Professional Web Applications Themes

Chicken or Egg? - Photography

What is the point of digital photography? The reason I ask this question is because the more I read magazines covering the subject they appear to spend a lot of their time explaining how to improve the poor shot you got. This seemed some what strange as I have always believed that the objective of photography was to take a good shot in the first place - then improve on them. It has been my experience that the best digital images I have produced were based on photos that stood up on their own in the first place. Surely, we ...

  1. #1

    Default Chicken or Egg?

    What is the point of digital photography? The reason I ask this question is
    because the more I read magazines covering the subject they appear to spend
    a lot of their time explaining how to improve the poor shot you got. This
    seemed some what strange as I have always believed that the objective of
    photography was to take a good shot in the first place - then improve on
    them.

    It has been my experience that the best digital images I have produced were
    based on photos that stood up on their own in the first place. Surely, we
    should always strive to produce a good image first otherwise digital
    photography is really digital development?

    It is even stranger that so much energy seems to be put into improving
    ordinary images when one of the great benefits of digital cameras is the
    ability to edit as you go and discard the poor shot. This should improve
    the chance of producing the good image. This is also helped by the
    limitless number of images that could be taken on a modern memory card
    before it is downloaded on to a PC or Mac.

    Perhaps the point of digital photography is that it is a total process
    rather than being good with a camera and being good as film/picture
    developer/printer.

    So which does come first the digital image or digital manipulation?

    Simon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chicken or Egg?

    I think Sonys' current advertising answer that question. As with any camera,
    it doesn't matter how good the camera is it's the user that composes the
    picture... hence Sonys' ad, "5 million pixels but no eye for a good
    picture?"

    "Simon Marchini" <com> wrote in message
    is
    spend
    This
    were

    Canongirly Guest

  3. #3

    >Perhaps the point of digital photography is that it is a total process

    Having been in photography for 40+ years, always doing my own color and B&W
    processing, I don't see that anything has changed. Except, of course, doing
    all my work in a well lit room. Magazines have always presented articles on
    improving your work.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH
    ERich10983 Guest

  4. #4

    "Simon Marchini" <com> wrote in message
    is
    spend
    This

    There is deception in the current perceived difference with film shooters in
    this regard, though.

    Most print film images shot by the masses are NOT properly exposed at
    ll! -It's just that negative film has such latitude that the
    processor/developers can correct even GROSS mistakes made by snapshooters.
    With digital, you take this action YOURSELF if you mis the exposure.

    Print film has such latitude that people needn't worry much about nailing
    exposure. While the latitude in digital is there, it requires the same
    adjustment that print film does.

    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    "Simon Marchini" <com> wrote in message
    is
    spend
    This
    <snip>
    Same would be true of 35mm camera mags, and certainly was pre-digital
    (havent read a mag in years)

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed Guest

  6. #6

    Regardless, the point I was making is that the 35mm photo mags were always
    advocating this advice to everyone, not just pros, both before and after
    digital came along. And I do remember occasions when my 35mm film camera
    (EOS 3) was certainly used machine gun style (entire 36 exp roll of slide
    film on a wild bear cub in Jasper National Park last year for example, just
    to get one really good shot). Doesn't matter if you an amateur or pro, a one
    time shot is a one time shot for both. Personally I feel not much has
    actually changed over the years, except the convenience factor and the fact
    that digital is simply an improved machine gun thanks to not having to use
    film. The problem really isn't the camera, but that people need to learn to
    weed out the 1 truly good shot out of the other 50 similar ones they took.
    ;-)

    "Charlie Self" <combleah> wrote in message
     [/ref]

    Katie Guest

  7. #7

    >Simon Marchini wrote:
     [/ref]

    Hi,

    I am a late comer to this discussion but if you have to ask, stay with film.

    One of my mentors was a gentleman by the name of Sisson that had worked for 40
    years for National Geographic.
    He always told us - if you take one picture, that is your best picture. And you
    will miss the once in a lifetime combination of light, action, and focus that
    you might have had if you took 5, or 10, or 20.

    Also, if you have ever pointed your camera at a skitting wild animal and all of
    a sudden you are at the end of the roll and the rewind scares it off you would
    bless the fact that you can take 200 or more pictures with today's larger
    cards.
    When you are on a trip and know you will not be back, you can make sure that
    you have usable pictures before you depart. You can view them on the hotel's
    TV, or even on the LCD to get an idea.

    And you show me a film camera where you can change ISO on the fly, adjust white
    balance, etc.
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest