Professional Web Applications Themes

clone stamp - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am soooooooo happy, I finally figured out how to use the clone stamp. I took a pic and I wanted to get rid of the electric/phone wires that were in it. using the clone stamp I "cloned" part of the sky above the wires and then put the clone on top of the offensive wires in my photo. I am soooooo happy I was able to figure this out by myself and I did not have to bother anyone on this forum with such a simple operation. I have learned SO much since I found this forum and my ...

  1. #1

    Default clone stamp

    I am soooooooo happy, I finally figured out how to use the clone stamp. I took a pic and I wanted to get rid of the electric/phone wires that were in it. using the clone stamp I "cloned" part of the sky above the wires and then put the clone on top of the offensive wires in my photo. I am soooooo happy I was able to figure this out by myself and I did not have to bother anyone on this forum with such a simple operation. I have learned SO much since I found this forum and my photos have improved so much that I "almost" think I don't need a new camera anymore. imagine that, it wasn't my fault the pics weren't all that good, it must have been the camera. maybe I need a new & better (more expensive) one. well anyway, thanks to the wonderful people here I am finally learning how to use PSE 2 and my "photos" are starting to show it.
    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: clone stamp

    I LOVE IT!!!! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    George ... Isn't it great when you figure something out and it works :)
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    My brother has always joked that my best pictures all have power lines in them. And he is right, as some of the better ones DO. But now, thanks to the clone stamp, they can be taken out.
    I made some photos standing on a place where all the lines come out of our local Cape Cod C power plant into a junction area, just for him, and then showed him the same pictures after I had clone stamped the wires and towers all out.
    That was a hit, he got quite a kick out of that.
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jane, do you have Mikkel Aaland's book? There's a really effective power
    line removal technique in it that doesn't use the clone tool; works on areas
    of sky where there are relatively continuous tones (p.160-161). Basically,
    you make a rough selection of the wire with the lasso tool or selection
    brush and feather the selection by about 5 pixels. Then you use the arrow
    keys to move the selection above or below the wire into some clear sky.
    Then, while holding down the Command-Option keys, use the arrow keys to
    'nudge' a copy of the sky in the selection back over the wires. Might
    require a little cloning to clean up, but it's pretty fast!

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Chuck,

    I found that technique in Mikkel Aaland's book a while back and find that it gives a much better effect on larger areas than the clone tool does. If I'm feeling lazy I don't even bother with the "nudge" I just go in there with "move" then tidy up the edges afterwards.

    Wendy
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I just got his book yesterday, and I have just begun to look at it, and it is awesome!
    Much of it will be beyond me at the moment, but it shall be right here on my desk for projects that I can understand. Oh, what a book!
    The power lines will really get their come-uppance with this book.
    Saved and will print your tutoral and put it into the book.
    All my PSE books are full of printed instructions from this forum, and they are in the right places to go and find them when I need them. All my books look as if they have white ears,,,,and tailfeathers,,, What a library I have aculated, and it is all here when I am ready, thanks to you all here!
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick_Smith@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator

  10. #10

    I, recently, came across another method using duplicate layers and the eraser. When trying to repair intricate parts if photographs it can be really useful.

    The tutorial is at <http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=52>

    Wendy
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yes, I just bought Mikkel's book, haven't had time to look at any of my 3 new books yet as we have had a big project going on here, but should have some bad weather soon, and I will be forced back indoors, and able to get back to PSE and my new books. Took a quick glance, an awesome book!

  12. #12

    Chuck...or anyone,
    What is the name of Mikkel Aaland's book and where can I buy it?
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Bert,

    The Mikkel Aaland book is "Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions: The Art of Digital Photography" and can be found here <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141404/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-7839005-6759366?v=glance&s=books>.

    Barb
    imacgirl@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Barb,
    Thanks.

  15. #15

    Bert,

    Good for you, it's an excellent book! One of my favorites; I think it's a must have for PSE 2 users.

  16. #16

    Barb,
    They even gave me free shipping, which was nice. Now, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to 2.0...although I imagine most of the techniques will apply to 1.0 as well.

  17. #17

    Bert,

    I had no idea you were using PSE 1. They do have the book for PSE 1 which can be found here <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782129730/qid=1069007557/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-9076634-0681421?v=glance&s=books>. I think they both should be very similar. Maybe someone who has the PSE 1 book can chime in and let you know. I often use books for Photoshop 7 and can get most of the same techniques to work. PSE 2 does have the Selection Brush, which I don't think PSE 1 has. So, maybe it's time to upgrade to 2. Oh yeah, and you can't beat that free shipping!

  18. #18

    Bert and Barb: The books are nearly identical. There'll be a few things
    you can't do with PE1, but not much. Bert, it may spur you to invest in 2!

  19. #19

    Thanks Chuck. I thought that would be the case. I almost ordered the PSE 1 version by accident myself when I got mine many months ago...the books look almost identical at Amazon.

  20. #20

    I've been planning to upgrade both Elements and Album to 2.0. It's not the money...I'm just used to the 1.0 versions, and so there hasn't been any great need to upgrade...but I figured buying this book would give me a push...
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast