Professional Web Applications Themes

Clipping Path Bounding Box???? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi I must not be calling this the proper term when I do a search. Here is the problem: I've made a clipping path around a football in Photoshop, saved it as EPS file. I placed this file into Illustrator (Using file Place). The clipping path looks nice, but the image has a box around it. I would like to turn this box off so I can clean up the clipping path in Illustrator a bit around the image, as well as not have to bother with stacking order to get near it. Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Clipping Path Bounding Box????

    Maria_Del_Vecchio@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Clipping Path Bounding Box????

    a box around? do you mean the transformation points? if that is the box,
    have you try to lock the image layer in the Layers Palette? that let you
    work whit the clipping mask in a freely way.

    erickicaza@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Does anyone have experience with Adobe Illustator & a Roland PC-600 printer? If so, we have none & are needing a template made - a simple circle. We will then place logos within this circle and print. The printer will print the circled image and cut it. This image & cut will be identical, and repeated about 80 times up on one sheet. If anyone can help us accomplish, we would be grateful.
    Holly_Easterling@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Maria:

    That is the bounding box of the unclipped Photoshop file.

    To get rid of this, make sure nothing is behind your football, set the blending mode to multiply, then choose object>flatten transparnecy, and the image will be cropped down so that the bounding box of the clipped raster equals the bounding box of the clipping mask.

    Holly:

    You really should start your own thread.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Maria,

    As John said, you are seeing the bounding box of the image which is masked. In Illustrator, the bounding boxes of the contents of clipping masks (clipping paths) display when the clipping mask object is selected. It's a pain, and an often-requested change, but it is what it is.

    Using the Multiply / Flatten Transparency trick John suggested will crop the contained image down to the bounds of the clipping mask, but it will probably not make editing the clipping path any easier.

    If I understand your problem, you seem to already know that to tweak the shape of the football-shaped clipping mask path, directSelect it with the directSelect tool. But it is too easy to accidently select the contents (the image) while trying to do the editing.

    So what you may not know is that you can directSelect the image and lock it, even though it is contained in a clipping path. Then you can edit the clipping path without accidently selecting the image. Even while the contained image is locked, you can still normal-select the whole thing and move it about the page.

    If you have SmartGuides turned on, the bounding box of the image will still highlight when you mouse over it, but you won't be able to select it.

    Holly,

    You really should start your own thread for this. See the thread named "JET to Holly; Roland Print & Cut."

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    For some reason the clipping mask gets duplicated in the flatten process, so after you lock the raster, you might want to direct select the top path and get rid of it.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest