Professional Web Applications Themes

Client wants to use PluginLab for site - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

I've designed and maintained a web site for a client for years. They are a windows shop and I design using a Mac. Never an issue in the past. however, my client recently bought and started messing around with PluginLab. he likes it and wants me to redesign the web site's navigation with horizontal flyout menus. Problem is he's played around with it enough and wants me to use the work he's already done. PluginLab doesn't work with Dreamweaver (Mac). What should I do? I've tried out Pop Menu Magic and like it, but it isn't quite as versatile as ...

  1. #1

    Default Client wants to use PluginLab for site

    I've designed and maintained a web site for a client for years. They are a
    windows shop and I design using a Mac. Never an issue in the past. however,
    my client recently bought and started messing around with PluginLab. he likes
    it and wants me to redesign the web site's navigation with horizontal flyout
    menus. Problem is he's played around with it enough and wants me to use the
    work he's already done. PluginLab doesn't work with Dreamweaver (Mac). What
    should I do? I've tried out Pop Menu Magic and like it, but it isn't quite as
    versatile as Plugin Lab. Any ideas of how to work around this situation? Do I
    need to switch platforms just to accomodate Plugin?

    mary Doezema Cooper Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Client wants to use PluginLab for site

    mary Doezema Cooper wrote:
    > I've designed and maintained a web site for a client for years. They are a
    > windows shop and I design using a Mac. Never an issue in the past. however,
    > my client recently bought and started messing around with PluginLab. he likes
    > it and wants me to redesign the web site's navigation with horizontal flyout
    > menus. Problem is he's played around with it enough and wants me to use the
    > work he's already done. PluginLab doesn't work with Dreamweaver (Mac). What
    > should I do? I've tried out Pop Menu Magic and like it, but it isn't quite as
    > versatile as Plugin Lab. Any ideas of how to work around this situation? Do I
    > need to switch platforms just to accomodate Plugin?
    I would presume that the menu code might be hand editable, but you'd have to know the code inside out. The ProjectSeven menus are fairly flexible from what I understand, you should ask over in the support group listed on their site to be sure for your situation though.

    My suggestion, if you cannot find something better to do the job you must charge the client for the costs of purchasing a PC DW license and a copy of that extension.

    --
    Danilo Celic
    | Extending Knowledge Daily : [url]http://CommunityMX.com/[/url]
    | Adobe Community Expert
    danilocelic *ACE* Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Mary:
    I like the Pop Menu Magic by Project Seven more than PluginLab's.

    One possible approach you might take is to high light the negatives of
    PluginLab's.
    I haven't used it for many months, but from what I can remember it is
    strictly JavaScript based. Tell the client that a significant number (some
    say 10% but that seems higher than reality) of web site visitors may have no
    navigation (i.e. the navigation disappears if their javascript is turned
    off). You might show them by turning off the Javascript on the computer they
    are using and show them what it looks like. Secondly, Most Javascript menus
    are also unfriendly to visually handicapped web visitors. Third, Most
    Javascript menus require a much more significant download time than Pop Menu
    Magic (about 3x as big).

    Matt

    "mary Doezema Cooper" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I've designed and maintained a web site for a client for years. They are
    > windows shop and I design using a Mac. Never an issue in the past.
    > however,
    > my client recently bought and started messing around with PluginLab. he
    > likes
    > it and wants me to redesign the web site's navigation with horizontal
    > flyout
    > menus. Problem is he's played around with it enough and wants me to use
    > the
    > work he's already done. PluginLab doesn't work with Dreamweaver (Mac).
    > What
    > should I do? I've tried out Pop Menu Magic and like it, but it isn't
    > quite as
    > versatile as Plugin Lab. Any ideas of how to work around this situation?
    > Do I
    > need to switch platforms just to accomodate Plugin?

    Matthew Guest