Professional Web Applications Themes

Cleaning fungus from 35mm slides - Photography

Has anyone else seen a fungus on their slides? I have 6-7 rolls of slide film (Kodak, Kodachrome 64) that I shot back in 1984. They slides were stored in the carousel's I use with the projector. (My bad.) Recently I dug up the slides and decided to scan them into my computer for archive and enhancement. Much to my surprise, what looked fine when projected on a wall or screen, actually had a fine blue & green grit covering the entire slide which was picked up by my scanner. (HP_Scanjet 5370C with transparency adapter.) I called Kodak customer support ...

  1. #1

    Default Cleaning fungus from 35mm slides

    Has anyone else seen a fungus on their slides?

    I have 6-7 rolls of slide film (Kodak, Kodachrome 64) that I shot back
    in 1984. They slides were stored in the carousel's I use with the
    projector. (My bad.) Recently I dug up the slides and decided to scan
    them into my computer for archive and enhancement. Much to my surprise,
    what looked fine when projected on a wall or screen, actually had a fine
    blue & green grit covering the entire slide which was picked up by my
    scanner. (HP_Scanjet 5370C with transparency adapter.) I called Kodak
    customer support and they have told me that Kodachrome from that period
    in time was highly susceptible to growing a fungus, which is what I am
    seeing in my scanned images. The suggestion was to use a strong
    Isopropyl solution and a cotton ball to clean. Haven't found anything
    stronger than rubbing alcohol which is about a 4% solution. I've tried
    using PEC-12, a film cleaning solution and haven't seen much of an
    improvement.

    Besides recreating the trip, any other suggestions on dealing with this
    problem?

    Clicker Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cleaning fungus from 35mm slides

    Re: "...
    Haven't found anything
    stronger than rubbing alcohol which is about a 4% solution.
    ...."
    Unless I'm sadly mistaken, I've got a 16 oz bottle labeled "99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol"
    on the shelf ... from Long's Drug Store! I got it about a month ago, and it only cost a
    couple of bucks. IIRC they had three varieties of "Rubbing Alcohol ... 77%, 90% and 99%
    .... on the shelf that day.

    It has the number "NCD 12333-9804-1" on the label, and the bar code label is
    3 12333 98041 7

    "...
    I've tried
    using PEC-12, a film cleaning solution and haven't seen much of an
    improvement.
    ...."

    PEC-12 is a good product. It may not be able to do anything with the mold because the mold
    has actually eaten into the film surface. If so ... you are probably limited to what you
    can do with PhotoShop (or equivalent).

    "Clicker" <""vze22nn5\"net> wrote in message

    RSD99 Guest

  3. #3

    Usually removing fungus from a slide leaves clear spots - the fungus has
    eaten the original emulsion. The best thing to do is either scan with ICE or
    remove the spots in Photoshop after scanning. Usually it takes a combination
    of the two if the fungus is very bad.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Clicker" <""vze22nn5\"net> wrote in message

    Tony Guest

  4. #4

    "Clicker" <""vze22nn5\"net> wrote in message
    Don't know if it would help, but Rite Aid has a 70% rubbing alcohol that's
    Ethyl alcohol. it's their product # 11822-31386, and it comes in a 1 pint
    bottle. I use it to clean my trumpet, because the smell of isopropyl alcohol
    makes me sick

    William Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 02:42:43 GMT, "William Graham" <net>
    wrote:

    >Don't know if it would help, but Rite Aid has a 70% rubbing alcohol that's
    >Ethyl alcohol. it's their product # 11822-31386, and it comes in a 1 pint
    >bottle. I use it to clean my trumpet, because the smell of isopropyl alcohol
    >makes me sick
    >[/ref]
    If you bought it at Rite Aid, there's little doubt it contains
    denaturant additives. If you are concerned about this try a liquor
    store and buy a jug of grain alcohol ("Everclear" brand). It's 95
    percent ethyl alcohol.
    KBob Guest

  6. #6

    "KBob" <net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    fine
    > >Don't know if it would help, but Rite Aid has a 70% rubbing alcohol[/ref][/ref]
    that's [/ref]
    alcohol
    > If you bought it at Rite Aid, there's little doubt it contains
    > denaturant additives. If you are concerned about this try a liquor
    > store and buy a jug of grain alcohol ("Everclear" brand). It's 95
    > percent ethyl alcohol.[/ref]

    You are probably right, but I don't drink it, but just use it to clean my
    trumpet with......I don't know whether the denaturing additives would hurt
    film or not....I would test anything I bought on a throw-away slide first in
    any case.....

    William Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks all for the suggestions. Seems I may have gotten a little mixed
    up with the percentage. I've seen an ad for ICE to be used with the
    scanning. Isn't that a plug-in for Photoshop? It might actually be
    cheaper for me to buy a plane ticket back to Hawaii and shot again. I've
    got family there so, hotel is cheap.

    Thanks again.

    William Graham wrote: [/ref]
    > fine

    >>[/ref]
    > that's

    >>[/ref]
    > alcohol

    >>If you bought it at Rite Aid, there's little doubt it contains
    >>denaturant additives. If you are concerned about this try a liquor
    >>store and buy a jug of grain alcohol ("Everclear" brand). It's 95
    >>percent ethyl alcohol.[/ref]
    >

    > You are probably right, but I don't drink it, but just use it to clean my
    > trumpet with......I don't know whether the denaturing additives would hurt
    > film or not....I would test anything I bought on a throw-away slide first in
    > any case.....
    >
    >[/ref]

    Clicker Guest