:confused;We have recently upgraded our web servers to Coldfusion MX 7.1. At
the time of this writing, we still can not get flash forms to work on the one
server (see previous topic: Clock Mouse Pointer) but that is a different issue.
We upgraded to 7.1 mainly for the flash forms, specifically the grid control.
However, I am having a real tough time understanding them. What I am stuck on
is client side validation. When working with Coldfusion MX 6, I did not use the
cfform tag because I wanted to use my own javascript form validation function.
Now, if we want to use flash forms, I need to use the cfform tag. Please review
my code snippet below, which works perfectly fine but does not yet perform any

<cfif IsDefined("Form.fieldnames")>
<cfgridupdate datasource="datasourcename" grid="cfform_grid"
tablename="atblCFFORM" keyonly="yes">
<cfelse>
<cfquery datasource="HNLSQL01_HNLForms" name="qCFFORM">
SELECT TOP 10 * FROM atblCFFORM ORDER By PatientName
</cfquery>

<cfform name="frmForm" action="formtest.cfm" format="flash" method="post">
<cfgrid name="cfform_grid" height=325 width=325 vspace=10
selectmode="edit" insert="Yes" delete="Yes"
maxrows="10" format="flash"
query="qCFFORM">
<cfgridcolumn name="RowID" display="no">
<cfgridcolumn name="Name" header="Patient Name" width=100
headeralign="center" headerbold="Yes" select="Yes">
<cfgridcolumn name="Test" header="Test" width="100" headeralign="center"
headerbold="yes" select="yes">
<cfgridcolumn name="Room" header="Room Number" width="100"
headeralign="center" headerbold="yes" select="yes">
</cfgrid>
<cfinput type="submit" name="btnSubmit" value="Submit">
</cfform>
</cfif>

1. How do I modify the cfinput type=submit button to be a cfinput type=button
that calls a javascript validation function from the onclick event? I have
tried <cfinput type="button" name="btnSubmit" value="Submit"
onclick="checkform"> but the form does not load at all when I try this. I have
changed the function call to checkform(), checkform(); and javascript:
checkform(); and nothing works. If I add a simple alert box to the onclick
event, it works, but a call to a javascript function does not? Is there a
different (better) way to validate the form? I even tried changing the grid to
an applet and then used the onvalidate event but I couldn't get that to work
either.
2. If I can get to javascript, how would I refer to the values in the
cfgridcolumns? I have tried doent.frmForm.cfform_grid.Name.value and
doent.frmForm.cfform_grid.Name[1].value but I get a javascript error each
time.

Please help me attain client side validation with the cfgrid control on a
flash form!