Professional Web Applications Themes

Clamshell iBook start up problems (no chime/display) - Mac Portable

Hi All I have a blueberry ibook (clamshell) I'm looking at for a friend. The problem I'm experiencing is that when the power button is pressed you can instantly hear both the hard drive and the cd rom drive begin to spin, but that's about it. There is no start up chime or any sign of life from the display. Both caps and number locks illuminate when pressed. I've tried the various reset procedures. Power management, reset the pram, open firmware, tried it without the keyboard connected and without the additional ram in the top slot but nothing, with the ...

  1. #1

    Default Clamshell iBook start up problems (no chime/display)

    Hi All

    I have a blueberry ibook (clamshell) I'm looking at for a friend.

    The problem I'm experiencing is that when the power button is pressed
    you can instantly hear both the hard drive and the cd rom drive begin
    to spin, but that's about it.

    There is no start up chime or any sign of life from the display.
    Both caps and number locks illuminate when pressed.

    I've tried the various reset procedures.
    Power management,
    reset the pram,
    open firmware,

    tried it without the keyboard connected and without the additional ram
    in the top slot
    but nothing,

    with the battery in and the power supply connected the outside of the
    power socket can be seen to glow both green and amber

    I have done a continuity test on the screen cables to rule out damage,

    So I'm now running out of ideas

    I'd heard mention of a reed switch that turns of the display when the
    lid is closed, if anyone know where its located i can try that

    otherwise any input would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tony
    A J Lawrence Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>, A J
    Lawrence <co.uk> wrote:

    It may just need a new PRAM battery.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  3. #3

    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    These iBooks do not have a PRAM battery. No idea what is wrong here,
    but that is not the problem in this case.

    Joe Heimann

    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    Le 19/09/03 20:05, dans oit.umass.edu, «Joe Heimann»
    <umass.edu> a écrit:

    > [/ref]

    > These iBooks do not have a PRAM battery. No idea what is wrong here,
    > but that is not the problem in this case.
    >
    > Joe Heimann
    >[/ref]
    interesting, can s.o. confirm (link to a page) that the original ibooks
    (clamshells or toilet seats) do not have a pram battery? my wife has the
    deluxe ed., is running 10.26, over 700ram, works GREAT, but I was thinking
    that the pram battery was going to go some day

    thanks

    DS

    Donald Guest

  5. #5

    Le 20/09/03 08:07, dans BB91BB58.219A2%com, «Donald
    Smith» <com> a écrit:

    >> These iBooks do not have a PRAM battery. No idea what is wrong here,
    >> but that is not the problem in this case.
    >>
    >> Joe Heimann
    >>[/ref]
    > interesting, can s.o. confirm (link to a page) that the original ibooks
    > (clamshells or toilet seats) do not have a pram battery? my wife has the
    > deluxe ed., is running 10.26, over 700ram, works GREAT, but I was thinking
    > that the pram battery was going to go some day
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > DS
    >[/ref]
    just found this on the web:

    This iBook does not have a PRAM battery. I think it uses a capacitor

    so if this is true, can one, with the ibook clamshell in sleep, take out the
    big battery that would be run down and put in another one (quickly!), my
    wife has two?

    Donald Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BB91BE17.21A00%com>, Donald Smith
    <com> wrote:

    > so if this is true, can one, with the ibook clamshell in sleep, take out the
    > big battery that would be run down and put in another one (quickly!), my
    > wife has two?[/ref]

    That will shut it down. You can change the battery while asleep only if
    it's plugged into a power supply. I remember that someone made a small
    battery pack thing eons ago for the first batch of Powerbooks that
    didn't have PRAM batteries just so you could change main batteries
    while away from home.
    Phyllis Guest