Professional Web Applications Themes

clients don't like plugins !! - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi there! I work on director to diplay my 3D model for 3 months and i'm very entusiast about this technologie and my futur clients too. But i received a mail from us that tell me the downloading time for the Shockwave plugin is too long (4Mo) and ask me if there is a more flexible technologie available. :( So my question is: - There is a way to solve the problem without stoping using shockwave technologie? ( this is a 1000 $ question:) - Is Macromedia planned to make a litter plugin? - Is an good argumentation exist to ...

  1. #1

    Default clients don't like plugins !!

    Hi there!

    I work on director to diplay my 3D model for 3 months and i'm very entusiast
    about this technologie and my futur clients too.

    But i received a mail from us that tell me the downloading time for the
    Shockwave plugin is too long (4Mo) and ask me if there is a more flexible
    technologie available. :(

    So my question is:

    - There is a way to solve the problem without stoping using shockwave
    technologie? ( this is a 1000 $ question:)

    - Is Macromedia planned to make a litter plugin?

    - Is an good argumentation exist to make me and my client steal to trust
    that shockwave is the best technologie on the market? (this is a 10000000$
    question ;)

    Frank

    frank Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: clients don't like plugins !!

    > Shockwave plugin is too long (4Mo) and ask me if there is a more flexible
    > technologie available...
    You can bring up wildtangent and their increadible license fee.
    > So my question is:
    >
    > - There is a way to solve the problem without stoping using shockwave
    > technologie? ( this is a 1000 $ question:)
    Make a projector? still big filesize 2Mb+
    > - Is Macromedia planned to make a litter plugin?
    muahaha, they've already got a 'litter' installation of the plugin ;)
    I would not count on them to make a lighter plugin no..
    > > - Is an good argumentation exist to make me and my client steal to trust
    > that shockwave is the best technologie on the market? (this is a 10000000$
    > question ;)
    Well. it's the plugin that most people use for viewing 3d online (what I
    know), choose another one and you are bound to get fewer hits on the site.
    Unless you can do it in flash (bite my lip).
    Oh, and the additional 3 months development cost needed to switch to another
    system will surely speak for you.

    HTH/Christoffer

    Christoffer Enedahl Guest

  3. #3

    1- 49 % of web browsers can display Shockwave 3D contents because they already have the player installed.
    2- Viewpoint comes second with 42% (and then it is only the Viewpoint stub, not the 3D extension)
    3- Contrary to Viewpoint, Macromedia doesn't charge a high fee to deploy contents. Holding a license of Director is enough.
    4- Director MX is compatible with Flash MX
    5- Director is interoperable with XML
    6- When optimized, Shockwave 3D contents play well on entry level machines with a basic 3D graphics card
    7- Shockwave 3D is a versatile engine

    Want more ? It will cost you $100. Just kidding ;-)

    Newt99 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Re:clients don't like plugins !!

    1- 49 % of web browsers can display Shockwave 3D contents because they
    already have the player installed.
    2- Viewpoint comes second with 42% (and then it is only the Viewpoint stub,
    not the 3D extension

    Yep interresting... But where are you found this statistics?

    Frank.

    frank Guest

  5. #5

    That much than that :

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/[/url]

    "frank" <francoisoutgun.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > 1- 49 % of web browsers can display Shockwave 3D contents because they
    > already have the player installed.
    > 2- Viewpoint comes second with 42% (and then it is only the Viewpoint
    stub,
    > not the 3D extension
    >
    > Yep interresting... But where are you found this statistics?
    >
    > Frank.

    Jads Guest

  6. #6

    Just out of curiosity...does the client hate all plugins?

    For example, do they use PDFs on their site? QTVR?

    I've been in too many meetings were one guy goes off about plugin size
    and then a few minutes latter offers up a PDF solution to some other
    problem. Hello! PDF is a plugin! Not only that it's a heck of a lot
    larger then 4mb.

    On the other hand, I've also pointed to the stats found a MM's site
    about how many people have x installed, showed them the download size of
    the other plugins as well as compaired what they can do for the download
    size to "that guy" (multiple people have been that guy). Normally what I
    find out at this point is "that guy" just hates the shockwave plugin.
    Either the person read something that said shockwave bad, or is a
    Flasher hell bent on the destruction of shockwave.

    Which is why I ask the question ;)

    frank wrote:
    >Hi there!
    >
    >I work on director to diplay my 3D model for 3 months and i'm very entusiast
    >about this technologie and my futur clients too.
    >
    >But i received a mail from us that tell me the downloading time for the
    >Shockwave plugin is too long (4Mo) and ask me if there is a more flexible
    >technologie available. :(
    >
    >So my question is:
    >
    >- There is a way to solve the problem without stoping using shockwave
    >technologie? ( this is a 1000 $ question:)
    >
    >- Is Macromedia planned to make a litter plugin?
    >
    >- Is an good argumentation exist to make me and my client steal to trust
    >that shockwave is the best technologie on the market? (this is a 10000000$
    >question ;)
    >
    >Frank

    evt Guest