Professional Web Applications Themes

Close Browser Window behaviour - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

Hi, Not an ideal solution this... but the boss wants a website to open (from the first page) in a browser window without any toolbars, address bars etc. I figure the only way to do this is to build a Redirect page with a 'Open Browser Window' behaviour with the Onload action attached to a small transparent gif image. Can anyone please point me towards a Javascript behaviour that I can then add to the redirect page to get it to close after the redirect? (I know it's kinda bad-practice this, forcing browser windows to close, and if anyone can ...

  1. #1

    Default Close Browser Window behaviour

    Hi,

    Not an ideal solution this... but the boss wants a website to open (from the
    first page) in a browser window without any toolbars, address bars etc.

    I figure the only way to do this is to build a Redirect page with a 'Open
    Browser Window' behaviour with the Onload action attached to a small
    transparent gif image.

    Can anyone please point me towards a Javascript behaviour that I can then add
    to the redirect page to get it to close after the redirect?

    (I know it's kinda bad-practice this, forcing browser windows to close, and if
    anyone can suggest an alternative to get an initial webpage to open up in a
    'bare' browser window then i'm desparate to know!)

    cheers
    Jon

    dammit! Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Close Browser Window behaviour

    Wow, that's simply a terrible idea. Is his goal to anger and frustrate
    visitors? And of course, the site will do nothing whatsoever if a
    visitor has JavaScript disabled.

    Invest whatever time you would have invested in designing such a site
    into convincing him that it is a horrible idea. You'll both be better
    for it.

    Brett

    bdconrad@gmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    So, your boss doesn't want anyone to be able to view the site when they have
    a pop-up blocker enabled - which is on by default in IE on XP Pro SP2 and of
    course, built in to FireFox etc.

    I think he needs to understand more about usability and how the web works
    before blindly making these uninformed decisions.

    If you still have to do this (for your soon to be low traffic website :)
    then try applying an open browser window behaviour to the onload event of
    the page or an image on the page.

    It's not a great idea though :)
    HTH
    Rob