Professional Web Applications Themes

Client Handling - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Experts please advise. We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web. The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year. Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common database and data in each client's database. Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Client Handling

    Experts please advise.
    We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web.
    The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year.
    Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common database
    and data in each client's database.
    Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle?

    Thanks

    sunil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Client Handling

    32,767 per instance of sql server. If you put all the sp's into a common
    db then how would you address the correct database?

    --

    Andrew J. Kelly
    SQL Server MVP

    "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > Experts please advise.
    > We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web.
    > The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year.
    > Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common database
    > and data in each client's database.
    > Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle?
    >
    > Thanks

    Andrew J. Kelly Guest

  3. #3

    There is a limit to the number of databases on a SQL Server instance, and
    that is 32,767. You can also run 16 instances of SQL Server 2000 on 1
    physical server.

    It is not really a good idea to have all the stored procedures in one
    database. One of the advantages of using a separate database for each
    customer is that it is more secure (something your clients will probably be
    interested in), and it will also perform better.

    "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > Experts please advise.
    > We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web.
    > The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year.
    > Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common database
    > and data in each client's database.
    > Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle?
    >
    > Thanks

    Jacco Schalkwijk Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the reply Andrew,
    Yes, i cannot address the correct db.

    Here is the complete scenario.
    Our web-based product will be used by several clients through out the year.
    like an account management software.
    This product will not customizable to any client. and we do all the updates
    to it.

    Each client may enter upto 20MB Max data each year. It scares me to keep
    their data in single table.
    Need experts advise in achieving this.

    Thanks

    "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospamshadhawk.com> wrote in message
    > 32,767 per instance of sql server. If you put all the sp's into a common
    > db then how would you address the correct database?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Andrew J. Kelly
    > SQL Server MVP
    >

    > "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > > Experts please advise.
    > > We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web.
    > > The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year.
    > > Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common
    database
    > > and data in each client's database.
    > > Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    sunil Guest

  5. #5

    You might want to seriously think about hiring a consultant to help you
    along with this. If your asking these types of questions you won't be able
    to get the kind of knowledge you will need to create an effective app and db
    from the newsgroups alone. You would save yourself a lot of aggravation and
    money if it's done correctly the first time.

    --

    > Thanks for the reply Andrew,
    > Yes, i cannot address the correct db.
    >
    > Here is the complete scenario.
    > Our web-based product will be used by several clients through out the
    year.
    > like an account management software.
    > This product will not customizable to any client. and we do all the
    updates
    > to it.
    >
    > Each client may enter upto 20MB Max data each year. It scares me to keep
    > their data in single table.
    > Need experts advise in achieving this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospamshadhawk.com> wrote in message
    > > 32,767 per instance of sql server. If you put all the sp's into a
    common
    > > db then how would you address the correct database?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Andrew J. Kelly
    > > SQL Server MVP
    > >

    > > "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > > > Experts please advise.
    > > > We are expecting around 100 clients to use our product on web.
    > > > The data for each client will be around 20MB max each year.
    > > > Is this a wise approach to keep all stored procedures in a common
    > database
    > > > and data in each client's database.
    > > > Also is there a limit on number of databases SQL Server handle?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    Andrew J. Kelly Guest

  6. #6

    I agree with you. I was just looking
    whether there were any standard approachs for this kind of problem.
    Thansk a lot for your advise.

    > You might want to seriously think about hiring a consultant to help you
    > along with this. If your asking these types of questions you won't be
    able
    > to get the kind of knowledge you will need to create an effective app and
    db
    > from the newsgroups alone. You would save yourself a lot of aggravation
    and
    > money if it's done correctly the first time.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Andrew J. Kelly
    > SQL Server MVP
    >

    > "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply Andrew,
    > > Yes, i cannot address the correct db.
    > >
    > > Here is the complete scenario.
    > > Our web-based product will be used by several clients through out the
    > year.
    > > like an account management software.
    > > This product will not customizable to any client. and we do all the
    > updates
    > > to it.
    > >
    > > Each client may enter upto 20MB Max data each year. It scares me to keep
    > > their data in single table.
    > > Need experts advise in achieving this.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospamshadhawk.com> wrote in message
    > > > 32,767 per instance of sql server. If you put all the sp's into a
    > common
    > > > db then how would you address the correct database?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Andrew J. Kelly
    > > > SQL Server MVP
    > > >

    > > > "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > > database

    sunil Guest

  7. #7

    Not really, it depends a lot on your situation and business requirements as
    to how to approach it.

    --

    > I agree with you. I was just looking
    > whether there were any standard approachs for this kind of problem.
    > Thansk a lot for your advise.
    >
    > "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospamshadhawk.com> wrote in message
    > > You might want to seriously think about hiring a consultant to help you
    > > along with this. If your asking these types of questions you won't be
    > able
    > > to get the kind of knowledge you will need to create an effective app
    and
    > db
    > > from the newsgroups alone. You would save yourself a lot of aggravation
    > and
    > > money if it's done correctly the first time.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Andrew J. Kelly
    > > SQL Server MVP
    > >

    > > "sunil" <sunil_godiyal> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the reply Andrew,
    > > > Yes, i cannot address the correct db.
    > > >
    > > > Here is the complete scenario.
    > > > Our web-based product will be used by several clients through out the
    > > year.
    > > > like an account management software.
    > > > This product will not customizable to any client. and we do all the
    > > updates
    > > > to it.
    > > >
    > > > Each client may enter upto 20MB Max data each year. It scares me to
    keep
    > > > their data in single table.
    > > > Need experts advise in achieving this.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospamshadhawk.com> wrote in message
    > > common

    > > > database

    Andrew J. Kelly Guest