Professional Web Applications Themes

Clipping Paths produce white backgrounds on PDFs from InDesign - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I made a PDF (Color) of an InDesign Doent of which had a drop shadow on a pic with a photoshop(CS2) clipping path. The PDF produced a white background around the Pic with the drop shadow. However, when a Grayscale PDF is made its a perfect file. How do I get rid of/prevent the white background? I am using Mac OS X 10.4.7...

  1. #1

    Default Clipping Paths produce white backgrounds on PDFs from InDesign

    LeTera_Haynes@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Stop using spot colors if you're printing them.

    [url]http://indesignsecrets.com/eliminating-the-white-box-effect.php[/url]

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  3. #3

    It sounds like you are using a spot color behind the image and transparency effect. Is that right?

    If so, is it really a spot color job? If not, convert the spot color to process, and the problem should go away. If the spot color is truly needed, then you will need to have both your PDF viewer (e.g.,Acrobat or Reader) and your printer/RIP need to be set up to honor, not ignore overprint.

    In Acrobat, turn on overprint support by using the Advanced > Overprint Preview menu option. In Reader 7, Overprint Preview is in the preferences, IIRC. I think Apple's Preview.app cannot be made to honor overprints. Depending on your printer/RIP, it may or may not be capable of interpreting overprints.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have experienced this white box effect as well when generating color PDFs from IDCS 3.0.1. unless I choose Adobe 6 Layered as the PDF output. I am using Acrobat 5 on OS 10.2.8 (I know these are older systems/versions, but I have compatibility issues with other software/hardware), so I cannot use the viewing tip in Bob Levine's link.

    But does this mean that only the VIEWING of the PDF is affected (i.e., creating the white box) and that the separations would print fine with the drop shadow effect rendering correctly with no white box? I only use the PDF as way for others to review a doent before printing.

    Thanks!
    Diana Kwong Guest

  5. #5

    If you choose Acrobat 5 compatibility the white box shouldn't be there
    at all.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  6. #6

    If you choose Acrobat 5 compatibility the white box shouldn't be there
    at all.

    Assuming that the "generating" referred to is by exporting from InDesign rather than Distilling or printing to Adobe PDF, that is.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    WOW, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! [Klonk!*] Such a simple solution.

    I use this program every day (and have done so for about 1.5 years migrating from PageMaker 7), and there is still so much to learn... (and little time to learn it).

    Thanks again.

    * Me hitting my head on the desk
    Diana Kwong Guest