Professional Web Applications Themes

Checksums and file sizes - SCO

Where is the master list of checksums and file sizes kept, and what should one do if a Verify Software report lists errors between what it found and what it expected? I think somewhere there is something called an Authentication data base, but it seems to get out-dated over time. DAW...

  1. #1

    Default Checksums and file sizes

    Where is the master list of checksums and file sizes kept, and what should
    one do if a Verify Software report lists errors between what it found and
    what it expected?

    I think somewhere there is something called an Authentication data base, but
    it seems to get out-dated over time.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Checksums and file sizes

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:37:57 GMT, "Don Williams" <rr.com>
    wrote:

    Product and version number please?
    For OSR5, try:
    custom -V strict
    which will verify everything including checksums.

    Man page for custom.
    http://docsrv.caldera.com:507/en/man/html.ADM/custom.ADM.html

    It's listed in here somewhere under SSO's, maybe.
    http://docsrv.caldera.com:507/en/man/html.M/hierarchy.M.html

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  3. #3

    Response is inserted where appropriate:

    "Jeff Liebermann" <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    should

    > Product and version number please?[/ref]
    OSR 5.0.6 [/ref]
    but

    > It's listed in here somewhere under SSO's, maybe.
    > http://docsrv.caldera.com:507/en/man/html.M/hierarchy.M.html[/ref]

    I'll check that out. As it is I have a hard copy of the Verify Report -
    Strict database compliance, and it lists 353 errors affecting 199 files.
    One error, the mode of tcbck was fixed. All the others are either checksum
    or file size errors and they are marked (not automatically fixable).

    So, what to do? I think the list it is comparing to is out of date but
    don't know how to fix it. The system works fine, even got the graphics
    screen loading automatically and I like the editor much more than vi or
    vedit. I also have the Joe editor and it's much like Wordstar but I somehow
    got into the habit of using vedit for programs, usually about 2-3 hours
    every day.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  4. #4

    "Don Williams" <rr.com> wrote in message
    but
    Sure nuf, the doentation says that you have to fix checksum and file size
    errors manually after exiting custom or scoadmin.

    O.K., but where and how?

    DAW

    Don Guest

  5. #5

    Don Williams wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Whoa, stop!

    `custom -v strict` compares modified files to their original, unmodified
    forms. This is something you might do if you were preparing to replace
    a system (e.g. do an in-place upgrade) and wanted a list of modified
    files. It is _NOT_ appropriate for a live system you intend to keep
    using. custom(ADM) says:

    " strict
    " report all discrepancies, including expected
    " discrepancies such as changed configuration files and
    " missing optional files. This option can take a long
    " time.

    "expected discrepancies".

    What you may be looking for is:

    custom -V thorough

    In any case, I'm sure you're barking up the wrong tree. Whatever is
    still wrong with the system (and I have no idea what that is, you keep
    tossing off so many different issues every time you turn around) is
    going to be due to misconfiguration within a file that you're supposed
    to be configuring. `custom -v strict` may find it, but you'll never be
    able to figure out which of the hundreds of files it lists is the
    culprit.

    Bela Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 07:55:46 GMT, "Don Williams" <rr.com>
    wrote:

    What problem are you trying to solve?

    Just because the checksum database doesn't agree with
    custom -V strict
    doesn't mean your system is toast, compromised, or rootkited. It
    means that SCO did not do a particularly exemplary job of maintaining
    the checksums for updates, fixes, patches, and security updates. I
    usually look at the output and manually decide what to fix. The usual
    broken symlinks occupy most of my time. These are tricky as they may
    be two versions of the same program or two divergent copies of the
    same configuration file. I look at the permissions and ownership, and
    only tweak files that are obviously wrong or insecure. Anything with
    SUID and GUID gets my immediate attention. Other than that, I do
    nothing and leave the rest alone.

    Do you want to fix the checksum list or the files? What are you
    trying to fix?

    If it works, leave it alone. If it's not broken, you're not trying
    hard enough.

