Professional Web Applications Themes

Clearing Arrays - PERL Beginners

Hi All I have this little memory blockage again. If I 'push' data from a database into an array to look/manipulate the data and then using the same array name, 'push' data into the array from another database, the data from the second DB file is added to the data of the first. How can I clear the first lot of data and start a fresh with an empty array ?? Cheers Colin (from the future) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [url]www.rentmyplace.co.nz[/url] The ultimate in that holiday spot away from the maddening crowd Join as a member today its FREE List your holiday accommodation ...

  1. #1

    Default Clearing Arrays

    Hi All
    I have this little memory blockage again.
    If I 'push' data from a database into an array to look/manipulate the data
    and then using the same array name, 'push' data into the array from another
    database, the data from the second DB file is added to the data of the
    first. How can I clear the first lot of data and start a fresh with an
    empty array ??
    Cheers
    Colin (from the future)

    [url]www.rentmyplace.co.nz[/url]
    The ultimate in that holiday spot away from the maddening crowd
    Join as a member today its FREE
    List your holiday accommodation for FREE

    Support Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Clearing Arrays

    Colin (Support) wrote:

    > I have this little memory blockage again.
    > If I 'push' data from a database into an array to look/manipulate the data
    > and then using the same array name, 'push' data into the array from another
    > database, the data from the second DB file is added to the data of the
    > first. How can I clear the first lot of data and start a fresh with an
    > empty array ??
    Hi Colin.

    Use

    array = ();

    or

    undef array;

    (I like the easy ones!)

    Cheers,

    Rob

    Rob Dixon Guest

  3. #3

    Support wrote:
    > Hi All
    > I have this little memory blockage again.
    > If I 'push' data from a database into an array to look/manipulate the
    > data and then using the same array name, 'push' data into the array from
    > another database, the data from the second DB file is added to the data
    > of the first. How can I clear the first lot of data and start a fresh
    > with an empty array ??
    > Cheers
    > Colin (from the future)

    I dont think you should use this newsgroup inlieu of a perl book.
    Please considering buying a good perl book and read about 'arrays' ,
    'my' etc.

    Ram

    Ramprasad A Padmanabhan Guest

  4. #4

    I thought this newsgroup was for beginners!!!!!

    Ramprasad A
    Padmanabhan To: [email]beginnersperl.org[/email], [email]supportemlgroup.co.nz[/email]
    <ramprasadnetcor cc:
    e.co.in> Subject: Re: Clearing Arrays

    13/01/2004 10:37

    Support wrote:
    > Hi All
    > I have this little memory blockage again.
    > If I 'push' data from a database into an array to look/manipulate the
    > data and then using the same array name, 'push' data into the array from
    > another database, the data from the second DB file is added to the data
    > of the first. How can I clear the first lot of data and start a fresh
    > with an empty array ??
    > Cheers
    > Colin (from the future)

    I dont think you should use this newsgroup inlieu of a perl book.
    Please considering buying a good perl book and read about 'arrays' ,
    'my' etc.

    Ram

    For additional commands, e-mail: [email]beginners-helpperl.org[/email]

    ********************
    IMPORTANT NOTICE This email (including any attachments) is meant only for the intended recipient. It may also contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any reliance on, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this message by mistake and delete the email and all attachments.

    Any views or opinions in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Trinity Mirror PLC or its associated group companies (hereinafter referred to as "TM Group"). TM Group accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Although every reasonable effort is made to keep its network free from viruses, TM Group accept no liability for any virus transmitted by this email or any attachments and the recipient should use up-to-date virus checking software. Email to or from this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

    Trinity Mirror PLC is the parent company of the Trinity Mirror group of companies and is registered in England No 82548, with its address at One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.
    ********************
    Neill Taylor Guest

  5. #5

    I have read several perl books and that is a legitimate question. Why have a
    resource like this list if your going persuade people not to use it. I have
    ever seen this question asked.

    array = (); # empty array

    Now it wouldn't hurt to check out learning perl or programming perl at
    [url]http://safari.oreilly.com[/url]

    HTH,

    Paul Kraus
    -----------------------
    PEL Supply Company
    Network Administrator

    Paul Kraus Guest

  6. #6

    Hi
    I do not want to continue this thread to bag other users, but I do have a
    number or perl books and it did take me some time to find out how to clear
    an array. From the replies I got (and I thank those who did reply)
    confirmed I was using ' array=()' correctly. In the end, I found the
    problem that was giving me grief. This is a good forum to subscribe to. I
    save all my emails into a database (1,000s so far) so I can search back if
    I have a problem.
    I did not find any reference to clearing arrays, hence my question to this
    forum.
    Cheers
    Colin

    [url]www.rentmyplace.co.nz[/url]
    The ultimate in that holiday spot away from the maddening crowd
    Join as a member today its FREE
    List your holiday accommodation for FREE

    Support Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Support wrote:
    > confirmed I was using ' array=()' correctly. In the end, I found the
    > problem that was giving me grief. This is a good forum to subscribe to. I
    > save all my emails into a database (1,000s so far) so I can search back if
    > I have a problem.

    If you have access to a news browser, you can go to nntp.perl.org and
    subscribe to this group. There is >20000 posts there

    If you have access to a browser, you can search google groups
    perl.beginners

    Also newsgroup comp.lang.perl.misc is worthy of subscription as are a few
    other perl groups depending on your interests

    Its all out there

    Owen

    Owen Cook Guest

  8. #8

    Support wrote:
    > Hi
    > I do not want to continue this thread to bag other users, but I do have a
    > number or perl books and it did take me some time to find out how to clear
    > an array. From the replies I got (and I thank those who did reply)
    > confirmed I was using ' array=()' correctly. In the end, I found the
    > problem that was giving me grief. This is a good forum to subscribe to. I
    > save all my emails into a database (1,000s so far) so I can search back if
    > I have a problem.
    > I did not find any reference to clearing arrays, hence my question to this
    > forum.
    > Cheers
    > Colin
    Great! Thanks for hanging in there. Although I do think it is legimate, and ulimately more
    helpful, to remind people that they are responsible for their learning process, I saw your question
    as a very legitimate one about one of the primary distinctuishing characteristics of the Perl
    language.

    Joseph

    R. Joseph Newton Guest

  9. #9

    Colin wrote:
    > subscribe to. I save all my emails into a database (1,000s so far) so
    > I can search back if I have a problem. I did not find any reference to

    The link for this list's archives is
    [url]http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.beginners/[/url]
    Chris Mortimore Guest