Professional Web Applications Themes

Clean OSX install with mail recovery - Mac Programming

My wife's IBook running Jaguar has long been in need of a clean install due to a variety of problems. One of the more recent manifestations of problems is her mail application (normal client that comes with Jaguar) quits after spinning for about 5 minutes. My question - nothing about a clean install is particularly scary for me *except* for our ability to retain emails/mailboxes, etc. Granted, pulling this stuff in after a clean install could re-introduce whatever our problem is, but the importance of the email is such that we're willing to live with that risk. In order to ...

  1. #1

    Default Clean OSX install with mail recovery

    My wife's IBook running Jaguar has long been in need of a clean install
    due to a variety of problems. One of the more recent manifestations of
    problems is her mail application (normal client that comes with Jaguar)
    quits after spinning for about 5 minutes.

    My question - nothing about a clean install is particularly scary for me
    *except* for our ability to retain emails/mailboxes, etc. Granted,
    pulling this stuff in after a clean install could re-introduce whatever
    our problem is, but the importance of the email is such that we're
    willing to live with that risk.

    In order to get her mailbox structure and emails back do I need to do
    something at the unix level or is their an import mechanism within the
    mail client that I can use? Or might there be a utility for this type
    of thing? I'm reasonably unix savvy so working at that level with some
    basic instruction isn't too scary for me if that's what it boils down
    to.

    Thanks in advance,

    - Al
    Al Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Clean OSX install with mail recovery

    In article <MPG.1b0976d04ee7e1859897a6mayonews>,
    Al <bigfoot.com> wrote:

    Have you considered just backing up her files, and restoring them after
    the reinstall?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  3. #3

    In article <tph-AFB651.11485710052004localhost>,
    no.spam.dammit.net says...

    > Have you considered just backing up her files, and restoring them after
    > the reinstall?[/ref]

    That would be great, but via what mechanism? Is there a mechanism for
    doing so other than via a third party utility? I didn't know I could do
    that after a clean install - but if you're talking about doing so
    manually, how to do that for mail is the essence of my question. Feel
    free to point me at docs or an FAQ if this is a more involved response
    than you feel like dragging everybody through :-)

    Thanks,
    Al
    Al Guest

  4. #4

    In article <MPG.1b0976d04ee7e1859897a6mayonews>,
    Al <bigfoot.com> wrote:

    Mail allows to import old mailboxes ("File" menu), not only from Outlook
    etc. but also from Mail itself. Therefore, just make a backup copy of
    ~/Library/Mail, and after re-installing Jaguar, import the mailboxes
    from your backup copy. Watch out to import all mailboxes: the standard
    mailboxes "INBOX", "Drafts" and "Sent Messages" are located in different
    folders than your own mailboxes. Unfortunately the import function is
    extremely buggy and likely to crash. Nevertheless I was able to restore
    all my mails, it just needed a few attempts...

    Regards,
    Sven

    --------- please just ignore the following lines ---------
    http://www.easytype.ch/snail/spmt2.htm
    ch ch
    ch spmt26_AT_easytype_DOT_ch
    Sven Guest

  5. #5

    In article <MPG.1b0976d04ee7e1859897a6mayonews>, Al <bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    1. Back up the system
    2. Run Mac OS X installer
    3. Choose Archive & Install from options

    This will clean-install the OS while preserving all user prefs.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  6. #6

    Al <bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b098074de9d96ef9897a7mayonews>...

    > > Have you considered just backing up her files, and restoring them after
    > > the reinstall?[/ref]
    >
    > That would be great, but via what mechanism? Is there a mechanism for
    > doing so other than via a third party utility? I didn't know I could do
    > that after a clean install - but if you're talking about doing so
    > manually, how to do that for mail is the essence of my question. Feel
    > free to point me at docs or an FAQ if this is a more involved response
    > than you feel like dragging everybody through :-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al[/ref]

    Do you have another Mac with some disk space ? If you do you can
    boot up the iBook in FIREWIRE mode (hold down the T key as you boot)
    then you can connect her Mac via a Firewire cable to the other and it
    appears as a disk drive on the regular Mac.

    Now what to do if you have sufficient space you can just copy you
    wife's whole directory over to the other machine. If you just want
    the mail just the directory ~/Library/Mail is enough. Also you should
    copy anything that else off the machine that Apple does not install
    (i.e. 3 party programs and other stuff).

    Now you can do a clean install and then create all the users you had
    before. Then you can copy the files you put on the other Mac back to
    your wife's account.

    --jim
    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    Al wrote:

    Not really a programming question, but the simplest way to save your
    mail is to copy ~/Library/Mail and
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist somewhere, reinstall, and
    then copy them back. No Unix necessary; you can do it from the Finder.

    Peter Guest

  8. #8

    In article <c7rnr3$t90$apple.com>, com
    says...

    > Not really a programming question, but the simplest way to save your
    > mail is to copy ~/Library/Mail and
    > ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist somewhere, reinstall, and
    > then copy them back. No Unix necessary; you can do it from the Finder.[/ref]

    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The reason I asked the question
    here was that I thought there was a possibility that programming would
    be involved.

    - Al
    Al Guest

  9. #9

    In article <MPG.1b0be2356142bdba9897a9mayonews>, Al <bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    > > Not really a programming question, but the simplest way to save your mail
    > > is to copy ~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    > > somewhere, reinstall, and then copy them back. No Unix necessary; you can
    > > do it from the Finder.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The reason I asked the question here
    > was that I thought there was a possibility that programming would be
    > involved.[/ref]

    That's not what you are looking for. You are looking for the Archive & Install
    option in the Mac OS X installer.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  10. #10

    In article <mit.edu>,
    org says...

    > > Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The reason I asked the question here
    > > was that I thought there was a possibility that programming would be
    > > involved.[/ref]
    >
    > That's not what you are looking for. You are looking for the Archive & Install
    > option in the Mac OS X installer.
    >
    > meeroh[/ref]

    Yes, that's what I *need* but not necessarily what I was looking for
    when I asked the question, because I didn't know any better :-) I
    appreciate you pointing it out.

    Thanks,
    Al
    Al Guest