,
    > But you can say, that everybody is now
    > Safe from each other."
    > King Diamond

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD Guest