Professional Web Applications Themes

Choice of MTA - Debian

I don't want to start a flame war, but need some input in order to choose a mail transport agent. The ones of interest to me are primarily sendmail (I've used it for many years, but need a comparison), postfix (which I gather is readily configured to solve a problem I'm experiencing and was the direction I was inclined to go), and exim (which seems very popular among debianists, but don't know why). I know that qmail has also been popular. My aim is to use the MTA with rmail (emacs) and mutt in a text rather than gui environment ...

  1. #1

    Default Choice of MTA

    I don't want to start a flame war, but need some input in order to
    choose a mail transport agent. The ones of interest to me are
    primarily sendmail (I've used it for many years, but need a
    comparison), postfix (which I gather is readily configured to solve a
    problem I'm experiencing and was the direction I was inclined to go),
    and exim (which seems very popular among debianists, but don't know
    why). I know that qmail has also been popular.

    My aim is to use the MTA with rmail (emacs) and mutt in a text rather
    than gui environment on a standalone workstation. Stability, debian
    friendliness, straightforward configuration, and spam blocking are my
    principle concerns. The problem is that these parameters generally
    seem marginal to the choice of MTA, and so I'm left wondering which
    way to turn.

    Haines Brown

    Haines Brown Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Choice of MTA

    "Haines" == Haines Brown <brownhhartford-hwp.com> writes:

    Haines> I don't want to start a flame war, but need some input in
    Haines> order to choose a mail transport agent.

    A flame war you will start ;-)

    There was a recently (in the last week or so) a long, noisy thread on
    debian-devel about what the default Debian MTA should be. I'd
    recommend you go read the archives.

    Haines> many years, but need a comparison), postfix (which I
    Haines> gather is readily configured to solve a problem I'm

    It might help the quality of the replies you get if you told us what
    the specific problem was.

    Haines> My aim is to use the MTA with rmail (emacs) and mutt in a
    Haines> text rather than gui environment on a standalone

    This is not really a criteria for an MTA choice.

    Haines> workstation. Stability, debian friendliness,
    Haines> straightforward configuration, and spam blocking are my
    Haines> principle concerns. The problem is that these parameters
    Haines> generally seem marginal to the choice of MTA, and so I'm
    Haines> left wondering which way to turn.

    I can personally recommend that you go with exim first. It is
    relatively friendly, configurable (straightforward? I don't know that
    any MTA is that), Debian friendly, and known to be stable. The
    eximconfig program will set up exim correctly for most people most of
    the time.

    Cheers!
    Shyamal

    Shyamal Prasad Guest

  3. #3

    On 21 Jul 2003 08:27:02 -0500
    Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasadsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > I can personally recommend that you go with exim first. It is
    > relatively friendly, configurable (straightforward? I don't know that
    > any MTA is that), Debian friendly, and known to be stable. The
    > eximconfig program will set up exim correctly for most people most of
    > the time.
    Also with the sa-exim filter in place spam protection is superb.

    --
    Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
    PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
    | -- Lenny Nero - Strange Days

    Steve Lamb Guest