Professional Web Applications Themes

circular graduated neutral density filter - Photography

Hello, This was originally posted in rec.photo.digital last week, but was quickly buried in the incoming mail. I have a digital camera, so this should apply to any photographic newsgroup. The post: I'm thinging about buying a cheap ($16) circular graduated neutral density filter. I've been reading about them, and wanted to buy the square filters w/ holders, since they are obvioulsy superior in many ways. But for the sake of just trying one, is this a waste of money, or will I get some benefit. Since I have never used one, I thought this might be a B grade ...

  1. #1

    Default circular graduated neutral density filter

    Hello,

    This was originally posted in rec.photo.digital last week, but was
    quickly buried in the incoming mail. I have a digital camera, so this
    should apply to any photographic newsgroup.

    The post:

    I'm thinging about buying a cheap ($16) circular graduated neutral
    density filter. I've been reading about them, and wanted to buy the
    square filters w/ holders, since they are obvioulsy superior in many
    ways. But for the sake of just trying one, is this a waste of money,
    or will I get some benefit. Since I have never used one, I thought
    this might be a B grade start until I get the "real" ones.

    Thanks
    MOO112 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: circular graduated neutral density filter

    Apart from the quality issue, a circular ND Grad isn't very useful.
    The dividing line just isn't movable or adjustable, so you must adjust
    your composition to suit the filter. Note that putting the horizon in
    the middle of the frame, as you must for a circular ND Grad, is often
    not compositionally optimum.

    The Cokin filter system allows you to try out ND Grads with a minimal
    initial investment and good upgrade path. The Cokin ND Grads aren't
    very good, but there are several brands of really good filters to fit
    the larger Cokin P holder. The better ND grads are rectangular, not
    square, which allows you to slide them up and down in the holder to
    put the dividing line where YOU want it.

    You can start with an inexpensive Cokin "Gray" Grad (not really
    neutral in color) to see if you like the technique, and if you do like
    it, upgrade to better ND Grad filter(s).

    Lisa

    MOO112 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > This was originally posted in rec.photo.digital last week, but was
    > quickly buried in the incoming mail. I have a digital camera, so this
    > should apply to any photographic newsgroup.
    >
    > The post:
    >
    > I'm thinging about buying a cheap ($16) circular graduated neutral
    > density filter. I've been reading about them, and wanted to buy the
    > square filters w/ holders, since they are obvioulsy superior in many
    > ways. But for the sake of just trying one, is this a waste of money,
    > or will I get some benefit. Since I have never used one, I thought
    > this might be a B grade start until I get the "real" ones.
    >
    > Thanks
    Lisa Horton Guest

  3. #3

    I made the mistake of buying one of those, and now it is there in my bag to
    remind me of how stupid I was. It is not very wise to stock your bag with
    equipment that you are likely to grow out of. Instead, save your money and
    buy the best, once.

    Dave

    "MOO112" <MOO112AOL.COM> wrote in message
    news:12fd4016.0307141009.13ea78b9posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > This was originally posted in rec.photo.digital last week, but was
    > quickly buried in the incoming mail. I have a digital camera, so this
    > should apply to any photographic newsgroup.
    >
    > The post:
    >
    > I'm thinging about buying a cheap ($16) circular graduated neutral
    > density filter. I've been reading about them, and wanted to buy the
    > square filters w/ holders, since they are obvioulsy superior in many
    > ways. But for the sake of just trying one, is this a waste of money,
    > or will I get some benefit. Since I have never used one, I thought
    > this might be a B grade start until I get the "real" ones.
    >
    > Thanks

    Dave Guest