  7. #7

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    should [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    checksum

    > Whoa, stop!
    >
    > `custom -v strict` compares modified files to their original, unmodified
    > forms. This is something you might do if you were preparing to replace
    > a system (e.g. do an in-place upgrade) and wanted a list of modified
    > files. It is _NOT_ appropriate for a live system you intend to keep
    > using. custom(ADM) says:
    >
    > " strict
    > " report all discrepancies, including expected
    > " discrepancies such as changed configuration files and
    > " missing optional files. This option can take a long
    > " time.
    >
    > "expected discrepancies".
    >
    > What you may be looking for is:
    >
    > custom -V thorough
    >
    > In any case, I'm sure you're barking up the wrong tree. Whatever is
    > still wrong with the system (and I have no idea what that is, you keep
    > tossing off so many different issues every time you turn around) is
    > going to be due to misconfiguration within a file that you're supposed
    > to be configuring. `custom -v strict` may find it, but you'll never be
    > able to figure out which of the hundreds of files it lists is the
    > culprit.
    > [/ref]

    Answer: There is nothing wrong with my system at the moment. It's running
    just fine.

    My only concern was the large number of file size and checksum differences
    reported when I ran that strict software system verify and got all the big
    report. Apparently that's because 199 files have been changed since the
    reference numbers were stored. If that's unimportant then I won't worry
    about it for now.

    There was a problem encountered in getting the graphics screen up, and
    shortly after I got it running some of the links which supported the screen
    content seem to have been lost, but the system fixed that, and everything is
    ducky at the moment. My F12 screen boots up in graphics just fine now and
    the editor even works.

    The only thing I haven't been able to solve, and it isn't related to the OS,
    is getting the Belkin Bulldog monitor to communicate over the serial port
    under Open Server. It does communicate over the same port under Win XP and
    it's clearly a Belkin problem which they aren't equipped to solve so all I
    have to do is not leave the system up on Open Server when I leave for more
    than a few minutes. I can do that under Win XP and the software will close
    all programs and shut down the system.

    Again, everything is just fine. I do plan to do an in-place upgrade to
    5.0.7 but not immediately. Maybe I should be concerned then.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  8. #8

    "Jeff Liebermann" <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    checksum

    > What problem are you trying to solve?
    >
    > Just because the checksum database doesn't agree with
    > custom -V strict
    > doesn't mean your system is toast, compromised, or rootkited. It
    > means that SCO did not do a particularly exemplary job of maintaining
    > the checksums for updates, fixes, patches, and security updates. I
    > usually look at the output and manually decide what to fix. The usual
    > broken symlinks occupy most of my time. These are tricky as they may
    > be two versions of the same program or two divergent copies of the
    > same configuration file. I look at the permissions and ownership, and
    > only tweak files that are obviously wrong or insecure. Anything with
    > SUID and GUID gets my immediate attention. Other than that, I do
    > nothing and leave the rest alone.

    > Do you want to fix the checksum list or the files? What are you
    > trying to fix?

    > If it works, leave it alone. If it's not broken, you're not trying
    > hard enough.
    > [/ref]
    somehow

    > --
    > Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    > (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home
    > http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
    > santa-cruz.ca.us com[/ref]

    Jeff, at some point I would like to fix the list since the files seem O.K.
    and the system is running.

    As I said above, I think the list is out of date because of file changes.
    That's why I was asking where the list is stored and how it could be edited.

    For now everything is great, as indicated above so I'll leave things as they
    are.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  9. #9

    Don Williams wrote:

    > > Do you want to fix the checksum list or the files? What are you
    > > trying to fix?
    > >

    > > If it works, leave it alone. If it's not broken, you're not trying
    > > hard enough.[/ref][/ref]

    Let me try to explain this again...

    `custom -V strict` compares your system's _modified_ files to the
    _original_ files shipped with the distribution. It's _supposed_ to
    point out files that you've changed. You could use this if, for
    instance, you were going to install a completely new system and wanted
    to manually copy over (or compare) the files you had changed on the old
    system. It is the wrong tool to use if you want to ask "which files
    have unexpected (anomalous) changes?"

    `custom -V thorough` is the command you're looking for. Even so, do not
    blindly try to follow its output as if it were 100% correct. Every
    release of OpenServer 5.0.x has had a number of symlink breaks, files
    which were mistakenly listed as non-changable when in fact they were
    changable, files whose ownership or permissions are naturally changable,
    and things like that. The "thorough" output is a reasonable guide to
    look through. It is not gospel.

    Bela Guest