Professional Web Applications Themes

Chronic InDesign CS2 crashes - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have suddenly started experiencing chronic InDesign crashes. I am running version 4.0.4 on Mac OS 10.4.8 on a PowerMac Dual G5 3.5 GB of RAM. Checking my fonts and deactivating them, deleting preferences, a complete InDesign reinstall, recreation of a couple of my major doents from scratch and exporting the doents to .inx format and re-opening is still resulting in crashes. Admittedly, a single-page new doent doesn't seem to immediately crash IDCS2 but I have only had the patience to work in a test doent for so long. The Adobe Crash report has been providing a consistent crash log ...

Default Chronic InDesign CS2 crashes

I have suddenly started experiencing chronic InDesign crashes. I am running version 4.0.4 on Mac OS 10.4.8 on a PowerMac Dual G5 3.5 GB of RAM. Checking my fonts and deactivating them, deleting preferences, a complete InDesign reinstall, recreation of a couple of my major doents from scratch and exporting the doents to .inx format and re-opening is still resulting in crashes. Admittedly, a single-page new doent doesn't seem to immediately crash IDCS2 but I have only had the patience to work in a test doent for so long. The Adobe Crash report has been providing a consistent crash log I was hoping someone might be able to decipher it

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<crashreport version="1" applicationName="InDesign" applicationVersion="4040" build="4.0.4.658">
    <time year="2006" month="11" day="17" hour="11" minute="50" second="2" />
    <system platform="macintosh" osversion="10.4.8" ram="3584" machine="Power Macintosh" model="PowerMac7,2" cpuCount="2" cpuFreq="1800000000" busFreq="900000000" />
    <crash exception="Read Only Memory Exception" instruction="81830000">
    <backtrace crashedThread="0">
    <thread index="0">
    <stackStatement index="0" address="0x0d32d320" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="1" address="0x0d32dbe4" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="2" address="0x2c15aec8" symbolname="__ZNK11CWaxRunText4DrawEP12GraphicsDat allPK6PMRect"/>
    <stackStatement index="3" address="0x081e034c" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="4" address="0x0821fbe8" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="5" address="0x0822fbf0" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="6" address="0x0823073c" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="7" address="0x08237474" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="8" address="0x2c1951c4" symbolname="__ZN6CShape4DrawEP12GraphicsDatal"/>
    <stackStatement index="9" address="0x08152ad0" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="10" address="0x08153428" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="11" address="0x2c1951c4" symbolname="__ZN6CShape4DrawEP12GraphicsDatal"/>
    <stackStatement index="12" address="0x2c19438c" symbolname="__ZN6CShape13DrawHierarchyEP12Graphics Datal"/>
    <stackStatement index="13" address="0x2c198264" symbolname="__ZN18CGraphicFrameShape9DrawShapeEP12 GraphicsDatal"/>
    <stackStatement index="14" address="0x2c1951c4" symbolname="__ZN6CShape4DrawEP12GraphicsDatal"/>
    <stackStatement index="15" address="0x0f063438" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="16" address="0x09be6cc8" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="17" address="0x0f062848" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="18" address="0x0f0632f8" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="19" address="0x0dddcc34" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="20" address="0x0ddde574" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="21" address="0x0dddf290" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="22" address="0x07e36ee8" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
    <stackStatement index="23" address="0x0992d4e4" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="24" address="0x0992f79c" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="25" address="0x09930200" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="26" address="0x09931618" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="27" address="0x09933470" symbolname="___code_start__"/>
    <stackStatement index="28" address="0x08b295f0" symbolname="dyld_stub_binding_helper"/>
    <stackStatement index="29" address="0x2b0aa758" symbolname="__ZN10CDefaultEH13PlatformEventEP6IEve nt"/>
    <stackStatement index="30" address="0x2c1d4fb4" symbolname="__ZN16CEventDispatcher23DispatchToEven tHandlersEP6IEvent"/>
    <st
    Dean_Burchell@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Chronic InDesign CS2 crashes

does it crash in a new user.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

I am trying that today Of course it's not the solution I'd like if that's the issue! :)

your patience to wait and figure out the problem make take longer to just reinstall the app. I would still log the answer to your questions if somebody can dicifer the code so you can fix it more appropriatly without having to reinstall. i am sure if you reinstall this will take care of your problem. if it doesn't it sounds like your indcs2 is conflicting with something else running on your system. maybe a bad mem card?

After reading the crash report. it seems like a native or a 3rd party plug in is crashing your app. a reinstall should fix this.
    brian.dangel@adobeforums.com Guest

i am sure if you reinstall this will take care of your problem.

I believe Dean's original posting says that he did re-install - to no avail. However, unless you manually delete all traces of the original install, there may still be some residual preferences or other files that are causing the problem.

