Professional Web Applications Themes

Cloned boot drive boots to windows, then automatically logs me off -- Help! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've got a dual-boot system (Windows 2000 Pro & Slackware). I'm trying to upgrade my main drive in my laptop from a 40GB to 60GB drive. I've tried cloning the old drive using both DriveImage 7 and just using my Linux boot CD to make a 1-to-1 copy (the second, I know, is not a good strategy, given different disk geometries). What happens when Windows boots (and it *does* boot) on the cloned drive is, it gets to the login screen, I log in, and then, after some disk access, it says "Saving settings" and then gives me the login ...

  1. #1

    Default Cloned boot drive boots to windows, then automatically logs me off -- Help!

    I've got a dual-boot system (Windows 2000 Pro & Slackware).

    I'm trying to upgrade my main drive in my laptop from a 40GB to 60GB drive.
    I've tried cloning the old drive using both DriveImage 7 and just using
    my Linux boot CD to make a 1-to-1 copy (the second, I know, is not a good
    strategy, given different disk geometries).

    What happens when Windows boots (and it *does* boot) on the cloned drive is,
    it gets to the login screen, I log in, and then, after some disk access,
    it says "Saving settings" and then gives me the login screen again.

    Anybody seen this behavior? I'm assuming it can't find some important
    system files, but I don't see why it would boot in the first place if
    it couldn't find them.

    My setup is as follows:

    C: FAT Primary partition with BootMagic on it
    D: Windows 2000 Pro partition (NTFS) (logical)
    E: NTFS partition (logical)
    - Linux boot partition (logical)
    - Linux Swap partition (logical)
    - Linux partition (logical)

    Linux boots without any problems (of course :-) ).

    Any ideas out there?

    - Tim

    P.S. For the cross-posted linux groups, I ask here because many of you use
    a dual-boot scenario, and may have encountered this before.

    --

    Spammay Guest

  2. #2

    Try MBRtool and have a reset the diskmanager signature bytes.

    So far, 8 out of 10 it works.

    Joep

    --
    D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
    http://www.diydatarecovery.com

    Please include previous correspondence!

    DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
    iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
    MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.

    "Spammay Blockay" <com> wrote in message
    drive.
    is,

    Joep Guest

  3. #3

    It sounds to me like Windows cannot locate any swapfile at all.

    You may be able to boot the machine up to the login prompt and then use
    another machine to attach to the registry remotely and modify the following
    key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory
    Management

    You want to change the PagingFiles value to reflect a currently-available
    location and size.

    Also, this value is of type RegMultiSZ, so you will need to use regedt32.exe
    to modify it (unless you use Windows XP, where RegEdit contains this
    functionality).

    Regards

    Oli

    "Spammay Blockay" <com> wrote in message
    drive.
    is,

    Oli Guest

  4. #4

    In article <eP$phx.gbl>,
    Oli Restorick [MVP] <org> wrote:

    I forgot to mention -- when I cloned the drive using DriveImage 7, I
    had this behavior, but no error messages.

    However, when I did a straight disk copy from my Linux boot CD,
    I got a message about the paging file being not large enough,
    and instructions on how to modify it. All the same, it started
    to log me in, then logged me out.

    Is the paging file known to Windows by a block offset rather than
    a filename (even though it appears as a regular file in NTFS)?

    I wonder why, if I did a straight copy, it wouldn't work... perhaps
    drive-letter assignment isn't happening as expected? I'll research paging
    file setup on Win2K, anyway. Thanks!

    - Tim

    --

    Spammay Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.misc Spammay Blockay <com> wrote:

    Yes, I saw it many times with other cloning tools. Solution: slap
    a Windows CD in and reinstall Windows. Or just throw the bloody
    Wincrap away.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bnbs1e$uq5d0$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Davide Bianchi <net> wrote:

    >Yes, I saw it many times with other cloning tools. Solution: slap
    >a Windows CD in and reinstall Windows. Or just throw the bloody
    >Wincrap away.[/ref]

    Can't do either of those -- too much already on my Windows installation
    (updates, mods, etc.). And I'm a software developer, and, sorry to say,
    the Windows-based tools *are* generally better than current Linux and
    Java-based tools. I've used 'em both. I *do* have Cygwin, tho'. :-)

    - Tim

    --

    Spammay Guest

  7. #7

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    > Can't do either of those -- too much already on my Windows installation
    > (updates, mods, etc.).AndI'masoftwaredeveloper,and,sorryt osay,
    > the Windows-based tools are generally better than current Linux and
    > Java-based tools.I'veused'emboth.IdohaveCygwin,tho '.:-)[/ref]

    .... if you're a *developer*, then the ONLY REAL solution is
    to run winders under VMWare with Linux as the host. no more
    duel-booting. install winOS, then all your tools, all the
    patches, then, save off the image file someplace. when winOS
    crps out, copy over the saved-off image and voila', you're
    back in business. plus you have the added advantage of adding
    other OSes too, such as other Linuxes.

    BTW, dont x-post to more than a couple of newsgroups
    ..
    ADA, n.: Something you need only know the name of to be an Expert
    in Computing. Useful in sentences like, "We had better develop
    an ADA awareness."

    mjt Guest

  8. #8

    "Spammay Blockay" <com> wrote in message
    news:bnbto7$5se$sonic.net... [/ref]
    <com> wrote:

    > >Yes, I saw it many times with other cloning tools. Solution: slap
    > >a Windows CD in and reinstall Windows. Or just throw the bloody
    > >Wincrap away.[/ref]
    >
    > Can't do either of those -- too much already on my Windows installation
    > (updates, mods, etc.). And I'm a software developer, and, sorry to say,
    > the Windows-based tools *are* generally better than current Linux and
    > Java-based tools. I've used 'em both. I *do* have Cygwin, tho'. :-)[/ref]

    *WRONG* newsgroups for this, guys. Pick a group to followup to, and please
    get it off the Linux newsgroups, although some of your most knowledgable
    people will be there.

    I'd recommend taking the Windows installation CD and doing an "Upgrade" with
    it. In many cases of corrupted messes, this will reset enough of the core OS
    but leave many if not all of the software and settings installed after the
    fact unbroken.

    And definitely take the disk out and do a *REAL* backup of the core data to
    another machine or a tape drive or CD, first.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:52:34 GMT,
    Spammay Blockay <com> wrote:

    It depends on how files are accessed, relative paths should work, but
    once you stumble on a file addressed by a full path (with drive letter)
    you're sunk.

    I've seen it. AFTER YOU CLONE THE DISK, YOU NEED TO SHUT DOWN AND
    REMOVE THE CLONE. If you boot windows without doing so it will change
    the drive letters on the second disk.

    You need to do a secondary install, boot from it and change the affected
    partitions to their previous drive letters.

    One of many problems with drive letters. (Interestingly, if you have
    telnet enabled on W2K, you can log in, which is how I found the problem.
    The solution was found on the MS Knowledge Base.)

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest