Professional Web Applications Themes

chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name - AIX

has anyone ever ran into a problem where there was lots of space in the filesystem but you can not add any files greater than 32K or they get truncated in most cases to 32K or it fails on NOMEM type errors. Well, we had a problem yesterday where we had this situation. the solution from IBM was to "chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name" on the offending file. That allows you more indirect inodes. I do not see much on the net about that "mind" mount option. seems to have been introduced in AIX 4.3.3 ML10. Thats what we are running.....

  1. #1

    Default chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name

    has anyone ever ran into a problem where there was lots of space in the
    filesystem but you can not add any files greater than 32K or they get
    truncated in most cases to 32K or it fails on NOMEM type errors.

    Well, we had a problem yesterday where we had this situation.

    the solution from IBM was to "chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name" on
    the offending file. That allows you more indirect inodes.

    I do not see much on the net about that "mind" mount option. seems to have
    been introduced in AIX 4.3.3 ML10. Thats what we are running..

    June Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name

    June Bug <com> wrote:
    JB> has anyone ever ran into a problem where there was lots of space in the
    JB> filesystem but you can not add any files greater than 32K or they get
    JB> truncated in most cases to 32K or it fails on NOMEM type errors.

    JB> Well, we had a problem yesterday where we had this situation.

    JB> the solution from IBM was to "chfs -a options=rw,mind /filesystem_name" on
    JB> the offending file. That allows you more indirect inodes.

    JB> I do not see much on the net about that "mind" mount option. seems to have
    JB> been introduced in AIX 4.3.3 ML10. Thats what we are running..

    Short URL (for people with 80-column terms who copy-and-paste):

    http://xrl.us/bdkl

    Canonical URL:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_umsgid=google.com

    Regards,

    Nicholas

    --
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines

  3. #3

    "Nicholas Dronen" <frii.com> wrote in message
    the
    /filesystem_name" on
    have
    http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_umsgid=google.com

    Hi Nick, yes, thats the only reference I found before I posted this but it
    does not explain it as well as I hoped. I was hoping for others personal
    experiences on this group as well. thnx

    June Guest

  4. #4

    June Bug <com> wrote:
    JB> "Nicholas Dronen" <frii.com> wrote in message
    JB> news:4011ad3b$0$70309$frii.net... [/ref]
    JB> http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_umsgid=google.com

    JB> Hi Nick, yes, thats the only reference I found before I posted this but it
    JB> does not explain it as well as I hoped. I was hoping for others personal
    JB> experiences on this group as well. thnx

    Please don't include .sigs in your responses. Thanks.

    What more about the problem do you want to know? Or, if you don't
    know what you want to know, then: why are you asking?

    There's a thread about the problem here, although it doesn't provide
    as much information as the previous message I posted:

    http://xrl.us/bdmj
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=msgid%3A8ueeib%24rte%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

    Regards,

    Nicholas
    Nicholas Guest

  5. #5

    basically I wanted to know why this was necessary to add this option in AIX
    in ML10. have you ever come across this or are you a google
    searcher/poster..

    June Guest

  6. #6

    June Bug <com> wrote:
    JB> basically I wanted to know why this was necessary to add this
    JB> option in AIX in ML10.

    Presumably either because

    * it wasn't seen before (due to the fact that people hadn't
    been copying a large number of files > 32 KB until recently
    and/or hadn't been doing it on large non-large-file-enabled
    filesystems); or
    * a recent change in the JFS or in-memory filesystem caching
    implementation imposed this admittedly unpleasant and
    seemingly arbitrary limit.

    I suspect it was the first one, but I am not able to answer your
    question with perfect authority. Nevertheless, I think the explanation
    provided in the EXTRA DETAIL section of

    http://xrl.us/bdkl
    http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_umsgid=google.com

    is helpful if you're generally familiar with filesystems.

    Ultimately, the person who would be able to answer your question
    with absolute certainty is the guy or gal who implemented the fix
    at IBM in Austin.

    JB> have you ever come across this or are you a google searcher/poster..

    I responded to the thread in which the problem was first mentioned
    in this newsgroup, so I have seen it before, but not on any machine
    for which I am responsible.

    Regards,

    Nicholas