Professional Web Applications Themes

Clarify my understanding please - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:45 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:   Since you failed to mention what distribution you are talking about at all, go here http://www.gentoo.org to start and finish with your goal easily in on fell swoop....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Clarify my understanding please

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:45 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    Since you failed to mention what distribution you are talking about at
    all, go here http://www.gentoo.org to start and finish with your goal
    easily in on fell swoop.
    nunya Guest

  2. #2

    Default Clarify my understanding please

    Hi group, I have done lots of reading of postings and on sites but my
    tired old brain still doesn't get all of it. Am I correct in thinking
    that once I have all the applications that I want running, and have gone
    into all the scripts and commented out the stuff I don't want, that I can
    build a new kernel just for me and my box? Building that new kernel will
    be a "personalized" kernel just for the box that I have it running on.
    And forevermore (until I add or subtract something) the box will run
    happily ever after?

    TIA!

    Dave

    CWO4 Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:45 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    If you are re-compiling the kernel that came with your distribution,
    then yes, provided, of course, that you compile the kernel correctly.
    It won't do any harm if you eliminate all the drivers e.g. for the
    network cards that you don't have, or for the sound cards that you
    don't have.

    If you upgrade to a newer kernel though, some of your applications
    might stop working. For instance, some multi-threaded applications
    were not POSIX compliant, and they worked fine on a non NPTL kernel
    (new posix threads library). They no longer work on an NPTL kernel.
    There are workarounds though. Case in point: matlab.

    Silviu Guest

  4. #4

    "CWO4 Dave Mann" <spam.blocking.loveable.com> wrote in
    message news:teranews.com...

    You could , yes.

    But there isnt much reason to do that.
    Just get the lastest kernel for your distribution.

    (often distributions stop updating the kernel for the old versions ... at
    which times you have to learn to update the kernel yourself, or you upgrade
    the distribution to a later version ... )

    No. You would have to personalise it your self, which is getting more and
    more difficult.

    If you install a distributions kernel source package and 'make' it, then you
    would get the same configuration kernel that came in the distribution's
    kernel binary package!

    Well, if you have it running , then it should run 'ever after'... depending
    on care and feeding and hardware failure and hackers.

    Leon. Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:45 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    Thanks all who helped with info!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    CWO4 Guest

  6. #6

    "Leon." <noemail.com> wrote in message
    news:3fe78125$rivernet.com.au... [/ref]
    can

    > You could , yes.
    >
    > But there isnt much reason to do that.
    > Just get the lastest kernel for your distribution.
    >
    > (often distributions stop updating the kernel for the old versions ... at
    > which times you have to learn to update the kernel yourself, or you[/ref]
    upgrade

    Wise words. Listen to this man.

    There are maybe 4 reasons to want to build your own kernels.

    1: The same reason people bungee-jump. "Because they can."
    2: To integrate drivers not available with their default kernel (such as
    htree directory structures, ACPI, various crypto-modules, RAID drivers,
    GigaBit Ethernet, etc., which may not be fully integrated into the default
    kernel).
    3: Teenyness, to put the kernel on a bootable floppy or CD and shrink it
    to its minimum.
    4: Security. Some folks don't like loadable kernel modules and believe
    that the kernel should have all necessary modules built in from the start. I
    like to tell these people to walk around with all posible tools they will
    ever need haning from their belt, and then visit them in the hospital when
    they accidentally cut their femoral artery with the arc welder....

    > No. You would have to personalise it your self, which is getting more[/ref]
    and
    you

    Only if you use the "config" file they worked with. It's sometimes
    worthwhile to build such a new kernel with, for example, the NTFS modules
    enabled so you can read or, at considerable risk, *write* to an NTFS
    partition.

    > Well, if you have it running , then it should run 'ever after'...[/ref]
    depending

    Exactly. Hackers exist, and kernels have holes that get discovered, or you
    may want to add that cool new USB camera you didn't include the drivers for,
    or add htrees to handle a very populated directory such as a new server,
    etc.

    Nico Guest