Professional Web Applications Themes

Client Vars Repeatedly Fill Up Designated DB - Coldfusion Server Administration

I am experiencing an issue with my ColdFusion websites in which client variables are suddenly filling up the designated database each day. I have looked and cannot find an explanation for it anywhere. It began last week when the sites started displaying 'client variables cannot be found' type errors, which prevented users from accessing certain areas that use client variables. It turns out that during a reinstallation over the summer, web hosting did not set the client variable storage option to the designated SQL Server database that had been used up until then; instead, they used the registry and it ...

  1. #1

    Default Client Vars Repeatedly Fill Up Designated DB

    I am experiencing an issue with my ColdFusion websites in which client
    variables are suddenly filling up the designated database each day. I have
    looked and cannot find an explanation for it anywhere.

    It began last week when the sites started displaying 'client variables cannot
    be found' type errors, which prevented users from accessing certain areas that
    use client variables. It turns out that during a reinstallation over the
    summer, web hosting did not set the client variable storage option to the
    designated SQL Server database that had been used up until then; instead, they
    used the registry and it filled up. We reset this option to the database and
    this appeared to fix the problem for a little while.

    Shortly after, ColdFusion filled up the allotted space of 10MBs. The
    functionality of the websites improved, but every page of every ColdFusion
    website displayed (and still displays) the error below.

    Operation failed on the data source.
    Reason of failure "[Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer] Could not
    allocate space for object 'CGLOBAL' in database...because the 'PRIMARY'
    filegroup is full."

    So the database was enlarged to 20, and then to 30MBs, but it was always
    filled within an hour or two.

    On closer inspection of the CGLOBAL table, it looks like ColdFusion is adding
    new client variable records for every page request. There are records for
    almost every minute of the day, and during one particular minute, 44 records
    were added. Almost 30,000 records were added within a day. This all seems
    highly unusual as client variables are only set in a couple of places on these
    sites and there's not that much traffic. Also, in the Data field, lastvisit and
    timecreated are always the same, and the hitcount is always 2.

    Because these websites are hosted, I have limited access. (Web hosting has no
    idea what the problem is.) I currently cannot access the ColdFusion
    Administrator or the Windows Event logs, but I can view the ColdFusion log and
    the client variables database. (I did not see anything in the CFMX logs that
    would explain what happened.) I believe the "Disable global client variable
    updates" has not been checked and the MIB component is not installed. I was
    told that the CFGLOBAL and CFDATA tables were dropped and recreated to no
    avail, but I do not know if the tables were recreated by the ColdFusion
    Administrator.

    Specs: ColdFusion MX 6.1 (no updates, I believe), Windows NT server and a SQL
    Server 2000 database.
    As far as I know, nothing new has been installed or changed recently, although
    it certainly seems like something happened. We will be migrating soon to a new
    Windows server with CFMX 7, but we need this installation to work for a few
    more weeks.

    I?m planning to recommend that they apply the 6.1 updater and hotfix (technote
    19590), but I?m not sure if this will actually fix it. I?d like to understand
    what the problem actually is first. Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance for
    your help!

    Fletch702 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Client Vars Repeatedly Fill Up Designated DB

    There is a hot fix for client variables. See [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18515[/url] to verify which build you are on.

    Ted Zimmerman
    tzimmerman Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your response, Ted. I did recommend that web hosting apply the
    client variables hotfix (I am currently waiting for them to do so), but seeing
    as ColdFusion appears to be adding records to the client variables database for
    each page request, not updating them as described in the hotfix, I'm not sure
    that this will be the fix.

    Fletch702 Guest