The easiest way to check this out is to follow Buko's advice, and try it when logged in as a newly-created user. If that works, then you know that something in your home directory is responsible.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

Yes, I noticed the plugin references as well. I still had crashes after removing my FontAgent plugin (even though I do not use auto-activation). The only other addition to the IDCS2 defaults are Adobe's plugins for InCopy.

Your question about the memory card is insightful as the problem initially was most likely related to a bad RAM chip. After the initial crashes I checked fonts and memory. One bank of RAM chips was producing errors when tested. After replacement the problem seemed solved but after a cautious day's work in a doent I crashed at the end of the day. The next day the crashes became more frequent and very unpredictable. I then chose to do a clean install yesterday afternoon of IDCS2 (manually removing all preferences and defaults) fine initially then 3 crashes after some time working in the doent.

Today I am trying the new user account. But per above, even though I have had time to test a new doc in a new user account and things seem OK at the moment I am not convinced until I get at least a couple days use out of the new account. I won't be back into a full production cycle until Monday.

I have assumed that the bad chips might have resulted in a corruption of IDCS2's files or the corruption of fonts. Note that other applications, Illustrator, Freehand (yes, I'm still using it), and Photoshop have been completely stable.

Back to plugins the only other issue I've had is I used a trial of a barcoding plugin a couple years ago. As a seemingly minor side-issue that I've only spent a little time exploring in the past has been that I can't seem to remove the file's reference to the plugin. Even when I create a new doent (after a reinstall of IDCS2) it seems even a copy and paste of items from my original doent brings over references to the plugin (I never really ended up using the plugin and do not have any bardcodes created with the plugin in any of the docs). This has only been an annoyance as IDCS2 always asks about the plugin when opening a doent. It's never seemed to cause any conflicts before.

Whew. Sorry, I realize I'm probably not presenting this clearly. I also know other readers may be thinking. Reinstall the OS, reinstall the font, Reinstall the apps. But I am quite proud of the stability of my G5. I haven't had a serious issues and would choose to fix the problem if possible instead of just choosing the reinstallation course something I have avoided on all of our production machines.

I guess a definitive understanding of the error log and if the "plugin" reference is even relevent will be my only true lead at this point. I appreciate the repsonses. And if a new user account solves the problem I guess I should be happy.

It sounds like you have figured out your own problem. This bar coding app is interfearing with the launch of indcs2. you need to go to the website that made the software and follow there uninstall instrucions. after fully uninstalled reinstall indcs2. if everytime you launch indcs2 you get the window asking you about something you don't have... sounds like a problem to me. good luck.
    brian.dangel@adobeforums.com Guest

The weird thing to me is that I would think a clean install should eradicate any and all plugins as a side effect. Theoretically, you'd have to reinstall any and all plugins in order to use them again. Unless they had some really weird copy protection!

At any rate, how long did you run your RAM test for and was it off the Apple Hardware Test CD or some other method? If it wasn't the Apple Hardware Test then you could try doing that if you still have the original CDs. Turn on looping and run it for 3 or 4 hours (or perhaps overnight if that is more convenient). Sometimes RAM errors are rather transient so if you only ran one pass with the tester and already found some bad RAM, it may be there is more bad RAM that just isn't showing on the first pass.

0-Put your 10.4 Install CD in the drive. Make sure it says it is the one with the Hardware Tester on it (Disc 1, iirc?)
    1-Reboot computer, hold down option key until you get the blue "Choose a Boot Volume" screen.
    2-Choose Hardware Test, which should be one of the options.
    3-After you get all the way to the Test screen, type control-L. Somewhere on the screen, the word "Looping" should appear.
    4-Start an Extended Test, turn off the monitor and leave it like that for a couple of hours minimum.
    5-When you get back, see if there were errors and use command-period to halt the test if there weren't. If there were, take note of the bank and the error code and call your RAM vendor to get replacement RAM shipped. Also, once you get the new RAM, repeat this procedure again. I *always* test RAM for at least a couple of hours. Also, I buy from a vendor that has a lifetime warranty with advanced shipping of the replacement modules.
    Eric_@_MCA@adobeforums.com Guest

Update:

As of this morning, the new doent within a new user account just crashed with the same error log as above (at least the first part). Is anyone else running 10.4.8 and FontAgent 3.3.0 (no autoactivation)? I am concerned that it may be OS related as InDesign seems to be the only problem app and I believe I had been running with the 4.0.4 IDCS2 update for some time.

As far as the RAM test. I ran a thorough test on my (new) RAM with MemTest (a front end to the Unix memory testing command). It passed. I'll try to dig up my Hardware test CD regardless.

I also have successfully removed the plugin on this new account and I'm not getting any warnings at this point so I'm confident the issues I'm having aren't related to that plug-in. It's just tempting to think it's a plug-in since the beginning of the crash log refers to "plug-in"

It's just tempting to think it's a plug-in since the beginning of the
    crash log refers to "plug-in"

Remember that the InDesign application is, in fact, largely a bunch of Adobe-developed plug-ins, so this might not mean much.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest