Professional Web Applications Themes

"checkered" patterns on (some) page-palette spreads - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi. I read an archived message about this phenomenon, and I could'nt figure out what this was caused by. Or, more accurately, how to fix it. I've got one two-page spread that has this checker-board pattern across the pages, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Could it cause some unknown problem when being printed? Thanks. :)...

  1. #1

    Default "checkered" patterns on (some) page-palette spreads

    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Adam,

    The pattern indicates that the page, (or spread), contains transparency. It will appear if you place an image containing transparency, or use any of InDesign's built-in features that leverage transparency, (drop shadows, feathering, blend modes, etc.).

    There's no malfunction. It's simply an indication as to whether a page contains transparency to be flattened at output.
    John Mensinger Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks John.

    Is there a tool somewhere that will allow me to flatten it before I send it to output? I tried to use the Spread Flattening item in the Pages palette, but nothing seemed to change.
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Flattening happens on output, either in the Print dialogs or Export to PDF, but only if you want it to. You can pass the transparency downstream in a PDF for later flattening.

    There is no way within InDesign to flatten the doent itself. The concept does not exist. The only way to make a flat (in the sense you mean) InDesign doent is to not use any of the transparency features.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Dave.

    I didn't use any transparency features. Simply placed text and images from a Word doc, and, I guess, some of the images must be slightly different in some way.

    I'll look at the source doc to see what I can find out.
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    InDesign errs on the cautious side. If it can't tell whether or not an image uses transparency and it is possible for it to do so, then it will flag the page as using transparency just in case.

  7. #7

    OK then.

    Thanks all.

    As long as it's just a flag, and it's not going to cause any headaches.

    :)
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    What might cause you headaches are those images that you imported from Word. Are you planning to go to press with this job? Or is it for web viewing/pdf distribution only?

    I'd be very wary of going to press with graphics directly imported from Word. Get them out of there; process them with Photoshop and link to the Photoshop-saved versions.

  9. #9

    Yep. We're going to press with this.

    Once I've processed them in Photoshop, how do I do the linking?
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    File > Place
    John Mensinger Guest

  11. #11

    Can I also just open it up in Photoshop, do any fixing there, and save it as a .tif, then relink it using the Links palette?

    That seems like an OK way to do it as well.
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Can I also just open it up in Photoshop, do any fixing there, and save
    it as a .tif, then relink it using the Links palette?

    Open what exactly?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I just meant to copy and paste the image into Photoshop, maybe sharpen it or whatever, then "Save As.." a .tif, in the Links folder for the doent, then relink the image to the new .tif

    Does that sound right, or am I going about this in a 'round-about way?
    Adam_Hodge@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    > Does that sound right, or am I going about this in a 'round-about way?

    From Word, it's the right way AND round-about. A two-fer.

    John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15