Professional Web Applications Themes

client-to-client communication via SOAP - ASP.NET Web Services

I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a .NET web service. This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear to me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information and files with the ...

  1. #1

    Default client-to-client communication via SOAP

    I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in
    which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of
    binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The
    applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle
    registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a
    ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a .NET
    web service.

    This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear to
    me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information and
    files with the server. My question is how to enable clients to send objects
    directly between one another? Can .NET web services be utilized for this
    kind of peer-to-peer communication?

    As I understand it, there is a potential problem with the use of web
    services for peer-to-peer communication: Each client would have to have a
    ..asmx web service running on IIS. But many (if not most) clients will not
    have IIS available for security reasons. Perhaps I'm asking a niave
    question here, but can SOAP messages be exchanged between clients(preferable
    via http to help overcome firewall challenges) without utilizing IIS on the
    clients?

    Finally, if anyone can recommend a good article on peer-to-peer
    communication between clients (without the use of IIS on the clients) I
    would appreciate that. I prefer samples in C#.

    Thanks,
    -- Bruce

    Bruce Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: client-to-client communication via SOAP

    Bruce wrote:
    > I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in
    > which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of
    > binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The
    > applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle
    > registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a
    > ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a .NET
    > web service.
    >
    > This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear to
    > me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information and
    > files with the server. My question is how to enable clients to send objects
    > directly between one another? Can .NET web services be utilized for this
    > kind of peer-to-peer communication?
    Nice application. It's a sort of KDX :)
    > As I understand it, there is a potential problem with the use of web
    > services for peer-to-peer communication: Each client would have to have a
    > ..asmx web service running on IIS. But many (if not most) clients will not
    > have IIS available for security reasons. Perhaps I'm asking a niave
    > question here, but can SOAP messages be exchanged between clients(preferable
    > via http to help overcome firewall challenges) without utilizing IIS on the
    > clients?
    Why do the clients need an IIS server if they use a WinForm ? The
    WinForm only consums the WebService which is on the server, no ?
    > Finally, if anyone can recommend a good article on peer-to-peer
    > communication between clients (without the use of IIS on the clients) I
    > would appreciate that. I prefer samples in C#.
    If you find samples, can you post them here ?
    Thanks.

    --
    Delf
    Delf Guest

  3. #3

    The clients indeed consume a web service from the server. But in addition,
    they need to be able to pass objects between one another. At any point in
    time after authentication from the server, I hope to have the clients pass
    objects between one another independent of the server. This later step is
    where I need help.

    Any recommendations?

    -- Bruce

    "Delf" <abusewanadoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Bruce wrote:
    >
    >> I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in
    >> which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of
    >> binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The
    >> applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle
    >> registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a
    >> ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a
    >> .NET web service.
    >>
    >> This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear
    >> to me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information
    >> and files with the server. My question is how to enable clients to send
    >> objects directly between one another? Can .NET web services be utilized
    >> for this kind of peer-to-peer communication?
    >
    > Nice application. It's a sort of KDX :)
    >
    >> As I understand it, there is a potential problem with the use of web
    >> services for peer-to-peer communication: Each client would have to have
    >> a ..asmx web service running on IIS. But many (if not most) clients will
    >> not have IIS available for security reasons. Perhaps I'm asking a niave
    >> question here, but can SOAP messages be exchanged between
    >> clients(preferable via http to help overcome firewall challenges) without
    >> utilizing IIS on the clients?
    >
    > Why do the clients need an IIS server if they use a WinForm ? The WinForm
    > only consums the WebService which is on the server, no ?
    >
    >> Finally, if anyone can recommend a good article on peer-to-peer
    >> communication between clients (without the use of IIS on the clients) I
    >> would appreciate that. I prefer samples in C#.
    >
    > If you find samples, can you post them here ?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Delf

    Bruce Guest

  4. #4

    I am in the intial stage of architecting and building an application in
    which each client running the application will occasionally send a set of
    binary files to other "peers" running the same application. The
    applications will be managed centrally via a server which will handle
    registration and authorization/authentication. The cient app will be a
    ..NET Windows Forms application, and the server will be accessed via a .NET
    web service.

    This is my first significant experience with web services. It is clear to
    me how to wire the clients to access the server and trade information and
    files with the server. My question is how to enable clients to send objects
    directly between one another? Can .NET web services be utilized for this
    kind of peer-to-peer communication?

    From what I understand so far, there is a problem with the use of web
    services for peer-to-peer communication between clients (independant of the
    server): Each client would have to have an .asmx web service running on IIS
    to enable it to "serve" content to a peer which placed a request. But many
    (if not most) clients will not have IIS available for security reasons.
    Bottom line question: can SOAP messages be exchanged between clients

  5. #5

    Hello Bruce,

    For Peer-to-peer communication, I would like recommend TCP, MSMQ or
    remoting in .NET instead of web service. Web service is based on
    request&response. One client will send a request(message) to the server,
    but another client won't recieve it until it also send a request to the
    server.

    Here is a sample about TCP:

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/[/url]
    frlrfsystemnetsocketstcplistenerclasstopic.asp
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/[/url]
    frlrfsystemnetsocketstcpclientclasstopic.asp

    Here is a sample about remoting:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q307739[/url]

    Hope this help,

    Luke